Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

New Blade SR: collective pitch!

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

New Blade SR: collective pitch!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:48 PM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Blade SR: collective pitch!

acdii - ya' I think I know your where abouts now! Check out the heli flying lessons on "rchelicopterfun.com" & "MikeysRC.com" (the LINK command isn't working today!). I've watched them both & have been trying to do nose in using MikeysRC method. It sorta' works. See my efforts here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icNW1..._order&list=UL

Make sure the links on the swashplate are on the short arms on the msR for less throw.

A lot of people say it's best to learn to hover in all the orientations before doing forward flight.

Chuck
Old 02-01-2011, 09:04 AM
clp.eng

The links are working today:

[link=http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/how-to-fly-rc-helicopters.html]RChelicopterfun link[/link]

[link=http://www.mikeysrc.com/RC-Helicopters-Learn-To-Fly-Video-Series.html]MikeysRC link[/link]

I hope they help.

Chuck
Old 02-01-2011, 09:31 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

That first link Ihave visited before, and found a lot of useful information. It helped me get a grip on the mCX flying for sure.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:52 AM
PTC Bernie

OK, just did a little test on the servos and they do NOT return to center very well at all. Thanks to Rob for posting that video!

I'm heading to the local hobby store this weekend anyway, so I'll pick up some HS65MG's and replace the stock servos. I have some JR digital servos, but they're a little too big to fit the alotted space.

I'll also reset the gyro with the two layers of tape for vibration isolation, and use channel 5 for the gyro gain.

When I do that, do I crank the gyro gain pot all the up, or down? I've seen both ways mentioned in different posts, but all the way up makes more sense to me. That waythe pot on the Xmitter controls 0% to 100% of full gain on the gyro pot. If the pot on the gyro is all the way down, then the pot on the xmitter controls 0% to 100% of......ZERO as the pot on the gyro is set all the way down.

Am I thinking correctly on that?

I'm gonna get this thing in the air yet, and more importantly, back on the ground in one piece!

Thanks,

Bernie

Old 02-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: PTC Bernie

OK, just did a little test on the servos and they do NOT return to center very well at all. Thanks to Rob for posting that video!

I'm heading to the local hobby store this weekend anyway, so I'll pick up some HS65MG's and replace the stock servos. I have some JR digital servos, but they're a little too big to fit the alotted space.

I'll also reset the gyro with the two layers of tape for vibration isolation, and use channel 5 for the gyro gain.

When I do that, do I crank the gyro gain pot all the up, or down? I've seen both ways mentioned in different posts, but all the way up makes more sense to me. That waythe pot on the Xmitter controls 0% to 100% of full gain on the gyro pot. If the pot on the gyro is all the way down, then the pot on the xmitter controls 0% to 100% of......ZERO as the pot on the gyro is set all the way down.

Am I thinking correctly on that?

I'm gonna get this thing in the air yet, and more importantly, back on the ground in one piece!

Thanks,

Bernie

Glad the info helped but these servos are a far better option http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.u...p?JPNO=7712115

you can't use the HS65MGs with the stock SR radio as they are reversed and you will need a programmable computer radio to compensate...

The JP servos will fit perfectly and you can still use your stock radio...

Try to set as LITTLEgain as possible or your will have tail wag..
Old 02-18-2011, 01:12 PM
PTC Bernie

Hi Rob.

I'll look into those servos, I'm not familiar with them, not sure I've sen them here in the States. As far as the servos being reversed, I should be able to take care of that on the HP6DSM via the dip switches on the front of the radio, yes? I've had very good luck with the HiTec servos and would just as soon stay with them if I can.

Thanks again, have a good weekend.

Bernie
Old 03-03-2011, 05:42 AM
PTC Bernie

OK, thanks to all for your help and suggestions, but I've decided I'm not a helicopter pilot.

My Blade SR's been sold and I'm going back to my electrics and sailplanes.

Best of luck to you all.

B
Old 03-11-2011, 06:40 PM
blazinwes

hello everyone. I am fairly new to this hobby but i have fallen in love with it already. I got a blade sr 120 and mastered it completely flying outside and inside my one bedroom apartment. I just recently bought 2 SR's for myself so i have 2 to wreck lol. But i was impaitent and decided to try and fly one of them outside and pretty crappy weather. when i powered it up a freak gust of wind hit and blew the heli to the side. I quickly cut the throttle and blades hit into the grassy ground. I quickly decided not to fly anymore espically being completly unexpirenced in CP helis! Well I later found inside that the heli will no longer lift off the ground even at full throttle! Hell instead of pitching upwards, it appears the hell is pitching downward. When it is at full throttle u can visually see the heli squating down on the training gear. Im guessing the pitch of my blades are completly screwed lol!? i bought that pretty expensive nice red metal HeliMax pitch guage, but its to big for the blade . And that was the only one my local hobby shop had in stock. A E-flite was is on order lol. But i was hoping someone could give some real solid advice and direction on how to solve this problem without a pitch gauge. I would really like to have some tips, tricks and direction on how to set the pitch, balance, tracking, and fly bar as well. When you check the pitch should you power up the heli so the gyro and everything loads up or no? Should both blades be pitched at 0 degrees? im excited to learn all this so i can fine tune my helis and fix them when i wreck them lol. This is the only thing that intiminated me to going to CP helis! I would just appreciate some step by step procedures lol because thats probably what im going to need. Thanks for your help everyone!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:09 PM
clp.eng

blazinwes - I'm no expert on these things but here is what an old "salt" told me he did when he 1st started out.

"That's how I do the main blades also, is since the flybar is directly in my line of sight, I get eye level with the blades in relation to the flybar and check for 0 pitch. We all have our own knacks, but this way just seems more accurate to me is all I guess. Because since the gauge is out of the way and off the blade, I step back eye level and can see very clearly if the flybar is level with key objects like the main shaft mount, locking collar, washout etc. etc. And then eye the blade to see that its square level and at 0 degrees very quickly. I only use the gauge for setting my ranges then. Just my thang ya know...? ! "

Also, I would recommend looking at the Finless Bob setup vids on the helifreak forum. Though they are for a larger bird, the theory applies. Read the manual carefully & I know it's a lot but there is some really good info in this thread if you take the time to read it.

If you can find a local mentor to help you that will save you a lot of time & trouble!

Good luck & keep us posted.

Chuck
Old 03-13-2011, 10:26 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

If you are using the radio it came with, check the switches, maybe the one controlling the pitch is reversed. That would cause the problem you are having, a flip to the side would only break a blade if anything, it shouldnt have affected the pitch control.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Redharris

Hello everyone.....
I flew the mCX for about 6 months and finally got bored with it.
So, I went out and got the mSR bind and fly. It took me a day or so of orientation practice
and making small hovering HOPS across the floor before I was ready to attempt a full hover.
Soon, I was hovering around the living room without a problem. Its a Lot more sensitive than any co-ax heli,,,,but thats what makes it so much more fun, IMO.
It wasnt long before I was flying outdoors (on Calm days only) and having a Blast.
I have decided that I am hooked on this Heli thing and need a better bird for Outdoor flying. I am thinking of buying the SR. If I could afford a 450 or 500 size heli, I would go that route, but alas I cannot.
I have a Phoenix Flight Sim (way easier to fly the mSR in the sim than in real life) and have been practicing on the SR. I am guessing that the SR is also much more difficult to fly in real life than in the simulator.
I have gotten to the point that I dont crash the SR in the sim, unless I am trying to get "tricky" with my maneuvers. If I fly with enough altitude, I can usually recover from just about any loss of orientation.
I have found that the hardest thing to learn (for me) is to fly low, slow, and straight with controlled (slow) turns.

Anyway,,,,it seems to me (from reading through this entire thread) that the only real weak point on the SR is the tail motor. ( I know the separating Swash plate has been a bit of a problem too).
However, (correct me if I am wrong) it seems like the guys who set the bird up right from the very start (balanced blades, level pitch adjustments, etc) have less tail rotor problems than the guys who do not do all the tedious set up stuff and just fly it right out of the box. It also seems like the guys who fly more aggressively, (mild 3G ) will be more likely the stress out the tail motor and the swash assembly.
Have I got this right?.......I am thinking the SR will be my next step, unless you guys can convince me otherwise.....
Old 03-13-2011, 12:16 PM
clp.eng

Redharris - Did you look at the clone 450s? I picked up a nice used one for 100 bucks minus the Tx. The 450s are definitely going to handle the wind better. Having said that I use the sR to learn to fly in the wind so when I fire up my 450 it's a piece of cake in the wind!

I have a good number of packs (20 to 30) on the sR & have had no problem with the tail motor. It is a brushed motor & will wear out sooner or later! It's the nature of the beast.

It is still a BIG leap from the msR to the SR! Take it slow & easy. Check out some of the training vids on YouTube. MikeysRC & RChelicopterFun are 2 I watched & I'm sure there are others.

Maybe you might even want to try a 300 size FP as a next step. HoneyBee V2 is a real nice stable inexpensive heli but I replaced a lot of motors on it. I also flew it every day & 2 or 3 packs in a row...

Chuck
Old 03-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Redharris

ORIGINAL: clp.eng

Redharris - Did you look at the clone 450s? I picked up a nice used one for 100 bucks minus the Tx. The 450s are definitely going to handle the wind better. Having said that I use the sR to learn to fly in the wind so when I fire up my 450 it's a piece of cake in the wind!

I have a good number of packs (20 to 30) on the sR & have had no problem with the tail motor. It is a brushed motor & will wear out sooner or later! It's the nature of the beast.

It is still a BIG leap from the msR to the SR! Take it slow & easy. Check out some of the training vids on YouTube. MikeysRC & RChelicopterFun are 2 I watched & I'm sure there are others.

Maybe you might even want to try a 300 size FP as a next step. HoneyBee V2 is a real nice stable inexpensive heli but I replaced a lot of motors on it. I also flew it every day & 2 or 3 packs in a row...

Chuck
I have seen too many forum members that have 450 (and larger) helis sitting in the garage because they are too afraid of the repair bill when they crash em, then buy a smaller (harder to fly? But WAY cheaper to fix) heli to learn/break on. I have looked at the larger clone Helis, and they are to much for me, right now. I lack too many basic skills for a project that size. The SR RTF is right up my alley right now. I know I will quickly outgrow the included radio, but at $200, its no big deal. That radio will suffice to fly with until I graduate to a better 6 or 7 channel Xmitter. Also, my LHS is an E-Flite dealer, so they stock most of the parts for the SR.

The fixed pitch helis are getting easy enough to fly, that I feel I would quickly be,,,, maybe not Bored,,,,but ready to graduate to a full ccpm heli. I can fly the Crap out of the Blade SR in my Phoenix Sim. I know that doesnt mean a lot, so I have moved on to learning the more difficult helis. I am progressing,,,,but still need practice with Those.
I am fairly confident that I could learn to hover the SR in a couple weeks. Once I can hover reliably,,,,I can proceed to Breaking things and learning to repair
Old 03-15-2011, 03:28 PM
clp.eng

redharris - Go for IT! Put training gear on it for the 1st few attempts as this will save you a ton of money until you get the hang of the CP bird taking off. Take vids of your maiden as I'd be interested in seeing how you do!

If you want to see my pathetic attempts as heli flight, see my vids (clp9999) on youtube. I highly recommend my 1st attempt with the J2 Cub plank! lol

Good luck.

Chuck
Old 05-16-2011, 03:58 AM
sunco1

So I just rebuilt my sr and in the process I replaced the esc. Now, as soon as a touch the throttle the tail motor goes to full rpm. Anyone got any ideas? I can't figure it out. I tried messing with the gain on the esc but that didn't seem to work.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:13 AM
billyt

u 2 belive it or not hh blade tech claims that is the way the esc is made? i sent mine back in and got a phone call from hh tech and he said"idk why the programing is that way but u should have no problem on take off when tail motor gets almost full 3 cell lipo voltage on inital spool up" and i even got it in writing when heli came back from hh i bound to dx7 &10x w/2.4 module same tail motor action the reason is it is a heading hold gyro that would normally running a servo BUT I FOUND THAT IF U HOLD FULL LEFT RUDDER STICK JUST ON INITAL SPOOL UP TAIL MOTOR WONT TURN AND MAIN ROTOR WILL START TO SPOOL UP THEN U RELEASE STICK SLOWLY AND THEN HELI WILL SPOOL BOTH UP AT SAME TIME ???? well it works on mine but it is a poor design to say the least i think they hh really missed the mark with the claim that if u can fly a cx or msr u can fly this heli ya right. i have 30s 50s&60s and a coulple of gassers that are way easier to fly than this little monster the original cp n cp pro but oh well u cant put a price on fun!!!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Drumheller Dave

I have a SR...in fact have a mcx msr 400 and mcpx.......love the sr never smashed her in yet........have tons of flights.......around 100 or so.......never had a prob yet