Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

CP tail rotor conversion.

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

CP tail rotor conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:18 AM
res3567

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CP tail rotor conversion.

I purchased a direct drive tail motor kit for my Blade CP. I am training on that bird having "graduated" from my mCX, CX2, and mSR. My biggest issue was the tail rotor.....as I am training on grass to soften my landings, this huge rotor somtimes will get caught in the grass blades and not spin before takeoff. I already broke the tail saver shaft once and replaced it but I figured getting the smaller tail rotor will speed up my training (and I have a long way to go). I cannot get the tail motor housing off of the tail boom. Any suggetions? I am getting a little frustrated....the new motor assembly is ready to go...I got the fins also for the CP Pro 2 and am going to use the tail saver shaft as well to protect my new investment, but the stock tail housing seems to be glued in place and something snapped when I was twisting it to get it off.....I might have cracked the end of the tail boom.....So I stopped immediately. An suggestions?
Old 01-31-2010, 12:36 PM
gi1mo2

Default RE: CP tail rotor conversion.

I had a similar problem, and my ultimate solution for the CPP2 was to replace the main frame. I tried heat that should have released the CA glue, but applied a bit too much with my heath gun, and ended up melting the boom and housing to the point that it was not safe anymore. Try heat, but be more patient than I was.

Gilles
Old 01-31-2010, 01:21 PM
res3567

Thanks for your response. Sometimes E-Flite makes me so iritated with some of their decisions......something as simple as this issue made more complicated. What would happenif I needed to replace the entire boom?
ORIGINAL: gi1mo2

I had a similar problem, and my ultimate solution for the CPP2 was to replace the main frame. I tried heat that should have released the CA glue, but applied a bit too much with my heath gun, and ended up melting the boom and housing to the point that it was not safe anymore. Try heat, but be more patient than I was.

Gilles
Old 02-01-2010, 04:46 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Hi Res,

What Gilles is saying is to use a heat gun of some type to help release the superglue that is holding the tail boom on. Super glue essentially 'melts' at something around 170degrees and that is the idea behind the heat gun usage. The boom is made of carbon fiber but the body frame and tail portion are plastic so try not to melt them by applying too much heat.

The other option is to replace either the boom by itself, [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLH1160]Link Here[/link], or to replace the boom and main frame assembly, [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLH1166]Link[/link].

Lastly, if you are having troubles keeping the bird level during a hover you may want to consider getting a pair of training gear to help prevent costly tipovers. Look [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLH1128]Here[/link].

Hope this helps you,

Mark

BTW,
Watch out for the wires that run inside the boom, they supply power to the tail motor and are easily cut. You may want to take some pictures of the tail with emphasis on the wire solder connections to the tail motor for reference in case you ever have to unsolder them to remove/replace the tail motor.

One last thing then I'll hush up , a good repair website for the blade is: www.bladecprepair.com
Old 02-01-2010, 11:08 PM
res3567

I soooo apreciate your post.....you don't have to hush up.....tell me all that you know......knowledge is power in this hobby.......
ORIGINAL: Aframomum

Hi Res,

What Gilles is saying is to use a heat gun of some type to help release the superglue that is holding the tail boom on. Super glue essentially 'melts' at something around 170degrees and that is the idea behind the heat gun usage. The boom is made of carbon fiber but the body frame and tail portion are plastic so try not to melt them by applying too much heat.

The other option is to replace either the boom by itself, [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLH1160]Link Here[/link], or to replace the boom and main frame assembly, [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLH1166]Link[/link].

Lastly, if you are having troubles keeping the bird level during a hover you may want to consider getting a pair of training gear to help prevent costly tipovers. Look [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLH1128]Here[/link].

Hope this helps you,

Mark

BTW,
Watch out for the wires that run inside the boom, they supply power to the tail motor and are easily cut. You may want to take some pictures of the tail with emphasis on the wire solder connections to the tail motor for reference in case you ever have to unsolder them to remove/replace the tail motor.

One last thing then I'll hush up , a good repair website for the blade is: www.bladecprepair.com
Old 02-10-2010, 03:17 PM
stonefly71

I used debonder.But i was looking at tail booms and they have a kit for like 10 bucks you get frame boom and tail rotor housing and a new wire for tail motor.