Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MSR - is the DX6i worth buying?

Finally got a new MSR and very much like it, but would love to have a little more control over it (specifically change the servo rates for the roll control). As of now I am using the MSR with the stock controller in a 21' x 16" room and find myself using the training mode more often then not. I want to take it outside or into a huge indoor space I have access to at work, but just find the stock transmitter a little difficult to control it with. I only have the MSR and MCX, would the DX6i be a wise investment or are there others as or more worthy of a look in the same (or lower) price range?

Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: MSR - is the DX6i worth buying?

AE3007A1P,

The DX6i, is a good radio and probably one of the less expensive 2.4 gHz programmable TX's out there. Futaba's 7c is also good, but about 100 bucks more.
    Also, look at your long range goals and what type of helis or planes will you be flying in the next 6 months or year. The Spectrum and Futaba systems are the most popular out there for the beginner, intermediate and even some expert flyer.

DX6i : http://www.advantagehobby.com/produc...107231&cat=278

Futaba: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTTM1&P=FR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I love my DX6i. Even though I bought it before my mSR. I use it with one of my 450 heli's and now the mSR. But I see myself buying a parkzone micro mustang as well. So it'll be great to have one nice TX controlling all 3 of them. I say if you can spare the case get a DX6i or even a DX7.
    http://www.kenbuys.com - reviews of stuff I buy
    http://iphonenodata.com - disable EDGE/3G iphone

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What are the main differences between the DX7 and the DX6i? Can a DX6i be used to control a larger full CP heli? What can a DX7 be used for that a DK6i cannot be used for?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm a futaba guy myself but either that or the dx would be better than the stock msr tx...you really only need 5-6 channels 90% of the time,,a 7 is a luxury for working lights or retracts but most of that, bomb drops, that sort of thing can still be done on 5 channels..so the dx6i should be fine for many applications,,the only thing I dont like about the 2.4 is the price of the rx's....Rog
    Ever walk into a room and forget what you went in for?...ADHD, welcome to my world,it happens everyday!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for all the input. I've got a DX6i on order.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AE3007A1P

Thank you for all the input.* I've got a DX6i on order.*
    You will not be disappointed. I got mine with the B400 and I am amazed. I bound it to my boy's MCX and it is like a different heli compared to the stock transmitter. You made a great choice.
    When you crash an RC car, you pop a ball joint back in place. When you crash an RC heli, you get a broom and dust pan.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Correct me if I am wrong but the Futaba will not work with the MSR or any of the BNF. So far I am very happy with my DX6i and have 5 models programed in it. One day I hope to get a DX7. It has one more channel and more functions the the 6i.
    Rebel Racing

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A Futaba radio will work with an mSR if the radio has a 2.4 Spektrum module installed in it. Otherwise no. I don't think the Futaba 2.4 works with them because it's a different standard than the DSM2 that Spektrum/JR use.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I should have been more clear the Fataba radio listed above will not work. Yes if you run one with the Spekturm module it would work but if you do not have a computer radio the cheapest thing to do is get a DX6i or if you can afford it a DX7.
    Rebel Racing

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It just showed up and I've been pouring through this site setting it up for the MSR.  It's amazing how different the MSR feels bound to this transmitter.  There was a link to a great set up PDF that I found on the site....really helped with the set up.  I need a calm day outdoors badly....I'm outgrowing my livingroom as a flying space.  Thanks again for all the input - you guys were spot on.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What I like about the DX6i is setting up the dual rate so I cam claim it down for small rooms or switch the dual rate the other way and have it a mean machine.
    Rebel Racing

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Setting up a mix so it flies 100% straight with no roll or yaw imputs is a nice perk too!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I recently purchased a Blade MSR RTF. After reading this thread and others, I also purchased a DX6Iradio. I initially flew the MSR using the RTFradio. It seemed to fly OK. Ibound the DX6I to it and programmed what I felt comforatable with. Ican't tell much difference between flying with the stock radio and the DX6I. You mentioned that you found a PDFon setting up the radio for the MSR. Where did you find that document?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just click here to get to the post with the PDF.  It was posted by RC Universe member CocoSantago.   I would also suggest setting up your Mix 2 as follows: Mix 2 :
    ELEV-> AILE ACT
    RATE
    L - 20% R - 25%
    SW ON TRIM INH.

I got that from another post on this site....I don't remember the posters name, but I unfortunately can't take credit for it.  That mix will make the MSR fly as straight as an arrow with no roll input.  As I'm learning, there is some variation from one MSR to another, so you might have to tweak the numbers a digit or two, but it will get you pretty close.  To me, that mix 2 adjustment made the MSR more capable of precise indoor flying than any other single setting adjustment. 

Good luck and let me know how it goes.  I'm still busy changing settings - this site has a wealth of knowledge shared over it.  I'm just trying out what other's have posted and then mixing and matching to suit my taste as I understand what everything does.  You will notice quite a difference.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Iclicked on the link for the PDFdocument. It started loading but after a few seconds, the word Stopped is displayed at the bottom of my browser and it appears to freeze. Ifound the forum where the document was originally posted by searching for DX61 MSR. I tried loading it from there and again my browser froze. I'm using the Mozilla browser. Anyone else having this same problem?

Monday AM - answered my question. When I logged on from my office, Iused the Internet Explorer browser and I was able to download the PDF.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I read the PDF file and configured my transmitter per the document. I have to make some repairs from the last "landing" so I've not had an opportunity to fly it using the new settings. I am a bit confused by the settings. I expected that for indoor flight the controls would be less sensitive. Based on the DX6I manual, setting EXPO to a negative value increases the sensitivity around "stick center".

I suspect that the biggest change will be the suggestion to set the gyro to 100%. By default it is set to 50%. The changes to the throttle should also help it maintain altitude.

Those of you who have set up your transmitter per the document, what are your findings?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would have thought dulling out the sensitivity around stick center would have been a perk too, but depending on which axis is in question, that's not always the case.  When it comes to your roll axis, if the stick requires too much travel to get a reasonable response, you'll find yourself bouncing off the walls with some frequency.  When it comes to yaw though, I found the opposite held true, although after reading a bunch of posts, I might be alone in that thought.  I wanted the throttle to have a much steeper curve at least initially, and then taper off between the last two programmable positions.  The idea here is to get the copter off the ground rapidly without a lot of stick movement, but then not have it too sensitive at higher power settings.  After all that was done, the big issue became getting the MSR to track straight in level flight, that's where the above mix comes in so handy.  In summary - the higher sensitivity settings just give you more exact control when flying in a confined area.  I just didn't like to yaw too senstive.