Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Old 09-26-2012, 04:21 AM
9sec240

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Chuck, yeah.. I would have preferred an unfinished basement but I am sure I can make use of it. There is a lot of closet space for the heli stuff so the only real storage issues will be the planes. I might have to pare down the collection a bit or maybe hang some out in the garage. I asked for a mid November closing date and hopefully there are no delays.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:15 AM
phillyD

Sir Ivan
I really really realy hope everything works out to your advantage with this house biz.

Right Sir Chucky
I flew it last night..only when I bent down to rest the transmitter down I fell of the bed; very nice dream though
Old 09-26-2012, 08:34 AM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: phillyD
Right Sir Chucky
I flew it last night..only when I bent down to rest the transmitter down I fell of the bed; very nice dream though
LMAO!!!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:21 PM
clp.eng

Ivan - I've seen some very creative racks. The 2 instructors EACH have over 75 airplanes! When I asked where they kept them, I got the vague "Oh, you find places.". I have no idea were to store the new T-28! Do you have 8' ceilings in the basement? I figured that's the minimum I would need to sit on the floor & fly a heli!

Phil - I'm still chuckling...

clp
Old 09-27-2012, 04:08 AM
9sec240

Phil, thank you sir.

Chuck, the basement has a drop ceiling and some boxed in support beams so it is less than ideal for flying. The first floor does have 9' ceilings though. I think the big planes will likely end up hanging in the garage. Small planes.. not sure yet.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:11 PM
clp.eng

Dang if my old company didn't call me up & offer me a temp contractor job doing what I did for them for 18 yrs. They offered a gross amount of money, so, of course, I said I would do it. My PayPal account really took a hit this year & this gives me a chance to replenish it. They say 3 to 6 months or more. I told them I'd only work 2 days a week to start.

Anybody seen the manual for my alarm clock?????

Chuck
Old 09-28-2012, 03:58 PM
9sec240

Awesome Chuck, happy to hear that.

I think I am going to hit up the KOHLS tonight and check out the RC cars.

Where has Scott been?
Old 09-28-2012, 04:16 PM
clp.eng

I'll see you there, Ivan!

Chuck
Old 09-29-2012, 06:19 AM
dunkonu23

I'm here, bro... just quietly watching.. seeing what's going on.   Still checking out motor homes.   I just wish I knew more about them so I would feel more comfortable making a choice.    I have it narrowed down to three.   There are things in each that we like and things we don't like so we may have to compromise in some ways.    So far:

http://www.atkinsrv.com/pre_owned_de...=2869922 

This one is at the top of the list.  It has all new carpetI saw the guys putting it in.

http://www.atkinsrv.com/pre_owned_de...R0&veh=2862353

This one is very clean and has a super large slide.  But no bedroom slide so...

http://www.atkinsrv.com/pre_owned_de...R0&veh=2819091

This one is great but it doesn't have as much storage as the first and second one. 

We really like basement storage.   

Scott
Old 09-29-2012, 06:36 AM
9sec240

Scott, the first link does not show a specific RV.

Chuck, nice hanging out with you last night. If I go out there again, I will be better prepared. Maybe get some lights on the dragster and bring my traction compound and some bigger pinions.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:34 AM
dunkonu23

Thanks, Ivan...

Hopefully this one works:

http://www.atkinsrv.com/pre_owned_de...R0&veh=2869922

This is the motor home at the top of our list. About the only thing I plan to do with it is cycle the front TV to the bedroom and install a 32" TV in its place. Oh... yeah... I'm checking on wiring the RV for a Hopper and Joey and using a portable, tripod, or side mounted Dish network home dish so we can get everything we would normally get at home while parked. To be honest, I'm more thrilled with the challenge of wiring the RV for a Hopper and Joey than any other aspect of owning one. About the only thing my wife doesn't like is the lack of a second window in the bedroom.

I've done a lot of research and there's a lot of upkeep and general sanitary practices that must be followed. Things like sanitizing the potable water tank, cleaning the black water tank, winterizing, etc. My only concern is the mechanical and structural viability of these things.

Scott

Old 09-29-2012, 07:37 PM
clp.eng

Hay, Scott, didn't the guy who started this thread work designing RVs? That thing is bigger than my house!

Ivan - Nice to catch up w/ you & N. Ya', going only 63 MPH is pretty boring! LOL Got my new LiPo for the truck today - WOW, fast! I can't believe there's that big of a difference between battery chemistry!

There was a guy w/ a van at the parking lot for the unofficial R/C car & truck racing. He had in the van:
Refrigerator, water cooler, espresso maker in place of the passenger seat
Behind there he had a large gas generator that he moved out of the van on a wooden ramp & an electric winch, two folding work tables were above the generator
Back of the van he had a ~32 LCD TV sitting on a shelf w/ maybe 5 or 6 cars, the bottom had power outlets, power supplies, chargers, spare parts & tools & more cars
The space behind the drivers seat had 2 shelves. The floor had tools & a large bucket full of wheels & tires, plus a couple of gallons of fuel, shelf one had bins full of stuff, the top shelf had bunches of batteries, more parts & tools
On the roof he had three drivers' aluminum folding platforms

This guy definitely crossed Ivan's fine line! LOL

No work next week as they "forgot" to schedule me a drug test! So I'm still a free man!
Chuck
Old 09-29-2012, 07:49 PM
dunkonu23

Chuck,

I honestly don't know what the guy did. I guess Ishould search back and see.

It's not as big as any house. But, I do think it will be a nice place to stay at IRCHA and other events. I just hope there's nothing wrong with any of those three as I'm really tired of looking and those meet my criteria of low mileage and good features. I literally know squat about anything else.

Scott
Old 09-30-2012, 06:05 AM
9sec240

Scott, they look nice. Like others mentioned on HF, diesel is the way to go. I hate the smell of diesel but the mileage and power you get from a turbo diesel blows a gas motor out of the water. The rolling earthquake description is accurate. Things loosen up constantly and need to be maintained. We have also found that some manufacturers have no clue how to assemble an RV. Our first toterhome always smelled. Very poor installation of the water tanks. Our current RV's black water tank was not vented properly and during turns would "burp" into the RV and stink.

We found out that potable water can rot and smell worse than anything you can imagine. Dumping a couple big bags of ice down the toilet into the black water tank then driving to where you will dump will help knock solids loose and make for easier cleaning of the tank. If you see an issue, fix it ASAP. Things get worse in a hurry on an RV.

Looking forward to next year. Hopefully I will be all settled by then and can take the time to drive our RV out and really enjoy IRCHA.

Chuck, those guys were crazy. Nica said the dude with the van was married. I just can't believe that. I stopped by my storage unit and grabbed the stuff for my dragster. Going to look at putting lights on it and gearing it up for higher speeds.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:30 AM
dunkonu23

Thing is Ivan, Ican't afford diesel. Iwish Icould, but there's just no other way around it so I'm looking at what Ican afford and either get it or not get it. If Idon't get one, I'll be disappointed because we have plans to use one more than just for IRCHAand other events. Then there's our dog. We pretty much have to find a way to get Schumi everywhere with us for overnighters next year due to our daughter getting married. We won't use a kennel because Schumi would be traumatizedhe literally waits and sleeps by the door until we get home. So, we figured we'd take Schumi wherever we go next year, but I don't want to pay pet deposits for hotel rooms. So, it's a problem.

Scott
Old 09-30-2012, 08:33 AM
9sec240

I hear you Scott. Nica and I are actually taking my buddy and his wife out for lunch today to pay them back for watching our dogs during IRCHA.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:28 AM
dunkonu23

Man, ain't it the truth... we've been lucky for the past 4 IRCHA's... we had our daughter... now? The way I figure it, the only difference between staying in a hotel or getting a motor home and going to IRCHAor car to IRCHA and hotel with Schumi is the cost of the pet deposit. I'm gonna eat a lot of gas but when you add the cost of gas, meals, the room with the car - it's a wash. It will cost more to go to IRCHAin a car than in a motorhome. We probably won't tow a car there, so we're going to have to plan very effectively or drive to a grocery store in an RV.

Scott
Old 09-30-2012, 10:51 AM
dknovick

ORIGINAL: 9sec240

Dave, the new house has a finished basement and I am going to try to keep the hobby stuff there. I am sure it will likely spread and multiply though.

Love the last picture of all the climbing gear.
That's a good plan, but like Chuck sez, we all know how you are and what will happen. Don't change man! Enjoy the house.

Had to include all the colorful climbing stuff in the picture!

Chuck-
Yeah, I hear ya about water. My wife and I miss it as well. Did I mention no mold/mildew/skeeters?
Glad to hear your getting stick time, and that you just flipped the D/R switch.

Kindles are fun. I'm more of a Nook fan. Enjoy it, I know I do. I throw all of my PDF manuals on the reader so that I can take it all with me (heli, TX, etc.).

Awesome about the second job.

phD-
LOL, sweet dreams!

Scott-
Good luck with the RV's

I finished reading the Heli Flight Training last week. For me, there was a lot of good stuff. Really helped with visualizing turns *cough* Chuck *cough*. The way he explained it, you set the bank with the aileron (roll the heli a bit), and then fly through the turn with a slight up elevator and keep the rudder set to a certain position. While in the turn, if the heli is pointing outside of the turn, add more rudder, if the heli is pointing inside the turn, add less rudder.

Lots of good stuff on turns, circles, and more advanced stuff like stall turns, loops, flips, rolls, and inverted hover (and other stuff).
I liked the writing style so much I also purchased, Park Flying 1-2-3D. He's also got "One Week to Solo", "Sport Aerobatics", "Precision Aerobatics", and "Advanced Aerobatics"

Got some carbon fiber props for the Hex, they are suppose to quieter than the APC plastic ones. Haven't had the chance to try 'em out.
One thing for sure, they are sexy!

-Dave

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52519.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1806439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38050.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1806440  
Old 09-30-2012, 07:21 PM
clp.eng

Ivan - I would not believe that guy was married! Except to his hobby, must be an understanding partner...

Scott - good luck w/ the motor home hunt.

Dave - LOL! Sounds like you understand what he is saying. Now lets see the vids of you putting it into practice, then I'll think about buying it! LOL BTW, I'm no longer employed (by choice this time)! I would have preferred getting the Nexus 7 but the tablet really belongs to the missus, so it had to be real easy to use.

Chuck
Old 10-01-2012, 04:23 AM
9sec240

Dave, is the big hex already flying? Those CF props do look nice..
Old 10-01-2012, 01:35 PM
clp.eng

Ivan - you'll be glad to hear I finally landed. Actually, a bunch of take offs & landing w/ the Tuff Trainer. A bunch of take offs w/ the T-28 & one grass belly landing (infield was a bit short for this newbie!).

Dave - did I mention drinking water from a source within 25 miles, baths, flush toilets, brushing teeth, etc? LOL Skeeters with West Nile, yet...

The pic is the results of my 1st take off where I gave a little down instead of a little up. The infield was coverd in fine gravel! I wonder if I can round off the corners & use it as an 8x2 prop??

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80257.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1806991  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:53 AM
9sec240

That is great Chuck. I can't wait to see how the airplane flying will help your helicopter piloting.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:17 PM
dknovick

ORIGINAL: clp.eng

Dave - LOL! Sounds like you understand what he is saying. Now lets see the vids of you putting it into practice, then I'll think about buying it! LOL BTW, I'm no longer employed (by choice this time)! I would have preferred getting the Nexus 7 but the tablet really belongs to the missus, so it had to be real easy to use.
It is starting to click. And I have a better feel for what I'm suppose to do in a turn. I've been practicing in the sim, both nose in hovers and what he calls procedure turns. I'm tired of being apprehensive about nose-in. Git 'er done!

Glad it was your choice in the lack-of-employment, and the soon-to-be-employment.

Ah the google tablet! Good choice. Yeah, if I wasn't all ready playing with the Nook color, I would get the Nexus 7. I can understand the need for a wife friendly tablet. But the biggest question is can you play Angry Birds on the Kindle? (You can on the Nook).

Ouch on the props! More like 4x4 (diameter x pitch). ...4x4... Does that make it an all terrain prop? Maybe that will help in the gravel.

Ivan-
Yeah, the new CF hex (CineStar6) is up and flying. We have a large hanger at work where we've finally gotten permission to fly (how big is the hanger? 1/2 has a 737 and a Lear jet, the other half is empty). AND we've finally have all the paperwork in place to fly outside.

The CF props are suppose to be quieter. If all goes will this weekend, I'll try to take a before video with the APC, and an after with the CF.

Side question: Has anyone ever had their Spektrum satellite receiver (from a AR8000) die on them? The Flight controller (FC) on the hex only uses the satellite receiver (the output is actually a serial stream). I was happily flying in the hanger when the bird went a big nuts, I had lost communication and it came down in a hard landing (the FC has a fail safe when it doesn't see the transmitter, and nothing broke).

I though it might be low batteries on the DX8... nope, the TX was at ~5V
I though it might be my wiring from the receiver to the FC... nope, it all checks out.
I thought it might have lost a bind (would that happen?)... can't really say since I couldn't get it to rebind.

Digging deeper, I can check to see that 3.3V is getting into the receiver, but the amber LED doesn't turn on. So there's something that stopped working inside the receiver. Has this ever happened to any of you? Have you ever "lost" a satellite receiver?

-Dave
Old 10-03-2012, 05:23 AM
clp.eng

Dave - thanks for the prop correction! LOL I'm glad to hear the book is helping. I still want vids of you nose in flying backwards!!!! Angry birds HD ($2.99) is on my WishList only because it got some less than stellar reviews. So I may need to get the "standard" version ($0.99). If she ends up using the Kindle enough to make "sharing" difficult, I just might have to buy the Nexus!

Great news on the hex! I sold my AR8000 before I used it so can't say!

Chuck

Old 10-03-2012, 05:27 AM
phillyD

Sir Chuck
Keep on jamming.. no more 8x2 or 4x4 props. Dave's a riot. I Still envy Dave though an hangar to fly in Damn..no wind currents hhmmm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.