Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 06:00 PM
phillyD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come in Mr Chuckenstein
Old 10-03-2014, 05:39 AM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

I played around with the programming on the new heli as it was quite spry unlike me! I also did the changes on the old mCPX. The new one is still spry but manageable. I had it out front yesterday in gusts up to 8 MPH & it handled itself pretty well & so did I! LOL No flip attempts just yet.

I finally got the "real" chargers unpacked & next will be taking the 450's for a spin. The planks are still in pieces in a box & will wait awhile. The surface vehicles are packed away in the furnace room for now. Actually, no furnace but a heat pump which I need to research to see how they work.

I went to the On Top Of The World website & found no mention that I have to be a resident to join the club, so I tried. Alas, they wouldn't let me any way! They are having a Fun Fly-In next week so I'll stop by to see what that's all about. They have ZERO members flying helis! I might bring one just to try to annoy them!

The guy I met here has about 10 helis, mostly coaxial & a couple of FP. I've flown them all, except the CX2 which sits on the floor spinning in circles & tried to trim them out for him. He has one CP which I haven't "met" yet.

Having a lot of free time is turning out to be a GOOD thing.

Chuck
Old 10-04-2014, 08:33 PM
phillyD

Wow Sir Chuck
This is the second embarrassment I got in 24 hours..you getting out yo fly and a girl friend told me I need a hobby. Is crazy what excuse they gave you as to not letting you join. Yes you know that Heli fliers does that to plankers. I don't know how we don't annoy ourselves. Maybe in celebration of talking to you I'll go try and fly the stick plane I set up. We getting a 10 to 15 mph wind regularly and it may be too light to handle it. Goodyyou are getting to fly some other people's stuff. Cheerio great Sir
Old 10-05-2014, 12:54 PM
clp.eng

Cap't Philly - time to stop & smell the roses! Just watch out for the thorns! Stick planes in 15 MPH better have a 10 ft wing span!

To be fair, OTOW is a gated community & their fees pay for the field so while I think it's stupid, they may have a point! LOL

It's been pretty windy here as well. Today I thought maybe it died down enough to give the um T-28 a spin. I got one pack in & gave up in the 2nd as the wind kept pushing it farther & farther away!

Rather than risk a heli I pulled out the Slash & tore up the empty lot next to me until something stripped out & the wheels quit spinning!

Forgot I got relatives coming next week end, so probably no fun fly for me. I did find a couple of clubs around here that have fields & one even said yes when I asked if they have both plank & heli instructors. I'll have to go check them out. I also found a flying school not too far from here & for a mere 1200 dollhairs I can take the 20 hr advanced heli course! Probably not gonna' happen...

Chuck
Old 10-07-2014, 11:45 AM
phillyD

Strewth Sir Chuck You having a dang old time. Ok you got something to fix. When you do the post mortem tell me what went out on the slash, so I can file the info away. Roight the mere 1200 dollars should be spelt a mare $1200, because that is the size of that amount of money LMAO. i'll make a damnest effort to test fly the stick Saturday, as i don't want to interrupt my Sunday Laps in the ocean. I am trying to hide from old age LMAO again. I gotta hit the sim to see if I can still fly. Keep those visiting relatives on their toes.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:13 AM
clp.eng

I had responded with a long & very clever response & then forgot to hit Post Reply. Sigh... So much for me hiding from old age!

The new mCPX BL decided it needed some human flesh & blood & hit my arm 5 times before it went down!

As soon as I get a work bench set up I'll fix the Slash & let you know.

The guy I've been flying with on Tuesday bought a Walkera CP scale heli (4F200LM), tried to fly it twice & crashed it twice. He said it was too frustrating & gave it to me. I accepted it only on the condition that after I get it flying, he lets me help him get to the point he can fly it himself. I have no idea how to do that but .... I have the new skids on order & I'll start reading the books. I read about the Tx (DEv07) on line & they say it's difficult to program. I'll see.

Do you swim from one island to the next and back every Sunday???

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4815.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	875.9 KB
ID:	2038522  
Old 10-09-2014, 10:50 AM
phillyD

Ok Snap the heli gremlins. I am sorry bout the arm Sire. Yes I concur with your new pal. Heli flying is for mad people. It is like having a crash. You don't wanna fly(timid) I think about all the things that can go wrong and it makes me don't wanna fly. I have n't flow for so long..trepidation. Here is to wishing you get better quickly. Oh didn't your wife say"leave those damn helis alone"? You can say that about the swimming because a few of the islands are very close. The distance I do down takes about 20 minutes going and about 25 minutes return against the slight current.. I already charged the battery for the stick plane, and will discharge it tonight and recharge to get it out of storage charge. I may just do a 450 heli too. just put it up hover and drool. Will try and hit the sim for 15 minutes tonight.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:57 AM
clp.eng

My 450 packs have been sitting on my dresser for almost 2 weeks now waiting for the cahonies to show up....

Chuck
Old 10-13-2014, 02:34 AM
phillyD

Charged batteries for stick plank and 450 heli,... Then there was chikungunya for me
Old 10-16-2014, 09:48 AM
clp.eng

Philly! Are you OK???? D@mn bugs!Found a snake in the house this morning & that was pretty scary!Got the new mCPX BL flying. Though I miss Ivan terribly, it's forcing me to figure stuff out on my own. Flies pretty good. No more wounds any way.The Traxxas Slash 4x4 suffered a center diff plastic gear failure! Not sure why which worries me as the drive gear is tight. Maybe got sand in there! 2 new ones on order!Chuck
Old 10-17-2014, 11:45 AM
clp.eng

Boy, I could sure could use Ivan now. This heli has never flown only crashed twice! I THINK I did everything I'm supposed to do. I checked all the servo motions & the FBL controller response & they seemed normal but when I spooled it up on the floor & it acted strange. Forward stick made it slide backwards! I think, I panicked & shut it down & put it away for today! LOL

Chuck

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4867.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2040752  
Old 10-21-2014, 03:45 PM
phillyD

Sheeves Sir Chuck I replied 35 hours ago . and it has disappeard. I was happy for the trax postmortem. I never got into the flybarless stuff. Oh I was verifing which state you were in now. I also asked about your heli student.
Edit what type of snake it was. You might remember Guyana is snake country lol
Old 10-22-2014, 08:31 AM
clp.eng

Ya' sure you did, Philly! LOL

The Slash went out for another ride & after about 3 minutes stopped running again! Post mortem showed the gear completely FLAT! I put on my last spare drove it for 2 minutes w/ everything open. I touched the metal drive gear & burned my finger! YIKES! No idea what's going on...

FBL is the only way to go! Less to repair when things go bad & I think it's more stable than my FB ones!

I got tired of being scared so I took the Walkera out in front, let it temp stabilize, & then hit the throttle. And up she went as nice as you'd please (Thanks again for the good training, Ivan!) I got it in a hover just above the grass & switched into Stunt 1 & it slammed itself into the ground! No damage. Wow, obviously something going on with the curves at least I think so! Now I could really use Ivan! I'm going to compare the Walkera programming to some of my good fliers & see what the differences are.

My students (I got another one!) are at different levels. The original can fly the coax around pretty good including circles in front of himself (I can't do that!). I just got to get him to try to take off straight off the ground w/ the coax & he'll be ready to try the CP. The other guy said he used to fly a couple of years ago but it doesn't look like it! He just bought a Blade (very small) coax & is doing better.

No idea what snake it was as I was so intent on helping him back out the door I wasn't really noticing much. No rattle sounds so I guess that was good! lol

Chuck
Old 10-22-2014, 04:46 PM
phillyD

Geez Bro you got it all going on. You might open a school soon. At your age you should not be checking curves..oh throttle curves lmao. Oh I missed this in the re write..which state you in now
Old 10-22-2014, 05:58 PM
clp.eng

Interesting! I updated my profile but it's still showing Lombard!

I'm in Florida about mid state (Ocala - horse country)

I took the T-28 out for a spin in the empty lot next door & I think I offended one of my few neighbors! Stopped the car & said something about he that flying wasn't allowed. Yikes I may be in trouble & I'm only here 8 weeks!

Chuck
Old 10-23-2014, 12:09 PM
phillyD

I was hoping in the Carolinas. Seems i gotta plan for Florida. I got another friend in Florida. You make me wanna go check the Laws in Florida. People like to run their mouth(caribbean pirate Language) Maybe you should get a horse shaped kite
Old 10-23-2014, 12:24 PM
clp.eng

Well, Philly, we are in a gated age restricted community (lotsa' old crabby people) which means you pretty much can't sneeze without permission around here. It kills me to watch all the planes across the pasture at On Top Of The World which has an RC flying field but you gotta' be a resident to fly there! Sigh...

We looked at the Carolinas but most of the stuff was on the coast - pricey & hurricane prone, neither feature on my want list! LOL

Chuck
Old 10-24-2014, 08:27 AM
phillyD

Shucks Bro. That is real crazy. I can understand why folks run away to the caribbean. You just telling me the situation makes me feel like my nuts are in a clamp...all the fun out of living; no matter, my problem is not having space to fly LMAO
Old 11-04-2014, 06:48 PM
clp.eng

Philly,

Here's where I've been flying, talk about not much space!!!

http://youtu.be/2ADeDs0dxCg

Chuck
Old 11-10-2014, 07:15 PM
dknovick

Originally Posted by clp.eng
Just a quick update:
Turns out of all the people he knows who fly I am by far the most experienced. Heaven help them! He asked me to help.
Sounds like you're doing just fine! Hope you're enjoying FL, the wife and I do miss it.

phD-
We both need to get back out and fly, it's been way too long for me.

Scott-
There was a nice writeup on ICHRA in Heli Pilot, what was your take?

Gaaaa!!! Did not mean to be this long between posts! Between RoboSub, the end of the fiscal year at work, and then heading out to Singapore (yes, Singapore! It was awesome!) to help with the Maritime RobotX challenge last month, I've had very little time to do anything else at home. I do get to fly a little at work, and I'm _trying_ to turn that into my full time job.

Maybe this December, I can put together the tricopter I bought last December.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:21 PM
phillyD

Sheeves Brotherins Everything is in chaos but alive. Sorry Chucky. All the days seems rolled into one; and now the cold season is here, my afternoons and nights are spent running betwen 3 ports of entry doin clearance.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:25 PM
clp.eng

Dave, WHO??? LOL Hey since every day is Saturday, I have some spare time, I'll put it together for you! Liking it just fine esp since it's snowing in Lombard today but 72° F here!

Philly, my friend, you need to stop & smell the roses once in awhile! Easy for me to say, ehhh???? How cold can it actually get there???

Sorry you guys aren't having time to kick back & fly. Your time will come soon enough.

I am now a proud member of the Marion County Cloud Climbers. I even have the magic code to unlock the gate (though I walked around it the other day when nobody was there!). I went out this morning & flew 5 packs through my micro T-28 (only plane unpacked at the moment). Not a speck of wind. Sorry I didn't bring a heli w/ me. There are two heli pilots in the club. I talked to one & he seemed interested in giving me some pointers to help me get past my stuck state! More to come.

Chuck
Old 11-13-2014, 04:26 PM
clp.eng

I just noticed they still have me in Lombard. I'll go & try to change it again...
Old 11-16-2014, 09:06 AM
dknovick

Originally Posted by clp.eng
Dave, WHO??? LOL Hey since every day is Saturday, I have some spare time, I'll put it together for you! Liking it just fine esp since it's snowing in Lombard today but 72° F here!
Yeah, yeah, I know...
But putting it together is half the fun. But I'll keep it in mind.
I was going to ask how you're enjoying your non-winter winter.
When you left, did you, by habit, pack your snown shovel?

Congrats on becoming a member of the Cloud Climbers. We expect lots of pics/vids!

Originally Posted by phillyD
Sheeves Brotherins Everything is in chaos but alive. Sorry Chucky. All the days seems rolled into one; and now the cold season is here, my afternoons and nights are spent running betwen 3 ports of entry doin clearance.
That's why you need a telepresence multirotor. Fly around to each port, check stuff out with the onboard camera, and then give them the thumbs up/down. Two birds (working/flying), one stone! It's a win-win. Probably save them money as well, so win-win-win!

In case you ever wanted to make a crazy paper airplane, and then have it actually fly:
Fly a armadillo paper airplane

-Dave
Old 11-16-2014, 03:50 PM
clp.eng

Hi dave! For me it's all the fun! I love building things. Not so much repairing them... LOL The sun is shining, it's in the 70's & nice stiff breeze blowing, clean air, what more could I ask! I went flying last Thursday but the only plane I have unpacked is my micro T-28. There was ZERO wind & I flew 5 packs. There were a coupld of other guys there but only 1 flew one time. They mostly socialized.

My garage gets it's new floor covering this week & then I can build my new workshop (well at least put up the bench & hang the tools!), so I can start repairing helis & put the planks together.

The 1st thing I did when the For Sale sign went up on the front yard, I got out a saw & cut up my snow shovel & recycled the d@mn thing!

PhillyD - what he said!

Chuck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.