Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Blade 400 Servo Questions ??

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade 400 Servo Questions ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 02:06 PM
harcosparky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade 400 Servo Questions ??

I recently purchased a new Blade 400, because I was bored and have not been flying for a while.

Now I have been looking at varius sources, including YouTube and read about problems with the E-Flite servos.

Mind you all that I have seen is over one year old, so I have to ask ....

Are the Servos still a problem?

Should I change them out before I have even had the first real flight?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2010, 05:31 PM
JPEE

Default RE: Blade 400 Servo Questions ??

ORIGINAL: harcosparky

I recently purchased a new Blade 400, because I was bored and have not been flying for a while.

Now I have been looking at varius sources, including YouTube and read about problems with the E-Flite servos.

Mind you all that I have seen is over one year old, so I have to ask ....

Are the Servos still a problem?

Should I change them out before I have even had the first real flight?

Thanks!
harcosparky

You have asked a question comparable to Religon or Politics. Here's the skinny. There are several of us who have several Blade 400's each and here is what we have done.
I have one 400 100% stock, and I don't fly it so as not see it crash! I have two others and both have upgraded servos to Hitec 65MGs (metal gears, they also make carbon gears for less money). In order to install these you do have to file out that compartment behind the main shaft that hold the two servos a few thousandths to squeeze in the upgrade, the front servo drops in as does the tail. There are proceedure that must followed regarding REV some of the new servos directions, more on tha t later if you need help there. If you use JR servos they slide in sweat, but cost more!
When I started I was using stock servos and didn't know jack. EVERYTIME the blades made contact I was stripping then replacing the gears for like $4.00 per servo and son, that hadds up quick in this hobby. Well after awhile the lights came on in the old noggin and I had found this site and was sopping up everything I could learn, like you now! Once I made the change the I have not looked back. I cannot tell you the amount of times I have PLOWED both helis in the ground with only "1" failure, or better said.... distruction that servo.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20093
One of the guys flies 1# of his 400s with stock servos. He had one crash when the servo stop working in the air! bit overall its a backup heli for him. Around here you will find that the SOP is to change them out straight out of the gate.
Good Luck JPEE
Old 02-12-2010, 05:47 PM
albramley

Take the stock ones out, place under tire of truck and pin er, I had nothing but problems with the stock ones, currently have JR's Ds285's cause im cheap, but I am changing out with either JR or Hitec metal gears.
Al
Old 02-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Ddaddy

I have/had the same question. My B400 is inbound as we speak.  I ordered these(below)......65mg's too expensive...atm anyway. Any opinion on these servos?

Also, what about gyro? There's been considerable talk about it being bad, but is it good enough to do "sport" on?

Cheers,
Ken
Old 02-12-2010, 09:21 PM
rotarydoc

harcosparky,

All great responses on the B400 servo issue, I upgraded to JR DS285 MG (Metal Gear) servos almost right off the bat, and never looked back since...expensive, yes, but worth every penny, I don't even give them a second thought...

Ddaddy,

I can't comment on the servos you have listed. The stock gyro is very acceptable for the beginner/sport flyer, I used mine for a full year before I upgraded to a Futaba GY401, which is a nice upgrade, for sure.

I will add though, that I lost a stock Eflite gyro in mid flight this past fall, and the result was not pretty...lol...but it's the only one I've had fail....so like the rest of the electronics on the stock B400, use at your own risk...[X(]

Glenn