Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Blade MSR Main Rotor Grips - Washers and O-Rings

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade MSR Main Rotor Grips - Washers and O-Rings

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 08:01 AM
bcr1953chevy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade MSR Main Rotor Grips - Washers and O-Rings

I'm replacing the main rotor grips on my Blade MSR. I ordered and received replacement grips from Horizon Hobby. The new grips came with metal washers and o-rings. The exploded parts drawing in the manual shows the washers and o-rings installed between the grips and the rotor shaft. Ido not believe that my MSRas shipped new was built this way.

I installed the washers and grommets when I installed the new grips. The head assembly seems to be pretty tight.

Should the washers and grommets be installed?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:56 PM
dankirk

Default RE: Blade MSR Main Rotor Grips - Washers and O-Rings

Mine doesn't have them either, unless they're recessed into the holes in the rotor head. I've read that some people have brass washers between the blade holders and the rotor head, and I definately do not have those.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Mike01

I don't know if I have the brass washers or not, they could have fallen out, but the replacement blade grips I just put on are spaced wider than the ones that were there before and I now have massive toilet bowl effect, where the heli will start toilet bowling on its own, every time, all the time, no matter what I do.

Needless to say, I ordered the washers.

The o-rings are in there, but they are recessed and not readily apparent. The spindle would not sit in place without them.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:08 PM
klaze

The o-rings are pushed into the holes. The washer goes on the outside of those.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Mike01

Nevermind, the lack of washers did not cause TBE. I'll be damned if I know what did. If I had to guess it was the fact that the main motor was pushed too far down. I pressed it down by mistake when attaching landing gear. I put it back in place (centered the gear) and TBE is gone (the unusual TBE, anyway). But that may have nothing do with it.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:31 AM
bcr1953chevy

I contacted Horizon Hobby yesterday by telephone and they advised that yes, those washers and O rings belong between the grips. I mentioned that it makes the assembly pretty tight but they did not comment on that .

I'm glad that someone mentioned that the O rings go on the inside. I assembled mine with the washers on first, O rings on the outside and it is really tight. Can't get it off the ground. I re-checked the exploded parts drawing and now I see the error of my ways. The drawing should be more detailed or at least note this. Oh well, what's another disassembly and re-assembly. Soon I will be able to do this with my eyes closed.

I'll let y'all know how this goes after the re-assembly.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:44 PM
bcr1953chevy

Now I've done it. I turned my easily able to hover MSR into a flying crazy bird. It takes off and angles back and to the side. Adjusting the trim settings does not seem to have an affect.

I should have paid more attention to this bird when it was working. I noitced that when the blades are spinning and I move the transmitter sticks, the swashplate and flybar move but the main rotor blades remain spinning in the same axis. Is this normal? or is the friction between the grips, washers and O rings causing me grief? I can tilt the rotor and flybar by hand. When the servo operates, it moves the flybar but not the rotor.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Sasquatchin

Double check your linkages from the swash plate on up. Sounds like something is not connected correctly
Old 01-16-2010, 06:41 PM
bcr1953chevy

Ifound a linkage problem with the flybar. Ireplaced the flybar and one of the linkages. It helped but it still flys like a crazy bird.

When operating the aileron and elevator servo, should the main rotor move when the flybar moves? or should the main rotor stay in it's plane and only the flybar move?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92659.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1357463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17550.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1357464  
Old 01-16-2010, 10:52 PM
ct420

Use the orange swash plate alignment tool to make sure the swash is not pushed down. There are videos demonstrating how to use the swash alignment tool for the mSR on youtube and other sites if you need to see how to use it...

Old 01-17-2010, 01:00 AM
monsterchug

I saw the O Rings and washers on the parts diagram too. The O rings make the assembly too tight so I just fly with the washers in there.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:16 PM
bcr1953chevy

to ct420 - Iuse the orange swashplate adjustment tool every time I have a hard landing or crash. Once or twice the swash plate bearing was loose and I was able to repair it. I don't believe that is the problem this time.

to monsterchug - Did you try to fly the MSR with the O rings installed? Mine gets off the ground a few inches and starts making big circles, usually flys backwards, tips to one side and then I have to shut down the throttle to keep from hitting something hard. I 'll remove the O rings and try it like that. Ijust wondered if you experienced the same problem and if so, did removing the Orings correct the problem?

Old 01-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Lipps199

I just bought my mSR after getting pretty good with the mCX and the first day Ipopped the back of the tail motor. I managed to do some neck breaking surgery and fix it. I had unplugged the tail motor and was working on it. upon fixing it it flew fine but after a couple batteries it started to fly like you are discribing Idid a bit of looking and noticed that the plug for the tail motor had come unplugged but was still making minimal contact still. Long story short Iplugged it back in and it worked fine. Try to see if your tail motor plug has come undone.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:01 PM
bcr1953chevy

Lipps199,

Can you tell me if the rubber Orings and washers are installed on your "factory" MSR?
Old 01-18-2010, 11:07 PM
monsterchug

Mine came without the O rings or washers. It flew with a little TBE so I tried putting in the O Rings and washers to see if it would fly better. I couldnt get it off the ground in proper control. I ended up taking the O rings off but leaving the washers on.
I ended up changing the flybar which was the TBE cause. I could place the old flybar on a level surface and it would not lay flush.

I also tried lubing the O rings with a little bit of teflon lube when I had them on but it didn't help.

There's my .02 cents.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:48 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Mine came factory without them. I have weighted my flybar and cut 1/8" from the backside of the blades. I like the way this makes it fly.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:48 PM
ct420

My new (1+ week) old BnF mSR has two rubber o-rings which are pressed into the main head unit, and two tiny brass washers. One on each side of the head. Between the head and blade grip.

It had a little slop when I pulled it out of the box. A day or two after I got it, I took the head apart, and added two more tiny shims alongside the brass washers. It took all the slop out of the head, but still let it move freely. It flies a little better this way, but did not make a huge difference...

Old 01-20-2010, 09:30 PM
monsterchug

53 chevy,

What was the culprit?
I'm just curious how it ended up...
Old 01-23-2010, 06:09 AM
bcr1953chevy

Sorry that I've not responded before. I did not have time to work on the MSR this week. Work's been interfering with my hobby... This morning I found the answer to the problem! I read the last few remarks posted here (especially the comment from ct420) and from those remarks determined that the O rings and washers should be installed.

I disassembled the rotor head and grips, closely examined the main rotor hub and what to my wondering eyes should appear but two rubber O rings that are already in there! They are tucked inside the main rotor hub and unless you know that you are looking for them, they are not obvious.

I removed the two additional O rings from the feathering spindle that I accidently installed when I installed the new grips. I installed the brass washers and re-attached the main blade grips. The main rotor blade and flybar are free. No binding and no slop. You can easily feel the difference between a bad repair and a repair where the O rings and washers are properly installed.

I fired it up and it looks promising. Now I can get it a few inches off the ground without it acting like it is possessed. It even attempts to hover. I need to spend some time trimming it. I may have to change the settings in my DX6i transmitter. I believe that it is a little too responsive until I get the MSR properly trimmed.

I have to work today so I won't be able to report any additional progress on the trimming until later tonight or tomorrow.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:02 PM
ct420

Sounds good. A lot of people think they don't have the rubber o-rings, but they do You can use the spindle to pry them out gently if needed.

Not sure if you know this, but the mSR is VERY squirrely if you slowly spool it up until it gets light on the skids. It will want to tip over or skate all over the place. Best to just goose the throttle quickly and pop it up at least 1ft off the floor. It should setting into a fairly stable hover with no input on the cyclic stick.

Good luck!
Old 01-23-2010, 04:17 PM
res3567

Yes I second that.......i
ORIGINAL: ct420

Sounds good. A lot of people think they don't have the rubber o-rings, but they do You can use the spindle to pry them out gently if needed.

Not sure if you know this, but the mSR is VERY squirrely if you slowly spool it up until it gets light on the skids. It will want to tip over or skate all over the place. Best to just goose the throttle quickly and pop it up at least 1ft off the floor. It should setting into a fairly stable hover with no input on the cyclic stick.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2010, 08:49 PM
bcr1953chevy

Some good tips on the throttle. I agree, get it off the ground a little and it settles down.

Since I removed the extra O rings, mine flies as it did out of the box.

For those of you who are wondering if your O rings and washers are set up correctly, there is a slight bit of play between the rotor head and the main blade grips. It is not sloppy, just enough to keep it from binding.

The next problem I have to tackle is the retaining washer on the one servo. It came loose in a previous landing and I have to push it back down every 3 or 4 flights. I'm going to try installing a second retainer on that servo and see if that corrects the problem.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:42 AM
klaze

I fly this heli no problem while it's falling apart.

Toilette Bowl Effect "TBE" is a non issue on this heli.

What you are feeling is a characteristic of flying this heli as a newbie..
Old 01-27-2010, 03:53 AM
Flyboyxc
My Feedback: (2)

Guys, I have to say I've enjoyed reading all of these posts and remembering what I went through when I got my MSR. I didn't have many problems except for some failure in the blade grips. The little screws wouldn't go on tight and usually would result in the blades spinning off in early flight. I replaced the grips and stuck the tiny brass washers on each side of the rotor head. She flies pretty good now. Did anyone think the RTF transmitter didn't work nearly as well wit h the MSR as our bigger, nicer transmitters? When I flew with the included RTF transmitter I couldn't fly it half as well as I can now with my Dx7, it always seemed to be slightly delayed and very loose and squirrely.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:49 PM
bcr1953chevy

There is another thread, "MSR - is the DX6I worth buying" that discusses flying the MSR with the larger transmitters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.