Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Old 10-31-2012, 10:50 AM
dknovick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Struggling with single rotor basics V2

ORIGINAL: dunkonu23

Dave... I need a quad.
You do. They are a ton of fun.

Chuck-
Sure, I could have gotten it out from under the truck (harder to push it out with the 2.4GHz antenna than with the older 72MHz one ), way more fun to be able to fly it out.
Enjoy your infusion of cash!

Ivan-
Soon enough your waiting will be over. Stop thinking 'bout it and go fly something in the mean time.
Nice pumpkin... I have to agree with Chuck on the caricature. I would hate having to case my alarm around.
mmmm... smokey whatever!

Weather here is beautiful, no snow, no rain... no humidity... A couple of weeks ago, the high humidity was 8% (That ain't right!)
Ok, so it's really, really dry and there are some fires...

Happy Heli-ween everone!

-Dave

Old 10-31-2012, 02:58 PM
phillyD

Gee Dave..Hell-ween ooops heli-ween LOL
Been meaning to share this guys postedon the Freak. Bill shouldlove this as a tree expert... Wonder where he is..hope he ain't got hit with a power outage.
Ok here goes let's see who cries first aaaawwwwhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffEYq...layer_embedded
Old 10-31-2012, 07:49 PM
9sec240

Awesome find Phil!!! Just loved it.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:24 AM
dunkonu23

ORIGINAL: phillyD

Yes Scotty Yes
A man after my own heart..."laying pipe"
LMAO!!! Truly!

Scott

Old 11-01-2012, 08:25 AM
dunkonu23

My pleasure... whoop... should be your pleasure, Ivan!

Enjoy what you can, when you can, I say!

Scott
Old 11-01-2012, 08:27 AM
dunkonu23

Dave,

The weather there sounds great! I hope you have blast!

I'm gonna ask for a quad for Christmas.

Scott

Old 11-01-2012, 09:06 AM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

Phil - nice one. Except when they were leaving did you see the size of that house & grounds? Sheesh.... I think Ivan's looks a little like that!

Scott - Hang in there!

Dave - LMAO! short pipe on that ant fer sure! I guess we all have our crosses to bear (bare?) wx wise! Since RCU doesn't have spell check I appreciate you fixing mine up! LOL I'm starting a list of potential purchases...

So would a 600 be better than a 550 heli? Any thoughts? I'm guessing just going from a 450 to a 550 will be a big jump.

I just rebuilt the mCP X (frame, tail ass'y) & a quick hover it feels like brand new! I'm guessing the new tail & longer tail blade have something to do w/ that. Too windy for outside but later a couple of packs in the front room.

Chuck
Old 11-01-2012, 04:50 PM
phillyD

Sure Scotty
Anything out of kilter..Ivan looks like that; Sry Ivan I could not resist..i'll pay, if you like, for that cowardly dig LMAO. You still sipposed to get your pumpkin head down here. Seems I'll get to you first.

Ok Started my secret build. My brain is smoking from thinking about set up....aggrrh a little insider info...a scale build
Old 11-02-2012, 04:21 AM
9sec240

Secret build Phil? Scale huh.... is this the robot woman you have always dreamed of???? LOL

I upgraded the motor, ESC and servo in my slash so I had the stock stuff laying around. Also had the original body, wheels and tires. With so many parts collecting dust, I decided to buy a roller and another TX / RX and put one together for Nica. Now we can bash together.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:01 AM
phillyD

Sweet Sir Ivan
yeeees!!!! the robot woman to scale. Only I don't know how to get her jacked up to get her swash over the fuselage.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:36 AM
9sec240

Rented a vibratory compactor and did the whole RC track yesterday. Headed back to do it one more time before returning it today.

Did everyone enjoy their extra hour of sleep? Phil, do they do daylight savings in the BVI?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:22 AM
dunkonu23

Ienjoyed the hell out of it, Ivan! Thanks! Ihope you enjoyed yours, too.

I had to re-read the sentence about the vibratory compactor a couple of times... Have fun with the cars, sir!

Scott
Old 11-04-2012, 02:24 PM
phillyD

No Daylight saving Illustrious Ivan... but the cable goes outta kilter...time for a show..you gotta calculate the time. One hour forward or backward.

Painting the hell outa the Robot woman
Old 11-06-2012, 05:21 AM
9sec240

Chuck, how is the job thing going? You should stop by the shop at 1pm and bring your Slash. The track is lots smoother and quite fast now.

I have not flown a thing in months. They opened the dome back up last weekend for flying. The first two night were free but I did not make it out there. It is kind of a drive for me now. I really need to get some stick time at some point. Maybe once the weather gets too cold to be outside with the trucks, I will bring the mCP X in to work.

Anyone think about getting the Nano CP X?
Old 11-06-2012, 04:30 PM
dunkonu23

No nano for me, Ivan.

Scott

Old 11-07-2012, 12:05 PM
phillyD

No Nano's for me Sir IvanAnything with a tail rotor motor makes me yeller.I can't go into depth now about the trials of my "scale robot lady", but as I was perparing to button her clothes down to continue installing other stuff,a servo controlling her waist began to malfunction. So I had to remove the servo' and as you guys know that entails removing her head so her swash can be checked for level travel etc. Well it is better than it giving out in flight or while I am using her hhhmmm
Old 11-07-2012, 06:34 PM
9sec240

LOL!! Love it Phil.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:13 PM
clp.eng

Ivan - the job is pretty much exactly what I was doing when I was there before EXCEPT I don't care any more! And it's only 3 days a week... No nano in my future but the swampy buggy is on it's way. Looking forward to trying your track one day soon!

I'll probably end up at the dome one of these weekends. I keep hoping for one more warm & not WINDY day before winter. I've flown the mCP X a couple of times inside but not not like outside...

Phil - what can I say! LOL
Old 11-09-2012, 05:00 AM
phillyD

Ok Guys
Coming along. Just ten more in- and- out to sand her bed before I tie her down to it..then I gotta fix her tail and cut her nose so her motor and everything can fit. Seems to me like laying pipe(a lot of work) HHmmm
Old 11-09-2012, 02:59 PM
clp.eng

Phil - sounds very interesting, all those technical terms! I can't wait to see her. You are going to share aren't you???!?!?!?!!!!!

Had an interesting day today.

Drove out to Ivan's track outside his work place & tore up the track w/ my Slash. He works with a nice bunch of very crazy drivers & dogs! That track was pretty challenging for me who's done nothing but bashing mostly in the street. Required more that full throttle driving.

Came home & noticed not much wind, so I did a couple of packs of nose in & figure 8's on the mCP X.

Looked out the window 20 minutes later & noticed there was NO WIND. Grabbed the UM T-28 & walked down to the school & put 4 packs through it. It felt good flying & landing, the lessons really gave me some confidence that I sorely needed! It got too dark to fly (I need some Philly Lights!).

Each vechicle was fun in a different way.

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57721.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1818920  
Old 11-09-2012, 05:45 PM
9sec240

Phil, your project sounds like too much fun. Isn't it always like a woman to make things difficult?? LOL

Chuck, had a blast today. Thanks for coming out. Glad you got to use your Slash like it is intended to be used. Maybe you can bring your neighbor out some time. Today was a light day for the track. Normally there are three or four more people running but Fridays a lot of guys go out for lunch instead of staying at the shop. BTW, Arne loved the GVR4 and it is already in with his collection of other models.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:47 PM
phillyD

Sir Ivan, Chucky, Scott and guys
It pains me to write this but I need you help convincing me/tell me what to do or to say it is ok in my thinking
I'm putting a fuselage on the hurricane 550. I'm not telling what kind it is but..

1 if I put it how it is supposed to go, I have to move the tail servo to the boom

2 If I do that it will come out as is stated by most people with fuselages... it will come out tail heavy. I don't want to add more weight(bigger battery or Lead) to the front. canopy weighs 1.3lbs

3 How I have it now it will come out balanced(generally) but I'll have to cut the nose of it for the motor to stick out the top. It has to be cut anyway as the gaui motor is at the top..no problem with that for me.

4 If I work this strategy, the flybar at full deflection(dunno if it actually goes there in flight) will hit the top of the fuselage at the furthest edge towards the back.

Can I cut off a piece of the fuselage at the top so the flybar can pass freely?I would need to remove about an inch. Would this be acceptable to you guys or is it not necessary as the flybar does not deflect that far in flight

Please tell me what to do or I'm gonna put everything in the dumpster

Chuck you can have all my lights if you help me solve my dilemma

EDIT At most I wanna do a loop with it

Old 11-10-2012, 06:31 AM
dunkonu23

Interesting dilemma, Phil.

I would say it really depends on just how badly you want to do a loop with it and the aggressiveness of that loop. You could go flybarless on your scale build, but from your post, it sounds like you don't want to do that. If you were going to do pure scale flying, I'd say not to worry about the flybar. It really doesn't deflect that much at all for scale applications. It's just that loop. In the end, you may have to either adjust how you want to fly it or trim the contact points.

Ihave never done a scale build before so I'm generally at a loss with regard to component placement and the other issues. I do think you should be able to use the tail servo on the frame, though. Is it the push rod causing the issue?

Scott
Old 11-10-2012, 05:22 PM
phillyD

Nice Work Scotty Sir.
Yea, the push rod was the dilemma. If you push it as far back in the fuselage where there is a recess for the swash anti-rotation guide, the push rod would hit the fuselage....also becoming too nose heavy that I would have to add weight to the tail.

I was toying with moving the servo to the boom, but then I would have to cut a window for the servo not to push the body of the heli out of line, also make it very nose heavy.

I found out an intresting piece of physics. Moving the body of the heli more towards the inside of the fuselage or towards the tail makes the heli
more nose heavy and moving the body out to the nose makes it more tail heavy.

When all was said and done I cut off the piece of the fuselage at the top. You'll see it soon. The window came in very handy. I may cover the hole.

I still gotta drilltwoholes in the fuselage in order to get access for ascrew driver to screw down the tabs at the back of the heli body.

24 hours to a preview guys.....did I hear a yaaay?
Old 11-10-2012, 05:46 PM
dunkonu23

Interesting, Phil! I was going to suggest possibly flipping the tail servo in its mount so the output was toward the center of the frame.. but... I don't remember the orientation of the tail servo in the stock frames. Then I was going to suggest possibly making a push rod out of the CF tubing (I'm going to be doing that for my Rush 750 as a test as soon as I get some room to workmy step daughter is getting married on the 17th, so the house is a jamble of wedding stuff).

At any rate, the CG issue is troubling and as Irecall any deviation in the stock Gaui setup raised the potential of issues greatly. I really should replace Ivan's frame because Igave him a custom battery mount that required modifying the frame for it to work. Idon't think he's flown it issue free since. (Ivan let me know and I'll get you new frames.)

Scott

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.