Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Have you caught your local hobby store giving you false information?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, more than once
61.11%
Yes, once
5.56%
Not sure
5.56%
No, they know what they are talking about
27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Have you caught your local hobby store giving you false information?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Solman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you caught your local hobby store giving you false information?

I have one LHS that I have caught many times before not giving accurate information. For reasons either trying to make a buck, or don't know the real answer and give an educated guess. I was thinking of that today flying my CP Pro 2 this morning for a good test flight. When I bought my CPP2, I asked about the differences between direct drive and belt drive. I was told that it was a preference. Well for all of us who have flown both knows that is quite a false statement. Just ask yourself, how many 400 or bigger heli's have a direct drive tail? None that I know of and for good reason. There have been other things too, but too many to list.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:10 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Have you caught your local hobby store giving you false information?

We do not have a LHS. The closes one to me that is not a craft store is 62 miles one way. But when we did have one they where so bad I RARELY went to it. Yes I have found that many hobby shops will feed you BS just to make a sale. The one that is 62 miles away is a very good shop just to far to drive for a small parts.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:12 PM
JPEE

Default RE: Have you caught your local hobby store giving you false information?

Hi,
I can only submit that my 400s have belts. The older TREX 450s were and are belt driven or Pro models come with TT. Then there is my TREX 500ESP that came with TT but again there are 500's all over with belts too! And last, my TREX 600 electric came as a belt drive and has been flown that way for well over a year now. I have since bought the TT for it....... but just never got around to putting it on. And I have also flown it hard and done 3D flying with it as is. To be clear, I cannot fly hard 3D but there were flips and loops, inverted for brief times, front-back-side rolls and flips and that belt does fine.
One can argue which one is best, but in my opinion each has it plus's and negitives. If you bump a TT direct drive OUCH you just bought at minimum a new set of gears for the tail or at the front of the TT box in the heli. Is it smoother YES, is it constant and over all not effected by the climate yes. It is easier on the battery, yes. With a belt of which I have 5 helis and only one with TT I have never ever stripped belt in flight! Are they more maintenace yes! Are they effected buy the climate and grow tighter in the cold and sag in extream heat, yes. I know Chopper just bumped his TT last week and now need new gears, I set down my 500 to hard one day and the tail fin sunk in the dirt and the blades got caught in the deep grass and stripped my gears. I know this has happened too to Rotarydoc and Evdreamer too. So again I feel that the question has no clear cut "right" answer. Thats my humble opinion.

Poor or incorrect information from my LHS sure I have heard it, seen it numerous times. But now a few years later I find that THESE FORUMS are the answer to attaining the right answers by those that have lived it so to speak.

JPEE
Old 03-18-2010, 02:31 AM
JB-Heli

I've been using lately a Hobbytown USA location in Dallas and they have been great.  Patient (not just with me, but with other customers), knowledgeable, friendly and not pushy.  I've been very impressed...
Old 03-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Solman

We have a Hobbytown USA here too. I haven't used them too much, but seem to be ok. Only place I have found to get consistent information here is Duncan's.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:08 PM
tippytoe

There are a few shops in my area. Most are Mom and Pop. Ihave always loved going to the shops,but these dayswith the economy the way it is, it seems they will say anything to get your money! Not angry,they have to eat too,but I think they are steering a lot of newcomers in the wrong direction,and probably out of the hobby by selling them stuff that they will run into the ground really fast... Also it seems many of their employees just do not have actual knowledge of the products they sell. TONS of "fudging" going on.I've witnessed this first hand in these shops.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:50 PM
klaze

Hobby Shops are the only stores i've ever gotten honest information.

I've gotten a little BS here and there but compared to other types of stores Hobby shops rank high in ethics and honesty on my list.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:42 PM
jon6565

I started to repoly to this yesterday - and then my PC pulled a fast one!

Anyhoo... I have several hobby shops near me that I use. they all have their virtues, but being that the competition between them is fierce - they all have their own agenda. For example one of them has an excellent parts supply and the price is good, they also have knowledgable staff, all of whom seem to be hobbyists/pilots etc, however they do not sell Gaui and will bag them - especially when I was looking to buy one. I don't like that. Overall though their integrity is sound.

One other is "huge"! They cover all conceivable hobbies and therefore their expertise is spread very thin. Their pricing is high as well, but that's where I get some of my parts. Interstingly though I got a rebuild kit online for less than half their price - but for honesty and integrity, can't fault them.

Another is where I bought my Gaui 550 and my Blade 400. They had the best kit price and some good advice, but I don't get my parts from them.

Another is primarily an online store and his shop is tiny - but he has good prices but always seems too busy to give much in the way of advice.

In summary, I dont think I have witnessed disnonesty, but they will all add some spin on the products or brands that they prefer which in some instances can be very unhelpful. In the end - you guys on here and other forums are my source of information - but you have to sort the Weed from the Chaff.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Drumheller Dave

Yo....Jon........check out my post Spring is here.........it will explain a few things....Dave
Old 03-25-2010, 08:58 AM
eppler

Yes all the time that’s why I only go to them for a glow plug or fuel. I can’t stand it when I here”we don’t have it but we can order it.” Well no s&%t jack hole I can order it I wanted it today. Another time I asked for a 5x10x4mm bearing he asked what brand it was for I said brand A and he said we did not have one so I asked to see if he had one for brand B he looked and said yes but it would not work because it was not made by brand A. Just a few weeks ago I had a guy tell me that I could not use wood blades because when the temperature changes the blades warp and he has seen where a guy was flying in the morning and at midday it warmed up and his heli would not even lift off the ground because the blades had warped from temperature change
Old 03-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Solman

I think that guy had other issues besides the blades. They aren't going to warp that much, if any.