Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Big delay in SR tail rotor

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Big delay in SR tail rotor

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 12:05 AM
Doug47
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big delay in SR tail rotor

Hi heli pro's !
It seems to me that my SR's tail rotor motor comes on too slowly.
Working on smooth spin-ups, the dang tail rotor is just sitting there motionless until (this is with the throttle trim all the way down) about 1/3rd throttle. The main rotor is running big time before this thing budges a bit.
Plus, no matter how slow I advance the throttle the tail rotor starts with a "BANG", causing an unmanageable p.i.a.
Once it gets around to going it holds the tail fine. It's had about 10 batteries through it.
Is this just another bad tail rotor motor guys ? Does anyone make a good one ?
What are you fellow SR new guys running for training gear ? I want to install it and should've.
From where the SR is placed in the product line as much an E-Flite fan I am it's BS for it not to have it's training gear available yet, come on .
I brought home some training gear that looks like it's for a CP+ I guess but it's way different mount wise.
Thank you for any and all input gentlemen. Doug
Old 03-13-2010, 11:14 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Big delay in SR tail rotor

I am using ESky training gear and have it zip tied to the skids. Your problem with the tail motor does this just happen when you start to take off? It is normal for a single rotor helicopter to try to spin and normally move to the left while taking off. You have to compensate for this. Both my SR and MSR I have to compensate for these movments Not sure this is what you are talking about.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Doug47

Right, I know of the compensation required but this thing's main rotor seems like it's really spinning up before the tail rotor ever starts spinning, so much so that the compensation required to keep the heli pointed straight initially during spin-up is beong done without the aid of the tail rotor at all.
When it does kick in it's very violent regardless of how slow the throtle input is.
Then once it's kicked in it works fine.
Maybe it is normal, got me.
I did pretty much what you did with the training gear, I just safety wired the CP 400 gear and it seems to be working great. Doug
Old 03-13-2010, 01:16 PM
46u

If I understand what your are saying I think mine is the same way. If I get a chance today I will check it out and report back.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:39 PM
46u

OK I just checked mine out and it takes around 1/3 on the throttle stick for the rear rotor to start turning. It takes a lot of compensation to keep it from spinning rudder and even more aileron to keep it from moving to the left. I have gotten where I can pretty much take off straight up. Now if the weather would cooperate mostly the wind I will get outside and have fun as the dining room is not real big. I am tired of hitting things which cause breakage. [:@]
Old 03-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Doug47

Thanks 46u, just another thing to get used to
Did you detect the BS flag flying on that SR introduction video with the guy showing the ...whatever she is ...how hands off and stable in hover the SR is ? Plus. he could just bash the sticks around with little effect on the heli's stability .
Did he have a nuclear gyro, because I SURE haven't been able to trim in anything close to that kind of hands-off, rock solid hover, have you ?
I've been tempted to move those two wheel collars outboard of the innermost collars on the flybar that can be moved to go ahead and move them outboard to try mellowing out the cyclic a little. My only fear is what if it mellowed it out enough to make the cyclic not responsive enough, which is probably unfounded but just another example of this learning curve. Thanks for checking your SR out and sharing that with me, I appreciate it. Doug
Old 03-13-2010, 07:38 PM
46u

This day and age you can put anything in advertisement and get away with it true or not and it is sad. [>:]
Old 03-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Doug47

I'm trying to figure out what guys are talking about a sfar as flying it in "idle up". I'm not planning on leaping into that anytime soon (should I ?), so what exactly is going on there ? Is that the throttle WFO with no or negative pitch, then when you advance the throttle pitch is added, or what ?
Also I think I coul dbenefit from a simulator, without a doubt. There's a big price difference for instance X-Heli having ones for 20-25 bucks. One had listed as 4 channel, so how would you fly that as a CP heli ? Then there's another one listed as 6 channel, woul dthat mean it's suitable for learning CP heli's ? Thanks for any info shared. Doug
Old 03-14-2010, 07:26 PM
46u

There is a switch on the TX and when you flip it no matter where the throttle stick is the head speed increase a lot. On a CP helicopter lift is not regulated like with a coaxial or FP helicopter by head speed but by the pitch of the blades. Other words if you take a coaxial or a FP and give it a higher head speed it is going to lift with a CP it is not going to lift but by the pitch of the blades. Hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Doug47

Excellent, that makes perfect sense.
After reading the section in the manual(it took me three times, but hey ) it made sense too. I thought that the setting was JUST for aerobatics, looks like it has some real plusses in wind, forward flight, and with those throttle curve adjustments maybe even more stable in a hover ?
It'll be fun to learn and use all this stuff.
Wish you lived next door 46u,you and your Georgia weather ! Doug
Old 03-15-2010, 12:31 PM
k20man

hell yeah!!! this guys are realy heli pro's .........

Old 03-15-2010, 01:22 PM
46u

You would not like Georgia weather. I have been waiting for a good day to fly outside for 3 months always windy. Then in the summer its real HOT with HIGH humidity then you are praying for a breeze.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Ddaddy

Idle up is good but beware of boom strikes (noobs like me know). 

You can APPEAR to bang the sticks like M did in the HH video...those were actually very intentional movements that basiclly keep the bird in place. I can do it on a sim but not so good on the heli....and stupid if a noob (me) does! Mine will hover if well trimmed at some altitude (6 +feet) hands off ....ummm, never take hands off a cp heli ; )

Old 03-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Doug47

I got the RealFlight 99 dollar basic today and installed it.
I'm no computer pro either, but I think my computer is lacking something.
I fired up what I guessed out of the choices available what would be close to the SR and nothing really seemed to be so I tried a T-Rex 450, a Helimax AXE cp and a couple others.
They all sucked, with VERY notchy tail rotors and I smoked them all. I couldn't even hover a one of them !
To be sure I wasn't losing my mind I took the SR to the armory where I work and hovered, did some figure 8's (SLOW figure 8's ) without difficulty.
I guess I need to find out what my computer has and what it doesn't, because though airplanes work fine helis except for the little Helimax co-ax were terrible. Airplanes take far less of everything to fly, no doubt there and I imagine it's applicable to computing power/speed/capacity or whatever it's called.
46U, et al: *****ing about the weather I didn't disclose my blessing : Except for 2-3 days a month I have 24 hour/day unlimited access to a lit , regulation basketball court at the armory I work out of, complete with a ceiling that goes from 24 to 40 feet.Any of you boys come to north central Ohio or want to take a road trip drop me a line. You will be charged by giving me free tips, but that's all Doug