Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 03:27 PM
dknovick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clp.eng
Hi dave! For me it's all the fun! I love building things. Not so much repairing them...

The 1st thing I did when the For Sale sign went up on the front yard, I got out a saw & cut up my snow shovel & recycled the d@mn thing!
Just think of repairing as building it all over again ('cause sometimes that's what you gotta do).

LOL, I'm surprised you didn't burn it (just another form of recycling).

My HDD has been having some "issues" over the past 1/2 year, so instead of waiting for it to die, I'm taking this weekend to replace it (with a SSD for OS and programs, and 2T HDD for my data). Muuuuuch faster. Now all I have to do is reinstall everything and copy over my old stuff.

-Dave

Last edited by dknovick; 11-22-2014 at 03:39 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 11-22-2014, 04:06 PM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

Dave,

Some how psychologically it's not the same! If I burned it that would pollute causing more green house gasses & more snow. So I was nice to my neighbors! LOL

Can you mirror the old one on to the new one & then just make it the default? No I really don't know what I'm talking about...

I bought an USB drive to back up my harddrive & It's 1T & I paid like $125 for it pretty much what I used to pay for a 3.5" floppy drive!

Chuck
Old 11-28-2014, 06:15 PM
dknovick

Dave,

Some how psychologically it's not the same! If I burned it that would pollute causing more green house gasses & more snow. So I was nice to my neighbors! LOL
Then you're still looking at it the wrong way!
Very neighborly of you to not create more snow.

If the drives were the same, I could mirror them (and as long as all the information on the old fits on the new). But I hate to do that. I'd rather start fresh and install everything that I want, then just mirror the old drive and copy over all sorts of garbage.

Sometimes technology is a wonderful thing.

How everyone is enjoying the black Friday deals.

-Dave
Old 11-28-2014, 07:54 PM
clp.eng

Ya' I guess so, Dave! I certainly would not want to cause any snow with the new neighbors! LOL I HATE reloading everything! I can never seem to get them to work the same the 2nd time!

My Freewing 55" Pandora convertible (high to low wing) plank is coming @ a 15% savings!

One of the micro guys bought the new Blade 200 SR X FP. I set it up for him & did a maiden. Flies really nice. A vid I saw showed the pilot doing a flip with it. Amazing...

Chuck
Old 12-03-2014, 06:08 PM
dknovick

Ya' I guess so, Dave! I certainly would not want to cause any snow with the new neighbors! LOL I HATE reloading everything! I can never seem to get them to work the same the 2nd time!
Very neighborly of you.
Getting things back just the way you like it can be a concern. Speaking of which, I was wondering how installing Phoenix 2.5 and trying to update would go. Turns out, they have a "patch" to get you to 5.0. It's almost a 1Gig file (and took about 45 min to download), but it did work.

Enjoy the convertible!

I have a friend at work who bought a DX9 (it talks to you!), a plank, helicopter and quad. He's covering all the bases.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:13 PM
dknovick

And here's the 2014 Tumbleweed snowman
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tumbleweed_snowman_2014.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	557.2 KB
ID:	2053048  
Old 12-07-2014, 08:11 PM
clp.eng

Sweeeeet!

Here's FL's version of xmas

Been flying twice a week at the gym both the mCPX & BL version. Getting nose in pretty well. Been pretty busy & haven't built the convertible yet - between the mold removal guy & the solar panel dudes!

Chuck

Name:	IMG_5072.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	2053096   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5076.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	2053097   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5150.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2053098  
Old 12-08-2014, 05:03 PM
dknovick

Sweeeeet!

Here's FL's version of xmas
Chuck
Yep, that's pretty much how I remember it, x-mas lights on palm trees. The one thing we don't miss is the mold.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:35 PM
clp.eng

Here's the 80% built plank. There's a bad nut embedded in the plastic wing support that holds the wing on so I'm waiting to hear what the vendor says. I'm using a Rx w/ a 3 axis gyro in it to see if that helps me not crash so often .

Finally got the spares for the 450 FBL w/ TT & they fit! Haven't given it a test flight yet.

Chuck

Name:	IMG_5231.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	2053261  
Old 12-11-2014, 07:51 PM
phillyD

Thanks guys for not giving up on me. Got the roses sir chuck, can't get to smell them yet lmao. Poor snow shovel. Sir Dave good thy to see you are getting some time to post.
I'll try and be back to post something on rc although today I was involved in a minor accident. Nothing wrong with my vehicle.
I'll be back
Old 12-28-2014, 06:01 PM
phillyD

Seasons greetings Lads. Gosh you guys must be swamped too.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:29 AM
dknovick

Originally Posted by phillyD
Thanks guys for not giving up on me.
I'll try and be back to post something on rc although today I was involved in a minor accident. Nothing wrong with my vehicle.
I'll be back
Never! Oh no, what happened?

Chuck-
Nice looking plank, good luck with the bad nut (that sounds like a description for all of us!)

Hope the golly flying elf <insert appropriate seasonal delivery system> brought you all something RC this season. I've been using the Graupner Polaron EX charger at work. It's a doozie! Dual charger w/ a touch screen. There was a one day sale online, so I picked one up for the house. I have some foamy planks and a tri copter kit that I purchased last year, which I will hopefully get to this break.

*Finally* bought a Blu ray player, so I've been enjoying that. It's kinda cool and spooky all in one. I can turn on the player, and it will turn on the TV and change the input all by itself (similar to what the ChromeCast does).

I was missing the later Harry Potters (in my DVD collection), so I picked those up during the black Friday weekend (of course, that was before the purchase of the Blu ray, so these are all in standard DVD format). So we watched the two Hobbits, to get ready for the third (which we saw in IMAX 3D), and now we're watching the Harry Potters back-to-back-to-back-to-back.....You pick up a few things when you watch 'em like this.

Happy flying in the New Year!

-Dave

Name:	chargeur-graupner-polaron-ex.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	2058926  
Old 12-30-2014, 07:55 PM
clp.eng

Philly, banish the thought that we would EVER give up on the skipper of the bus! Hope you are OK???

Dave, I've seen those chargers & they look pretty cool. I'm still using the 25 buck ones I bought years ago - if it ain't broke...

I just bought an LG 60" plasma & waiting for my $50 rebate to buy a Blu-Ray player for it. It is quite incredible even watching standard DVDs on it, especially the 1st two Hobbit movies. I've seen it twice now once in 2D opening day & yesterday in REAL 3D. I chocked on the price for the IMAX version! LOL

The RC group here is growing & even a couple of them are interested in helis! I got to try a sailboat which was very interesting & I believe will be challenging to master. Which I will try w/ my new sailboat! I just have to add the electrics & figure out how to hook up the mechanics to the servos. I can't wait.

The mCPX BL took a pounding tonight on it's 1st flight after missing 2 weeks. Oh, how soon the brain calcifies!

chuck
Old 01-04-2015, 09:54 AM
dknovick

Chuck-
I hear ya about "if it ain't broke!", but it was a good deal, hard to pass up. AND I was looking for a dual charger (for all the charging that I'm not doing right now).

Nice TV. Monoprice is the place to go for really good and really cheap cables. They even have 18Gbps Ultra slim RedMere cables (if you want to future proof your cables). I've replace all my bulky HDMI cable (that won't bend) with these. These are powered cables, but the use the power available at the HDMI port, so no fuss, no muss. They are directional, so you have to make sure you plug each end into the correct place (source & TV), but the cables are marked.

Congrats on the growing RC community. Controlling an RC sailing boat sound challenging. Now, instead of crashing, you'll have to worry about sinking.

You'll get your thumbs back into shape in no time.

We had a light dusting of snow on boxing day, and then again on the 3rd. Everything is gone now except for what's in the shade. Chuck, remember where you are now, "snow" has a different meaning...

-Dave
Old 01-04-2015, 04:50 PM
clp.eng

I finally got this stupid site to load the pic of my sailboat. I just found out I'm the 4th owner!

Dave - thanks for the cable tip. That "broke" comment was for me! LOL It is kinda' exciting finding people who are interested & then giving them the leg up they need to get into this crazy hobby!

I took the FBL out for a spin is some stiff wind the other day & managed to keep it in the air for 2 packs w/o damage! I also took it to the gym to show the boys & were they impressed! The biggest one they've seen so far is a 200 size heli. I spooled it up & even hovered it for a couple of minutes - the noise impressed the h3ll outta' them.

Snow, what's that (either type!?)? I was at St. Pete's a couple of weeks ago visiting wifey's friends & we went to a park where they had imported several thousand pounds of snow & were letting kids sled down the hill! Funny watching kids in shorts on saucer sleds

Get flying you guys or I'll have to come over there & kick some butt!

Chuck!

Name:	IMG_5369.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	2060750  
Old 01-14-2015, 06:07 AM
dknovick

I finally got this stupid site to load the pic of my sailboat. I just found out I'm the 4th owner!

Get flying you guys or I'll have to come over there & kick some butt!

Chuck!
Nice, and the 4th owner. So the other 3 didn't sink it?
I'm guessing the electronics under the deck? How many servos? How does it all work? What can you control? How good are you a tacking?

LOL on broke!

I can see where even the sound of a bigger heli would be impressive, when you only used to 200 sized beasts.

FL is crazy like that.

I am doing a little flying for work. I've almost finished the octocopter. I'm switching over to a Graupner 12 channel radio, and I'm learning how to use it.

I do have kits of foamy planks and the tricopter that I really need to finish (after I invent a time machine, that'll help a lot!).
And now I really want to get a 250 sized quad and do some FPV racing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsxyV-kgfio I just don't have the trees like they do in the video.

-Dave
Old 01-15-2015, 11:53 AM
phillyD

I'm keeping a Nelson eye on you guys. best wishes for the New year allthough it has gone a ways.
Sir Chucky Does it have powered rudder? You gotta be praying for fair winds or you are and expert sailor.

Last edited by phillyD; 01-15-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:41 PM
clp.eng

Arghh, me mateys!!!

It's in pristine condx so I'm wondering how much use the previous owners gave it!

There are 2 servos mounted on plywood below deck, one humongous one for the sails (on throttle chan) & a large one for the rudder (on the Aile chan). The rudder has a 4-40 threaded push rod on it to a coupler on the rudder shaft & from what I've been able to figure out, at bottom throttle the sails are at midship (how's that for sea going jargon???) & then the servo moves a large arm w/ each sail line running through either end of it which loosens the lines & whatever way the wind happens to be blowing, the sails move in that direction. I'm not sure about all that yet as I'm waiting to hear back from the guy who built the boat!

I just completed an on line sail boating class w/ an 82% final score (I didn't pay much attention to the actual commands given by the helmsman to move the stuff around, hence the low grade!).

I have to figure out how to attach the metal sail rigging arm to the servo. What ever was on there before was way bigger than the servo wheel that came w/ the servo. Or how to adapt it to the wheel? Or ...

That vid was insane!! Thanks. I've been looking at FPV very seriously but still have 2 questions: 1. What platform would I start it on & 2. Do I really want to $pend that kinda' money when in 6 months everything will be cheaper/better/completely different????

Now I've got a bunch of heli guys RC boat crazy. One of them even just bought a radar gun so he could see which of our boats is the fastest!!

Chuck
Old 01-18-2015, 11:32 PM
phillyD

Oh shoes Daddy Chuck
That post was crazy with info and happenings. Very interested as you know I'm in a place with sails and things.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:38 PM
clp.eng

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000554553470
Old 01-21-2015, 11:30 PM
phillyD

Geez sir chuck I'm guessing..please tell me I'm wrong LOL
Old 02-05-2015, 04:12 PM
clp.eng

Know what I REALLY hate??? I ordered a quad from Hobbyking & not four days later it went on sale for 30% less!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How's everybody doing?

Chuck
Old 02-11-2015, 07:16 PM
clp.eng

Here it is:

Flies pretty well but it needs a bit of tweaking.

CHuck

Name:	IMG_5615.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	2072414  
Old 02-16-2015, 07:34 PM
dknovick

Here it is:
That's so cute! Sorry you missed the sale.

Thanks for all the info on the RC sail boaty, me harty! Keep us informed, it's always fun to learn about other aspects of the hobby.
Radar for a boat! LOL!

As far as FPV:
  1. Depends on what you want to do and what you want to fly. I'm going to do FPV with my tricopter (whenever I finally get to it).
  2. Hell yes! That just means went you wreck it, it'll be cheaper/better when you rebuild it!

PhD-
What exactly is a Nelson eye?

Finished a CineStar8 octocopter (12lbs+ payload) for work w/ a Graupner radio. It's a sweet sweet radio.

Speaking of quads... I'm helping out at one of our High School after hours Robotics club. They are entering a competition, and this is the first year that the sponsors are introducing a flying aspect to it. This first year will be RC, with the though that it will be more autonomous the following years. And we're going to do FPV.

I recently found http://www.readytoflyquads.com/ who have all of the various cheap flight controllers. So, for the school project, I choose:
  • OPQ (One Piece Quad)
  • Flip Motors
  • Fire Red ESC
  • Flip MWC Flight Controller

Since I think I'm finally going to retire my FM RC radio and completely switch over to my DX8, I was going to ask how you all set it up for flight sims (Phoenix in my case), but then I came across this post:
Simulator setup: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=538755
Phoenix setup: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=561059

And since it's time to get back into it, I also came across this:
From Tail-in to all 8s and funnels in 6 month: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....70#post5003370

And to finish off, a couple of other simulators:
Heli-X: http://www.heli-x.info/index_e.php
AccuRC: http://www.accurc.com/ (you can actually work on a virtual workbench)

-Dave
Old 02-25-2015, 04:42 PM
clp.eng

Ya' it is kinda' cute. Been kinda' busy & still haven't got it flying the way it should. Of course there are constant distractions around here.

Since the heli guys were getting a bit bored, I bought the little plank. I haven't tried it at the gym yet but had it out back a couple of times. It does NOT like any breeze at all.

When I'm not flying, driving or sailing I do a little fishing!

I don't know if I mentioned we put solar panels on the new roof? Actually, 33 of them at about 270 kWh each. We got out 1st full month electric bill & it was a 50 dollar credit! Sweet!

Did you try any of those sims, Dave? Never heard of any of them. I still sporadically use my Phoenix but...

I'm definitely going to look at that link for 6 months (my *****!) I'll bet I won't make it in that time frame!

Chuck

Name:	IMG_5647.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2076461   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5664.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	2076462  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.