Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Blade SR Blade Grip Repair

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade SR Blade Grip Repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 04:25 PM
c9403
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade SR Blade Grip Repair

Ok guys, Ihad another crash on my blade SRas Icontinue to struggle to learn.

I now need to put a new tail boom on and Ithink I am ready to attempt that. However, last night during a crash, I broke one of the blade grips. Specifically,Ibroke off the little bump out that holds the linkage going on up to the flybar paddles. In order to repair it, Ihave to remove the blade grip and maybe replace one of the small linkage parts. But, when Iturn the screw that holds the blade grip to the main shaft / head, it just spins. Is there a secret to removing this screw to get the blade grip to come off? Do Ineed to hold something on the other side or have Idamaged something that is causing the screw to spin?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Old 03-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Ddaddy

Default RE: Blade SR Blade Grip Repair

Yep, allen wrench on other side. It's supposed to do that. When you turn it, does the blade grip wobble? If so, replace feathering pin too.

Ken
Old 03-19-2010, 12:18 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Yes Ddaddy is correct and I recommend you take the whole feathering shaft out and make sure it is not bent. So far I have bent 2 of them. One time I though there was not any damage till it would not take off and come to find out the feathering shaft was bent. [:@]
Old 04-02-2010, 05:39 PM
a.davis

Ialso am having to replace my main blade grips on my Blade SR. The original feathering shaft was sobent that one of the bearings wouldn't come free of the shaft.
Ipurchased the "Bell Mixer Upgrade Kit:BCP", part #EFLH1170, as my hobby shop owner said it would work on the BSR as well.

My question is, after disassembling the old and rebuilding the entire mixer assembly, there is still a LOT of play in the blade grips.
I'm not sure if the replacement part came with all the shims, rubber o-ring, etc. Ineed. According to the exploded parts view, I have everything assembled correctly. It's torqued down and as tight as it needs to be.

So, why the excessive play?

First post here, I heard this was a great site for info.
Thanks!
Old 05-17-2010, 05:39 AM
bldrums

well one more bent feathering shaft repair question,
I'm good up to the point of having taken the shaft out. I have 3 step washers , but I am pretty sure one side only had one step washer and one flat washer. Looking at the parts explosion ( with a magnifing glass ) Im still not sure what i should have.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Doug47
My Feedback: (24)

One time I though there was not any damage till it would not take off and come to find out the feathering shaft was bent.
I've done that one, and when the swash plate pops apart it'll do the same thing, lots of rpms but no take off !
So, why the excessive play?
Good to have you !
Looking at the parts explosion ( with a magnifing glass ) Im still not sure what i should have
Here's why-The exploded view only shows half the spacers,etc.
This'll do it.
On the long bolt:
1. very smallest in diameter washer.
2. Step washer, 'step' always goes toward bearing. If somethings touching a bearing,it's a step washer.
3.Slide the long part of the shaft through the grip.
4.Another step washer.
5. 3 shims.
6.Step washer.
7. Both o-rings.
8. 3 shims
9. Step washer.
Slide this assembly through a grip, make sure grips nut will be on bottom of grip.

On the short bolt:
1. The smallest washer
2. Step washer (remember, ridge always toward bearing)

Now screw bolt with its two washers through the second grip and into the long bolt. The slop should be gone, and like the guys said you need two 1.5mm allen drivers to tighten things up, and if you rotate the shaft and it wobbles it's bent.
Make sure the blades aren't too tight. From what the experts who've shown me so far is they need to be JUST barely tight for no freeplay to be there, but not so loose that they will flop too and fro,Johnson like, with only gravity required.
Doug
Old 05-18-2010, 05:44 AM
bldrums

yike, finally sorted all the parts in order by the manual and everything looks in order except the brass spacer #25. I have one unidentified part thats plastic, small block with a hole through it (a rubber o-ring would fit in it.) I believe it fell out of one of the blade grips but there is only one. Dont see a brass part at all (spacer ) so I wonder if there was a change in production? Sorry to be so vague the heli has so many small parts, its a little confusing the first time.

thanks,
Bill
Old 05-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Doug47

Bill :
There are two different brass spacers where you're working.
There's one on each control arm that's attached to the blade grip found under the mounting/pivot screw that holds it to the blade grip.
One each go in the blade grips themselves.
From inner to outer, with nothing to do with any of the washer/shim/o-ring business the order is bearing-spacer-bearing-bearing.
Doug
Old 05-18-2010, 08:10 AM
bldrums

Doug,
Thats a big help, I didnt see that it could get to complicated to begin with but the
manual diagram can be a little confusing.
The only thing left over is that small block with a hole through it (a rubber o-ring can fit in it.) It fell out when I turned the heli upside down and I dont see another one. I will have to take a closer look after work. Hate it when I finish a repair and .....have left over parts

Thanks ,
BL
Old 05-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Doug47

I'm gonna look for that darn little block. If you fond it first..let me know ! Doug
Old 05-18-2010, 07:08 PM
bldrums

its probably a part left out of my last project !!..........no, my bad terminology, sorry, its more like a cylinder shaped cap , found it to be (007 EFLH1512 Center Hub Cap )

Now , long bolt short bolt...? I have two bolts that go on the spindle / feathering shaft and those are both the same length. Bolt small washer to spindle shaft , slide the step washer on and slide that assembly though both 027 blade grips, I'm with you so far. What lost me was 025 Brass Spacer on the explosion also looks to be on the spindle.
Anyway , those two brass spacers are on ( control arm /mounting pivot screw) ? dont see that but its not important.
Then,
4.Another step washer.
5. 3 shims.
6.Step washer.
7. Both o-rings.
8. 3 shims
9. Step washer.

and bolt the small washer to the spindle / feathering shaft. right? Stand way back and spool up ..slowly....
Old 05-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Doug47

I was describing that incorrectly, I have the end allen bolt and it's washers screwed together just seated making a long bolt (feathering shaft), put all the stuff on and slide it in, then install the other end bolt onto the feathering shaft.
You'l get it , if you have all those things on you'l have no slop and a very smooth running heli/
Old 06-21-2010, 12:29 AM
RCKindaGuy

ORIGINAL: bldrums

its probably a part left out of my last project !!..........no, my bad terminology, sorry, its more like a cylinder shaped cap , found it to be (007 EFLH1512 Center Hub Cap )

Now , long bolt short bolt...? I have two bolts that go on the spindle / feathering shaft and those are both the same length. Bolt small washer to spindle shaft , slide the step washer on and slide that assembly though both 027 blade grips, I'm with you so far. What lost me was 025 Brass Spacer on the explosion also looks to be on the spindle.
Anyway , those two brass spacers are on ( control arm /mounting pivot screw) ? dont see that but its not important.
Then,
4.Another step washer.
5. 3 shims.
6.Step washer.
7. Both o-rings.
8. 3 shims
9. Step washer.

and bolt the small washer to the spindle / feathering shaft. right? Stand way back and spool up ..slowly....
Leave out #6 above as there is no step washer that is adjacent to the rubber O-rings. The correct total sequence from one end of a grip to the other end ofa grip is the following: Note the capitalized headers are identifying what MAINparts the sequenced parts are assoiated to.

GRIP:

1. Socket Head Cap Screw
2. Flat Washer
3. Step Washer
4. Bearing
5. Bearing
6. Brass Spacer
7. Bearing

FEATHERINGSHAFT:

8. Step Washer
9. Shims (3)

CENTERHUB:

10. Rubber O-Ring
11. Rubber O-Ring

FEATHERING SHAFT:

12. Shims (3)
13. Step Washer

GRIP:

14. Bearing
15. Brass Spacer
16. Bearing
17. Bearing
18. Step Washer
19. Flat Washer
20. Socket Head Cap Screw

I disaasemble and reassemble the rotor after every RCouting Iattend. Ihave done this so many times Ican do it in my sleep. But Iwill admit the very first time Idid it the explosive diagram for the SR just didn't help me at all. The diagram for whatever reason (space maybe) assumes the far side grip assembly so you can be left with the impression that the two grips are assembled differently in parts sequence. Another thing wrong with the exploded diagram is that they left out the pointers as to where exactly in the main part the sub-parts are located at. That is why in my sequence list above Ilist in capitalized letters what the main parts are and what sub-parts are assembled to each of the main parts respectively.

Ihope this helps and clears up the diagram and some of the preceding posts.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:41 AM
bldrums

Absoultely , its a great help for sure.

thanks,

BL