Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 346 of 376 FirstFirst ... 246296336344345346347348356 ... LastLast
Results 8,626 to 8,650 of 9385

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Struggling with single rotor basics V2

ORIGINAL: clp.eng
    WOW, Dave, you must have been a mighty good boy for Santa to get you sooooo much soooo far before Xmas! D@mn if I didn't get a coupon today & coulda' saved 10% !

I like the saucer canopy! LOL I think you'll like the DX 8. HobbyKing has a cheap LiPo Tx battery pack for it. I got it as charging the NiHm was a pain. It also seems to last forever!

I think the AMA might frown on that option in the heli vid! LOL

I can remember ''real'' o'scopes having less specs than that & we thought they were hi-tech... Oops, showing my age.

I was looking at FBL & stabilizations systems & I'm thinking I found me a nice little project to convert my ''new'' 450 to FBL. Some of the 3-axis systems are very intriguing (and expen$ive!).

Chuck
    Of course, I'm always goooood.
    Had to get the saucer canopy. I've been using the DX8 for the hexacopters, so I'm familiar with it (and like it). Thanks for the link to the Lipo battery (added it to my wish list), the NiMH is ok, but this will be much better.

AMA? What happens in the Virgin Islands...

I know what you mean about the o-scopes. Just got this one yesterday in the mail. 2 channel analog, 8 digital (w/ protocol sniffer), 1 analog out (w/ waveform generation) and there's an app for android tablets so I can display the output on the tablet.

I think my next heli will be FBL. I'll probably try an open source autopilot (you know me), something from OpenPilot, or the ArduPilot. Either one has way more sensors/features than the commercial heli FPL systems.

Glad your TX/RX are talking to each other.

Scott-
    OMG, that's all I'm sayin...

phD-
    You didn't paint it like T.C.'s chopper on Magnum PI?

just waiting for my packages to arrive...
    -Dave

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig12690.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	1825041  
    Helicopter: Closest fulfillment of the flying horse and magic carpet. Igor Sikorsky
    Royal EVO9 TX/F40,HBFP,Trex450Sport

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The new Tx showed up. The roller may be defective as it doesn't move on the 1st detent! It talked to the orange Rxs so that's good. However, I tried to calibrate the throttle on the mini buggy but the ESC would not go into program mode. It did run OK but very slowwwwww. I called HH & they didn't have anything useful to offer except to buy a new ESC. I may have to get a BL motor & ESC to fix this! LOL

Chuck
    It's always something...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice picture, Phil!  I see what you meant about the motor!  It kind of does stick up, but I think it adds to the allure of a very beautiful helicopter, my friend!  Great job! 

Dave... I went there.  

Chuck... thanks for letting us know I-man is alive and that his pipes are working!

Scott
    ALeeS RC Flight Team Manager, Rush 700, Spartan Vortex VX1 Inside
    Team A Main Hobbies/ProTek Field Rep

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes Sir Chuck
    I hope it flys well for me too. I gotta find how much weight it takes to get the CoG right and maybe find a battery with the right weight and dimensions.

Shucks Dave
    I you had said that a little bit earlier I might have done it.

The the motor sticking updon't look that outlandish. These pipe fitter guys using PVC now-a days; I prefer the galvanised pipes. When Ivan logs on the will get a fit at was has been happening here
    Belt CP Day and Night helis, DX6i, 401 gyro, 9257, HS65MG cyc, 30A, CNC 7075 tail/head,Gaui 550 in hughes fuselage quark gyro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, the winds were down a bit today & the temp wasn't too bad. Put 3 packs in the micro T-28 . It got a bit pushed around near the end.

I brought 2 helis with as well. Took out the 300, fired it up & off she went. It was getting a little tossed around but I thought "not too bad". Got it up high to do some piros which went well. After the 2nd one the wind got a hold of it & wouldn't let go. Started pushing it up & away from me. I fought it back until I was sure it was coming back towards me but the wind kept pushing it sideways. Then I lost orientation & I thought it was nose in coming right at me. Then it went into the sun, I ducked, hit TH & Norm & heard the sickening SPLATT behind me! LOL

The canopy shattered, the covering on the blades is missing at the end, the main gear is missing a "few" teeth. I guessing the main & feathering shaft too. I'll take it apart later to see what else I can find.

I did NOT try to fly the 450!

I measured the gusts hitting 8 MPH on the ground & I'm guessing it was higher above the trees!

Phil - the motor looks fine, kinda' hi tech!
    Chuck
    It's always something...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So to make myself feel better, I hooked up & fired up the airboat electrics. The motor doesn't work. It just sits there vibrating or maybe slowly & jerkily moving around. I threw an old heli motor on the ESC & it works just fine. I'll see how HK USA service is though I'm not expecting much so I ordered a replacement motor myself. Sigh...

Chuck
    It's always something...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys.. I am still around. Just stupid busy and had not had a chance to check in. Hope everyone is doing well.
    Ivan
    There is a very fine line between β€œhobby” and β€œmental illness.”

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh Sir Chuckyfeller
    I ain't heard bout a crash for a while...I'm sorry. That busted my bubble. Leave the heli motor in Chuck, it is already an airboat.
    Belt CP Day and Night helis, DX6i, 401 gyro, 9257, HS65MG cyc, 30A, CNC 7075 tail/head,Gaui 550 in hughes fuselage quark gyro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I need to find somebody to help with the flying just like I did with the airplanes! I'm very frustrated as every time I leave my comfort zone I crash!

Oops, the airboat motor is OK it is a bad connector. The compression fingers weren't making contact with the barrel of the connector. The only thing I can think of was that some rosin from the solder got in between but how it could completely render the connector useless is beyond me. A new connector & the motor spins. Oh well, I guess I'll have a spare....

Chuck
    It's always something...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chuck-
    Sorry to hear about your woes. 8mph is a pretty good wind to toss things around.
    You have a sim, right (Phoenix...)? That's what I've been using to push my comfort zone. I need to get back on the sticks.
    Glad your airboat problem was only a bad connector.

Scott-
    Of course you also went there!

phD-
    Well, if you didn't keep it a secret for so long, I would have suggested the paint scheme earlier. Next time!
    Like the others say, the motor sticking up looks fine to me as well.

Ivan-
    New houses tend to keep one busy. Old houses tend to keep one every busier.

Spent the weekend adding lights to the hexes, red in front (#1 boom), and blue on #3 and #5 boom. They should flash when I hit a low voltage. Also added a transceiver to send telementary data back down to my lappy. Maybe I'll get a chance to take it up sometime this week. Next weekend, I'll try to add in the 2axis gimbal for the camera.
    Packages should arrive from HeliDirect and ReadyHeli tomorrow!

-Dave
    Helicopter: Closest fulfillment of the flying horse and magic carpet. Igor Sikorsky

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LOL Dave LOLSecrets are bad...you were hiding in the same brush they were gonna dump the radioactive waste on. Nobody knew we were there LMAO. Now I gotta do the balance bit. on the heli. I gotta do a bigger battery instead of useless lead and for same flightime as reminded by the Mutinous Ivan.Nice on the busier of houses bit LOL
    I love helidirect

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bad azz fish again, Phil! Balance that heli!

Dave - I just can't seem to get anything out of the sim (yes Phoenix) part of the problem as I found out during my flight lessons this summer I got the basics just don't know how to progress. So I need some help understanding what to do next & then I can practice on the sim.

Sure enough the roller on the new DX3C is bad & I have to send it back. Sigh.... Good thing I didn't change everything over yet.

Started thread locking the screws on the airboat. Of course now I have no Tx for a couple of weeks...

I was looking at the KDS Innova 550 FBL heli. A bit pricey & I wish they had a 450 size but xmas IS coming... I can just imagine the damage I can do to that thing hitting the gnd! LOL

Chuck
    It's always something...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The new Tx (DX3C) went back for repairs! The BL setup for the little truck showed up today. The Blade 300 finally got moved to the workshop for repairs. I flew the new SAB 700 heli on Phoenix. It flew really well.

Chuck
    It's always something...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: phillyD

LOL Dave LOLSecrets are bad...you were hiding in the same brush they were gonna dump the radioactive waste on. Nobody knew we were there LMAO.
    I love helidirect
    Well, I do work where they make Nuke bomb parts...So that all makes sense.
    If you can manage it, trading lead for LiPo is the way to go.
    So what would that be?
    electrical weight, chemical weight, electron weight...
    vs dead weight

ReadyHeli does put mints in with the shipment... Just saying...

Chuck-
    Sucks about the TX. Hopefully it'll be fixed and back in your hands in no time.

Have the hovering basics down? My current take-away from the Heli flight training book so to use small bumps. That way, if you bump in the wrong direction it doesn't take much to get it going on the right direction.
    In the chapter on the sim, he talks about basic hovering maneuvering (side-to-side, and forward-to backward) with different orientations. From there, rotating 45Β° when moving side-to-side. Say, rotate right 45Β° while moving right (which is now a little right and a little up with the stick). When you get to the right boundary, rotate 90Β° to the left and move left. When your comfortable moving from side to side, use the rudder to point the nose more into the direction of flight and to turn around.

From there it's nose-in hovers and 360 degree piros (slow piro while using the aileron and elevator to keep the heli over a spot).

And then a procedure turn, banking into the turn and coordinating the use of rudder to carve around the turn.

These are all the things I'm working on right now.
    I did get the DX8 and the Blade mQX (w/ UFO canopy). Looking forward to messing around with 'em over the weekend. Also have a little bit of wiring on the Hexacopter, and I should be trying out some way-points this weekend as well.

-Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave - that was pretty much what I was trying to do - hover in all orientations (90Β°) & then move around in each. Didn't think about 45Β° though, that would be interesting (TUFF!). It gets boring practicing those. Others have told me to get into forward flight ASAP to progress.

Right now I'm too discouraged to even think about helis. I've thrown myself into my trucks for the moment - LiPo & BL for the mini Dessert Buggy, waiting on a selection of pinions to try her out (with the stock radio until the other one comes back)!

Interesting story - I emailed HH the symptoms of the Tx & waited five days w/o a response so I called. The guy got one & told me his worked OK & not like mine so I should send it back. I do. I get home from the PO & find an email from HH telling me his works just like mine so mine is OK! I'm guessing the 2nd guy has a bad one too! They need to talk to the design team! LOL

The layout of the airboat is proving to be problematic - too much stuff & not enough room. I think I'll have to add some extensions to the ESC to reach the motor, too. I'm thinking I might mount the ESC on the inside of the raised platform & cut a hole in the side to allow the heatsink to stick out & seal w/ silicone.

Chuck
    It's always something...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ahh Chucky Sir
    Just do what you can and enjoy the heli flying. Leave the heavy stuff to the guys who wanna buy parts and have sponsors for parts. I have a heli pal here who just puts up his heli and drools LOL

I also have another pal(young) who wants to progress quickly crashes often, can't afford a lot of parts, can't fix..he hurries and fix and the last report i got, his heli flew up into the air and pitched into the ground.

I hope my new hughes don't fly up into the air and pitch into the ground.
    Cheerio mein Herr

Dave - that was pretty much what I was trying to do - hover in all orientations (90&deg & then move around in each. Didn't think about 45° though, that would be interesting (TUFF!). It gets boring practicing those. Others have told me to get into forward flight ASAP to progress.

Right now I'm too discouraged to even think about helis. I've thrown myself into my trucks for the moment - LiPo & BL for the mini Dessert Buggy, waiting on a selection of pinions to try her out (with the stock radio until the other one comes back)!

Interesting story - I emailed HH the symptoms of the Tx & waited five days w/o a response so I called. The guy got one & told me his worked OK & not like mine so I should send it back. I do. I get home from the PO & find an email from HH telling me his works just like mine so mine is OK! I'm guessing the 2nd guy has a bad one too! They need to talk to the design team! LOL

The layout of the airboat is proving to be problematic - too much stuff & not enough room. I think I'll have to add some extensions to the ESC to reach the motor, too. I'm thinking I might mount the ESC on the inside of the raised platform & cut a hole in the side to allow the heatsink to stick out & seal w/ silicone.

Chuck

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That didn't last too long! I tore apart the Blade 300X this morning, figuring I'd get it fixed & bring it to work & hover in the warehouse. Damages:

Main gear - about 20 teeth gone down to the body!
    Feathering shaft - about 20Β° bend - I've never seen one this bent!
    Main gear hub - elongated screw hole!
    Mail tail gear - cracked nut holder
    Screw holding the head onto the shaft - bent & damaged threads
    Main blade - one missing about 1.5" of covering. Other than that they looked fine

So that was 2 parts I've never damaged before & don't have & wouldn't you know it I just sent an order in on Friday. Sigh...

Phil - the trouble is I set myself some goals & I'm loathe to admit defeat (yet), especially they weren't that lofty. LOL Guten Tag, mein Freund

Chuck
    It's always something...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry about the damage, Chuck! Itoo, dislike it intensely when I find things broken I didn't break before.

Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh dear me my
    You guys are gonna kill me now.... one is loathe for notbeingthatloftyand the other has an intense dislike....Ok Me too LMFAO

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We're gonna kill you, Phil? Dude! Please! You kill me! LMAO!!!

Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Phil - my parents sent me to expensive private schools so I gotta' du sumpin wit it, don i????

Chuck
    It's always something...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks a lot Chuckenstein
    Just shovel the dirt now, I'm lying down waiting for it; I'm dead. Anyway enough with the fun and jokes what is a school.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave - that was pretty much what I was trying to do - hover in all orientations (90Β°) & then move around in each. Didn't think about 45Β° though, that would be interesting (TUFF!). It gets boring practicing those. Others have told me to get into forward flight ASAP to progress.

Chuck
    Mix it up, keep it interesting and keep it fun. No worries, just fly. When you get bored with those I've have more...
    I've had a similar experience with HH. Email response was really slow, a phone call did the trick. At least for me, both answered where similar.
    Maybe you can get Ivan to lay some pipe for your airboat.
    Sucks about finding other damage that you didn't include in your order.

phD-
    Like they say for learning to fly a real helicopter, you either have to be rich, or join the military. At least for RC, you don't have to join the military...
    I have one wish for your Huges (and for all of us as well), May you landings=your take offs.

Flew the hex the other day in 6-7mph sustained w/ 12-14mph gusts. The strongest winds, so far, that I've flow in. It was rock steady. I need to get back on my on heli, or this thing is going to jade me. The hex has a switch for altitude hold. I get it into a hover and flick the switch and it will sit at that altitude (I can then adjust the height with the throttle). It also has a switch for position hold. Turn it on and it just sits in that point in space (which I can then jog around with the elevator/aileron sticks). Also ran it through 20 way-points, and eventually tried to find it's top end. I was able to get it up to 40mph (but I was holding back a little). The coolest feature it has, which I hope will eventually trickle down to the RC controllers, is Come Home. On start-up, it remembers it's GPS point, and with the flick of a switch, where ever it is, it will bee-line back to it's starting point. Most importantly, it will do this if it doesn't see the TX signal. No more fly-aways!

-Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nicely done Dave
    When it flies you know there will be a vid. I got my nano-tech3300 battery today to help the balance issue.

I want a hex so i can put it up, sit down and have a snack,watch it fly and come home.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave,

Does it have a ceiling and hard deck?   I think those are going to be things coming very soon to FBL controllers for helicopters.

Scott