Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Trouble with BCXR3

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 03:57 PM
rsanti99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble with BCXR3

Hello everyone, newbie here. But have done some test engineering on real helicopters, and used to race Electric R/C Cars many years back.
About a year ago I bought this Blade CXR3 RTF. It worked fine out of the box, just a little twitching I soon remedied adjusting the gain a little. Within weeksIt started spinning to the left to first in a subtle way, but it got worse with time. It eventually got to where there was no more I could do to correct it. Not from the 3 in 1 or from the TX.

I have :
- Installed brand new blades all the way around
- Replaced the 3 in 1
- Replaced Receiver for another AR6100E
- Tried using my DX6i instead of the LP5DSM

Also (not to troubleshoot this problem):
- Replaced the Swash plate.

I don't have the yellow connector plugged to anything, but it doesn't seem to make a difference anyway.

Can it be a bad right motor? Gears seam fine.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28269.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1372509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81894.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1372510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49159.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1372511  
Old 02-05-2010, 04:40 PM
AH-64_d

Default RE: Trouble with BCXR3

I would guess that the short answer is, "Yes." It is a guess, because I have a CX2 with a 4 in 1. You have gone thru the possibilities logically, and the motor or something loose in its drive train seem to be among the few remaining possibilities. I am sure that someone with a 3 in 1 will provide a more definitive reply to your question, soon.

This snow storm provides plenty of time to try to troubleshoot the problem. It will likely convince me to finally put a new body on my CX2. Have continued to patch its old one rather than re-locate its light set into a new one, but this promises to be a long indoor weekend. May as well work on something other than stuff dragged home from the office.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:55 PM
gi1mo2

I had a CX2 that would spin uncontrollably. I replaced the motors with after market ones and boy what a difference it made. The yellow wire is most likely from you Gyro. You would only connect it to your receiver if you had a different transmitter where you could adjust the gyro gain from the transmitter (I have done that with my DX7 and CPP2) - on the transmitter, you would map Gear to Gyro, and plug the yellow in the Gear plug of your receiver.

Gilles
Old 02-05-2010, 06:11 PM
rsanti99

AH-64_d  and gi1mo2 ,

Guys, thank you for your responses. 

Gi1mo2...  Did you go with Brushless motors and if you did, where did you get them? I'll have plenty of time to shop online this weekend because of the snowstorm, Apache D mentioned. Oh, and thanks for the info on the Yellow lead. I'm pretty sure my DX6i has a Gyro Gain adjustment, but I sure haven't had a chance to play with it. 

Hope you guys have a great weekend, and Apache D, I hate bringing work home... don't envy you.

Take care,

Robin
Old 02-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Sasquatchin

I had a customer with the same issue, it was a bad (going bad) motor.  As soon as I replaced it, I took it for a test flight..flew beautifully
Old 02-05-2010, 07:40 PM
rsanti99

Thanks Sasquatchin,

Looks like it's all pointing toward the motor for the upper rotor blades. (M2)

I'll have to do a little research on replacement parts... might look into brushless, but need to learn more.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2010, 08:09 PM
AH-64_d

Rsanti99,

The threads on this forum and elsewhere document that drop in brushless kits that use your existing electronics have their problems. However, building a brushless CX2 from the ground up is also fraught with problems. I put in a pair of Xtreme motors, paid to upgrade the FETs and reverse diodes of my 4 in 1 to handle more amps, and my CX2 has plenty of snap at liftoff. Apply the money you would spend on going brushless to the purchase of your next helicopter. Your CX3 will have more than enough power with a pair of Xtremes or similar motors for innards.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:09 AM
gi1mo2

I bought the XTreme 180 A and B motors (don't forget to get one of each - they are different for each side). http://www.xtreme-production.com/xtr...id=2&Itemid=31

Gilles
Old 02-06-2010, 10:08 AM
rsanti99

Apache Delta, thanks for the sound advice... You are right, it had plenty of power for my expertise level. I'd just spend a lot of money and break stuff around the house a lot quicker

Gilles, thanks for pointing me to the extremes, and No, I had no idea that they were different, but it does make sense since they rotate opposite each other.

A is left? 

Thanks again guys, now to order some motors and figure out what the heck is going on with my DX6i.

Cheers!

Robin

Old 02-06-2010, 02:41 PM
rsanti99

Guys,

Do I need to buy new capacitors or different capacitors for the Extreme 180's? 

Any recommendations for a Hobby Soldering tool? All my stuff is in storage, and rather old. I'd probably get something new. 

Old 02-06-2010, 05:52 PM
gi1mo2

They come plug and play. Just screw them in (keep the same screws), and plug them in. You will know which one goes where because the gear on one is lower than the other. Just take note of that when you take the old ones off.

Gilles
Old 02-06-2010, 06:12 PM
rsanti99

Thanks Gilles... that is great news!

Looking forward to getting a little flight time in.. 
Old 02-07-2010, 02:16 AM
Sasquatchin

just in case you don't mark it..the lower gear is the inside shaft (top rotor). 
Old 02-07-2010, 03:52 AM
res3567

+1 on the Extreme motors. I put them in my CX2 and I ABSOLUTLY love them. My CX2flies great and I can definatly tell the difference......more power and noticeably longer flight times and they run COOLER than stock.....you will not regret the purchase and they are very easy to install.....one note....the solder leads are on the side of these motors. When you install them on your bird, the solder leads need to beon the outside. If you install themwith the leads facing on the inside, they will be close to each other and could short out if you crash.