Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

MSR Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 08:24 PM
AE3007A1P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSR Upgrades?

Has anyone made any upgrades to their MSRthat really improved performance? I upgraded the life out of my MCX with reasonably good results, but am VERY hesitant about doing anything to the MSR. I like the aesthetics of the Microheli aluminum main frame and tail, but like the way the copter flies so much that I'm really not sure about making changes. I fly primarily indoors in a fairly small space, but do get an occasional blast in a 30,000 plus square foot indoor area and outdoors. The Cuscker mods look interesting, but do seem like they will detract from the living room flying. Anyone try any upgrades with the MSR? Care to share the results?

Old 01-16-2010, 09:43 AM
AE3007A1P

Default RE: MSR Upgrades?

How about the 150maH batteries? I've ready they are longer and heavier - anyone try one? Do they cause center of gravity issues?
Old 01-17-2010, 07:48 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Here are a couple I did to mine. Did not make a big difference but I like the small change it made. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1176402
Old 01-17-2010, 09:33 PM
bcr1953chevy

Just curious, are the rubber O rings and washers installed on the fethering spindle between the main rotor hub and the blade grips? Ireplaced my blade grips, installed the rubber O rings and washers and I've turned a great flying heli into a crazy bird that barely gets off the ground before it crashes.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:43 AM
bps

Mine are not. Factory did not put them on.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:05 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: AE3007A1P

How about the 150maH batteries? I've ready they are longer and heavier - anyone try one? Do they cause center of gravity issues?
Have not tried it in my MSR but did tried it in my MCX and it does affect handling. I do not use it much at this point. If I get time I will try it in my MSR.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:06 PM
bcr1953chevy

I have used the 150 mah battery on my MSR. I did not notice any handling problems. The 120 mah batteries don't last very long. The 150 mah batteries do add a little flight time.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:32 PM
AE3007A1P

I've been eyeing the Micro heli upgrades and everything I read seems to point to the right combo being the blade grips, rotor head and anti rotation collar, so I have them on order.  It seems the MH swash bearing is a bit too tight and the frame is too heavy.  Granted, this thing is a living room flyer, but I am trying to see if I can tighten up the handling a bit.  We'll see!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:01 PM
eagleedge

If you truly want to upgrade the performance of the mSR Cusker RC is the only way to go. The performance kit that they offer is the only thing out there that will make your mSR perform better. Other than blade grips the rest of the aluminum parts are just bling and make your heli heavier. A heavier heli is a slower heli. So if it is a performance upgrade you are wanting check out the performance kits from Cusker. http://cuskerrc.com/
Old 02-02-2010, 10:29 PM
AE3007A1P

I agree there are a lot of "bling only" parts, which is why I ordered only the parts I metioned above. After installing them tonight, I'm very happy with the performance of my MSR and here's why: I fly indoors in a fairly small 22' x 15' area; I can't use the full performance of the MSR in this area, but I do need the heli to be very precise in its movements since I don't have a lot of room for error. The rotor head and anti rotation collar both reduce the control arm play in the two sets of control arms that runfrom the swash plate to the fly bar and the fly bar to the blade grips. Removing that slop allows me to have more control over it. Is it faster? Absolutely not. Does it weigh more? I didn't weigh the parts, but if it is heavier, it's so nominal that it wouldn't make much of any difference anyway. I was able to maneuver the MSR around the room at a much higher rate of speed than I was before without feeling like it was out of control. It's just more controllable.

I've been through the Cusker web site and I would tend to agree - their kits looks like they'd make the MSR a real rocket, but I'm afraid that would be a bit much for the space I have to work with. If you're shooting for control and precision flying in fairly tight quarters, the microheli rotor head, anti rotation collar and blade grips along with a DX6i or comparable transmitter are the way to go! If I ever start flying micros outdoors more than I do, I'd probably get another one and add the Cusker kit.