Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:22 PM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Uh, a literal lawn dart. SWEET!!! Good thing we had a thaw the last couple of days! LOL
Old 03-06-2011, 08:42 PM
9sec240

Wow Chuck, up past your bed time AND on a work night to boot!! LOL. I bet you are too excited to sleep anyway. Enjoy your first day at work buddy.

Here is how you lawn dart a plane....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbsDnXeyyng[/youtube]

And this is how you do it without lawn darting...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2gOi8icFmM[/youtube]
Old 03-07-2011, 06:38 AM
billmay
My Feedback: (1)

Ivan - After watching that lawn dart video it's apparent that you've finally gotten to my skill level!!! At least yours didn't end up being a pile of balsa sticks and dust!

Nice flying and it looks like you were having a lot of fun!!

Bill
Old 03-07-2011, 02:07 PM
dknovick

ORIGINAL: 9sec240

Nice to see you back Dave. That hexcopter really looks cool. I have been wanting to build a tricopter for a while using the Gaui GU365 as the controller. Keep us updated on your project.
Nice to be back! Ya know Gaui has the 330X Quad?

This Hexa is all decked out. GPS, navigation computer, FPV, etc. So it should be a fun build and fun flights.

Nice foamies (err, lawn darts)! Using free plans? Going to branch out and design something yourself sometime? (Yet another thing I want to get back into).

-Dave
Old 03-07-2011, 05:29 PM
9sec240

Dave, thanks. I have looked at the Gaui 330x and know several people that have them and they are nice. I kind of like the build and experimentation of scratch building one though. Plus I already have a GU365.

I am having a riot with the foamies. My collection is getting quite large. I have built five dekan F-22s, one plane blue F-22, a cub, Alley Cat, DS Wing, two KESL wings, a mKISL, the F-117A... then I have a collection of ARFs too... LOL. Planes are a lot of fun too. Still flying the helis though.

My Multiplex FunJet flight from yesterday.... FAST!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXDXiMaFMJc[/youtube]
Old 03-07-2011, 05:38 PM
maxmax77

nice flying with the multiplex, that thing HAULS! Love the f-117 too! I'm just too immersed in heli-land to pull out and build another few planks now
Old 03-08-2011, 08:04 AM
9sec240

Chuck, how was your first day?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:43 PM
dknovick

ORIGINAL: 9sec240

I am having a riot with the foamies. My collection is getting quite large. I have built five dekan F-22s, one plane blue F-22, a cub, Alley Cat, DS Wing, two KESL wings, a mKISL, the F-117A... then I have a collection of ARFs too... LOL. Planes are a lot of fun too. Still flying the helis though.

My Multiplex FunJet flight from yesterday.... FAST!!!
Helicopter + planes... Where do you live, since I'm sure your house is filled.

Cameraman did a much better job at following the plane then I did. Tiny little spec (much more fun to watch Helis!)
Ya know the FunJet makes a great FPV platform... (since it's a pusher)

Chuck-
Yeah, I second what Ivan says!

-Dave
Old 03-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Enthlapy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvXAsjFX5KM

This thing is sooo much fun to fly, I’m thinking about making a fiberglass version of it.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:26 PM
9sec240

ORIGINAL: dknovick

Helicopter + planes... Where do you live, since I'm sure your house is filled.

Cameraman did a much better job at following the plane then I did. Tiny little spec (much more fun to watch Helis!)
Ya know the FunJet makes a great FPV platform... (since it's a pusher)

-Dave
Three bedroom house... one for the helis, one for the planes and one for me. Not even kidding. LOL

Alex did a good job following the plane. Next time we should have a better camera to film with so the video should be better.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:01 PM
maxmax77

parents ok-ed me skipping school to go skiing today..it was a "mental health day" [8D] I'm acing all my classes though so no worries in that respect. but the person I skied with got some quality video of me hitting some jumps, when he uploads it I'll post it (youtube this time!)

+2, how was the first day chuck?

Alex, do itt!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:55 PM
dunkonu23

Yeah, Chuck...

How was the first day?

Scott
Old 03-08-2011, 06:19 PM
dunkonu23

I finished the setup of my Mini V-bar today.   It should have been easy, but it wasn't because this is a new build. 

1.  I had a major brainfart yesterday when I setup the servos.  I didn't use the little pointer MA provides to "center" the servo arm.   Basically, while the servo is at center, you don't center the arm with respect to the servo.  You center the arm on the pointer, that way it compensates for the 4/5 mm difference in aileron/pitch servo versus the elevator servo rotational axis.   I actually called MA on this.    Oh, well.

2.  I found the cyclic link lengths were wrong in the Furion Manual, by 3 mm.  That meant I had to trim the links rods, 2mm off each side.  I came to this conclusion when there was nothing I could do within the electronics adjustments of the Mini V-bar or radio to compensate for more positive than negative pitch.  After that, setting up cyclic was dirt easy.  I've got +-13 collective pitch and +-8 cyclic.  I could have easily gotten more but opted to stay in the center of +-12/+-14 collective range recommendation for the Vbar.  I had to turn down cyclic in the software.  It was +-10 out of the box.

3.  Tail servo.  Within the setup directions of the mini-Vbar, there is no way to determine center of the servo once it's plugged in.  I could find no way to get the tail to go into rate mode so center would hold and I could find the right position of the arm.   It took some trial and error to find a position that would give equal throw. 

4.  The tail has about 6 degrees of pitch built in when you center the slider... very cool, but the link rod is a bit on the short side, IMO.  I got it right but  I wish I had more threads on the rod to use.  I ended up counting turns and used CA for more security in the link. 

I got the motor yesterday and it's installed... no biggie.   Next up is ESC/BEC but that can wait until I get batteries.    It's gonna wait a bit.

Scott
Old 03-09-2011, 07:40 AM
dunkonu23

Ordered batteries today...

Voltz 4500 45C 5S.  I could only afford two... So, it may fly this weekend.

Scott
Old 03-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Disney1

Careful that you do not need the Crying Towel, Just the Sweat Towel.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:45 AM
dunkonu23

ORIGINAL: Disney1

Careful that you do not need the Crying Towel, Just the Sweat Towel.

You got that right, Ron. I'm hoping for a calm day so Ican at least try to do an autotrim flight. I'm excited as all get out!

Scott
Old 03-09-2011, 12:30 PM
maxmax77

scott, that's so cool..get it uup!!

well, I just figured out you can get a rtf hk-250 (minus tx/rx) for like $70 from hobbyking! hmm..
-Max
Old 03-09-2011, 12:52 PM
karlik

Been away a while dealing with personal stuff - lost a good friend.

ORIGINAL: clp.eng

I'd like to see one of these companies offer the micros with a tail that doesn't use a motor. I'd be impressed then!

Chuck
Walkera makes a 4#6 fixed pitch with a drive shaft tail (the main is a small brushless motor). It's been around longer than the Ufly so I guess that makes my Ufly a larger vesion of the 4#6. Heading hold tail. Probably very much like a smaller guru with a shaft instead of belt. My brother has one (I did my first nose in his bedroom with the 4#6). If you are serious about a small indoor heli, I give it a big thumbs up (unless you wanna spend the bucks on a CP).
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkEqACliirc[/link]

Just tried to log in at youtube - and it tells me I have to create an account at google. First thing I see is it auto selected to track my web activity - I'm not sure I want to sign up for an account when they default to that. Has anyone else done this? I don't use google for anything - not my search engine, no email there - nothing. Does it create another email account I'll never use? Does it install that stupid google tool bar? Does it change my home page or modify my settimgs so now default search engine is google? To be honest, I'm leaning towards moving all my videos to the one Max uses (vimeo?).

Welcome back Dave. Has your employer installed a missle defense sytem to protect the investment?
Old 03-09-2011, 01:35 PM
dknovick

Ivan-
No, I didn't think you where kidding. Don't get involved with cars or boats, or you'll be sleeping outside (maybe for more than one reason!)

Max-
Nice! I haven't been on the slopes in a while.

Scott-
"It should have been easy, but it wasn't because this is a new build." Isn't that true for, well, everything? Sounds like you're getting. Remember to enjoy the journey! Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Larry-
Sorry to hear about your friend. No missile defense (LOL), but I was going to add an airborne laser system, just in case.
I just logged out and then logged back into youtube, and I don't have a google email account., and it didn't ask me to create one. I know the two can be tied together, since you need a google/youtube account to root your Nook Color...

I imagine it would create another email account for you, but can't say if it will install the google toolbar. I can see not wanting the other things, but if not the google search engine, what do you use?

-Dave
Old 03-09-2011, 02:07 PM
karlik

ORIGINAL: dknovick

Larry-
No missile defense (LOL), but I was going to add an airborne laser system, just in case.
I just logged out and then logged back into youtube, and I don't have a google email account., and it didn't ask me to create one. I know the two can be tied together, since you need a google/youtube account to root your Nook Color...

I imagine it would create another email account for you, but can't say if it will install the google toolbar. I can see not wanting the other things, but if not the google search engine, what do you use?

-Dave
Hadn't thought about lasers - I feel another video editing session coming on.

I use the original search engine (well not "the" original, but almost) yahoo.

And I am totally locked out of you tube at this point -

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52180.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	1576084  
Old 03-09-2011, 02:14 PM
dunkonu23

Ihave a thing about privacy with Google, too. About the only thing Ido with Google is search and Youtube. I don't use their E-mail service and I don't use their home page. Iknow Google tracks searches and "may" keep data that can point to the source, but I know they only keep such data for 18 months.I think it's reasonable. I use my ISP's for E-mail, though. I don't think there's any getting away from someone knowing something about things your IP address is doing uniess you jump around and/or piggyback. Iremember the days of anon.penet.fi where they guaranteed anonymity... until it was used for illegal activity. Nowadays, unless you're your own ISP, and Imean you get a circuit from a company like Verizon, or have an ISP that allows you to host your own E-mail server and SMTP relay, privacy is a shooting match.

Dave.. it's getting close. I'm hoping the batteries arrive tomorrow and I can get the remaining electronics installed, canopy mounted, and CG sorted. Then it's up, up, and away!

Scott
Old 03-09-2011, 02:50 PM
maxmax77

ORIGINAL: dunkonu23

I have a thing about privacy with Google, too. About the only thing I do with Google is search and Youtube. I don't use their E-mail service and I don't use their home page. I know Google tracks searches and ''may'' keep data that can point to the source, but I know they only keep such data for 18 months. I think it's reasonable. I use my ISP's for E-mail, though. I don't think there's any getting away from someone knowing something about things your IP address is doing uniess you jump around and/or piggyback. I remember the days of anon.penet.fi where they guaranteed anonymity... until it was used for illegal activity. Nowadays, unless you're your own ISP, and I mean you get a circuit from a company like Verizon, or have an ISP that allows you to host your own E-mail server and SMTP relay, privacy is a shooting match.

Scott
the thing that really ticks me off is how facebook uses you. if you go on facebook and "like" certain things, such as musicians for example, you go on itunes and whoa! magic! they have reccomendations for you
Old 03-09-2011, 03:56 PM
phillyD

About the google and youtube thing, All I did was click on the sign out highlighted in blue, and that was the end of that.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:14 PM
9sec240

I had the same issue trying to log into YouTube a little while ago. I guess I had a gmail account from way back and was able to get back into my YouTube. It really pissed me off too.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:37 PM
karlik

ORIGINAL: phillyD

About the google and youtube thing, All I did was click on the sign out highlighted in blue, and that was the end of that.
Yeah - I can do that to watch other peoples vids, but I can't upload my own movies or or make comments or anything.

If this is just a basic sign in account I don't mind, but google, and yahoo, and msn, and aol, etc are all notorius for changing things like home page and tool bar and so on. It's like if you listen to rock music and when you get an oil change the guy changes all of your presets on your car radio to country western.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.