Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

DX6i with a CP Pro2 = destruction

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

DX6i with a CP Pro2 = destruction

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:50 PM
patryn
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX6i with a CP Pro2 = destruction

I have a post in the beginner section on my issue, but it was suggested I post in here. I need a quick list of settings to start with on a DX6i with a CP Pro2. I followed another post on which switches to reverse, but it didn't seem to work.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: DX6i with a CP Pro2 = destruction

Hi again,

Just to help, can you list the settings you have already in your DX6. Start with swash settings and go from there.

Also, have you had the chance to look over your heli to see what needs replacing? The CPP2 are very sturdy and can take a beating.

Mark
Old 03-19-2010, 11:27 PM
patryn

After coming out of the fetal position, here's the list visual inspection gave.

Main shaft and drive gear. It took some teeth on the the initial impact with the dresser.

Center hub and spindle set. I don't even know where part of it is at the moment.

Luckily I already had carbon blades to go on it. I was waiting until I had some more successful outdoor flights and had better idea of control in wind gusts.

Radio settings are all stock except for the reversing the aileron, rudder, and elevator. Swash typeis set to ccpm.

The body wasn't on it at the time,but here's the aftermath.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Aframomum

Looks bad, but most heli crashes don't look all that great.

Good idea on leaving off the canopy and CF blades until you have things setup correctly - less items to replace.

You are going to need to disassemble the head to check the spindle (feathering shaft), just to make sure its not bent. Make sure to roll it on a glass surface just to be certain it is perfectly straight. Otherwise, a slightly bent shaft will cause the whole head to wobble when you spool it up.

Did any of the plastic ball links get broken in the crash? Did the flybar get bent in the crash (doesn't look bent from the picture)?

Do you have any parts on hand right now or is a trip to the LHS in the future?

Lastly, is this the bind and fly version and the first flight?

Mark
Old 03-20-2010, 12:16 AM
patryn

It's the second paddle control frame on there and I have another in que. This one didn't break, just tossed off the paddle control frame pushrods. The flybar has been slightly bent a couple of times and I've just straightened it back out. The canopy was off as I was trying to figure out the intermittent tail rotor problem it started having a couple of days ago. i was about 3 minutes into a typical night of hovering practice in the bedroom when the tail rotor just decided it didn't want to play ball anymore.

Theheli is an RTF and I've flown it numerous times now including 3 outdoor flights. It's had a few benders, but nothing major. All were just close to the ground flips where I throttled out before impact (thank you mSR training). I'm not sure about the spindle, but it'll be replaced when the new one gets here. What's annoying is that I was getting ready to send it in for possible warranty work on the tail rotor issue. But I thought maybe it was the stockradio so I'd just try binding it to the newone and see if it fixed it. If not, no biggie. Oops.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Solman

I have a CPP2 as well and have been working on trying to get it squared away with my DX6I radio as well. I can't seem to get the settings down enough to fly. I am getting way too much pitch and with my stock AR6100 receiver, it would go crazy every time I plugged it in while bound to the DX6I radio. I got the 6110 now, but I sent Horizon an email asking for good settings. I really don't want to go back to the old transmitter. BTW, if you are having the problems as I am, your head speed is way too low for the pitch and causes bad things to happen.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:32 PM
patryn

I haven't even made it that far. I'm still just trying to get servos correct. With the reversing settings I got off here, everything seem right but forward and backward yaw. If I pull the stick left, the left side will drop. Same with the right. However if I push the stick forward, it raises the front of the swashplate insttead of lowering it. I feel like I'm trying to solve a Rubik's cube. I just took another look over the carnage and the rotor head is split as well.

So now I need a rotor head, and a 2 in1 unit as I think that is the culprit to my tail rotor being amiss. I pulled what was left of the blades to check the tail rotor with everything active and nada. I hot linked the battery to the leads on the tail rotor and it spun up, so I'm thinking it's not a tail motor issue. I can tell you I'm pretty damn pissed though. It's beautiful outside and would have been my first time out when it was 50* or lower. I'm going to email them as well about DX6i settings. I'm sick of beating my head against the wall.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Solman

BTW, yaw is your rudder. Reversing the elevator is easy. It isn't in the reverse page to fix it. I can look at my remote and help you get started. My only problem is dealing with the blade pitch. It is moving way too much and too soon. Luckily it isn't my only bird, so I can play with it in the mean time. I am also going to switch it over to the Huey body.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:49 PM
patryn

Poor choice of words. I meant pitch rather than yaw. Knowing that the setting isn't in the switches will help me prod around. My servos are also buzzing when the throttle switch is in the upper most position. Which area do I dial that in at? Sub trim?
Old 03-20-2010, 04:50 PM
choppersrule

Hey Fellas,

Here's the setting you need to get the DX6i going with the Pro 2... It's a starting point, some of the pitch curves and throttle curves are a personal preference.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1020594

Dave
Old 03-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Solman

I got it programmed in and I am going to give it a try. Thanks. BTW, some of the servo settings didn't match mine and my servo's all operate in the right direction. I am hoping the expo's will do the trick though.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:55 PM
choppersrule

Solman,

Not all servos, by brand name, turn the same direction. That may be why the settings are different. The Expos will tame down your right stick. I remember you saying that your pitch is way to much, which is your left stick. That can be corrected in the "Swash Mix" in your TX. Just lower the "Pitch" value closer to "Zero". It could be a + or - now, but just go closer to "Zero", maybe 5 at a time, until you get it where you want.

Dave
ORIGINAL: Solman

I got it programmed in and I am going to give it a try. Thanks. BTW, some of the servo settings didn't match mine and my servo's all operate in the right direction. I am hoping the expo's will do the trick though.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Solman

I took it out for a test flight. It wasn't the greatest, but it at least got me started in the right direction and I can get it off the ground now.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Aframomum

Hi patryn,

How are things with you today?

Sounds like right now you really need to get your swash set up with your DX6i so that all the stick inputs will respond properly. (You'll need a straight main shaft and swash only for this) You don't need to mess with the trims on the radio itself yet, actually you need to reset all trims (that includes subtrim) to zero.

Next, you need to set your 3 cyclic servo's so that they are at a 90* position at midstick, that is, at 50% pitch the servo arm is 90 degrees to the servo. Most of the time this will be set by the factory - you are just double checking it. This is where you will use the subtrim setting in your radio to adjust the elevator, aerilon, and pitch servo arm position. BTW, unplug the main and tail motor from the ESC b/c they will spin up when you move the throttle stick to half-way.

After you have the servo arms at 90*, come back and we'll move on to the swash itself.

Mark
Old 03-20-2010, 11:08 PM
patryn

Good link! My stick now makes things go in the right direction. Now if only I could actually fly the damn thing.... Guess it's time to figure out what settings to use to get the mSR handling a little quicker.

Alright, my front servo is a little low, the left is about 90, and the right is sitting high.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:53 AM
Aframomum

That's good to hear.

Now, you'll need to go into the subtrim menu on your DX6i and work on the following: aerilon, pitch, and elevator. Mess around with the setting until you have all 3 servo's at 90. This way your swash will be level and at midstick your pitch will be 0.

You may not fully understand now but setting it up correctly in the beginning will make the heli more stable and not tend to drift around in a hover. The extra attention now will pay off later in flight.

Mark
Old 03-21-2010, 11:15 AM
patryn

What's the magic behind the swashplate settings?
Old 03-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Solman

Abra Cadabra!!!
Old 03-21-2010, 02:42 PM
patryn

I used someone else's genie. Hahaha. Im curious to figure out how to do it myself though. One less thing to bite me. I have all three servos level, but I had to adjust the rod on one to get the swash plate looking farely flat. Any easy way to check the level on it?
Old 03-21-2010, 06:17 PM
choppersrule

There is a swash plate leveling tool, many use it. However, just eyeballing it can get it pretty darn close. The leveling tool is the easiest and most accurate, but still takes time to get the links adjusted properly.

http://www.xheli.com/t450v2bl400s.html

ORIGINAL: patryn

I used someone else's genie. Hahaha. Im curious to figure out how to do it myself though. One less thing to bite me. I have all three servos level, but I had to adjust the rod on one to get the swash plate looking farely flat. Any easy way to check the level on it?
Old 03-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Aframomum

For a CPP2 I just eyeball the swash and get it as close to level as possible.

If you don't mind waiting for a leveling tool then ordering one will give you more precise settings.

Oh, BTW...I heard if you mix swash settings with a bit of pixie dust you can create rain somewhere in Vietnam.

Mark
Old 03-21-2010, 10:13 PM
choppersrule

Mark,

You have just PISSED off, one Vietnam Veteran. I have spent alot of years of my life, in the military and 1 1/2 years in Vietnam to serve our country. Can you say that?

I do my best to help others, sometimes I may be wrong sometimes, in this hobby, I'm not an expert by any means.

You are now on your own.... Take your Pixie Dust and shove it.....

Dave

ORIGINAL: Aframomum

Oh, BTW...I heard if you mix swash settings with a bit of pixie dust you can create rain somewhere in Vietnam.

Mark
Old 03-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Aframomum

Sorry Dave, but not going to do this in the public area. PM sent to you.

Mark
Old 03-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Solman

ORIGINAL: choppersrule

Mark,

You have just PISSED off, one Vietnam Veteran. I have spent alot of years of my life, in the military and 1 1/2 years in Vietnam to serve our country. Can you say that?

I do my best to help others, sometimes I may be wrong sometimes, in this hobby, I'm not an expert by any means.

Dave

Mark
I am sure that no harm was meant. How the heck would he know that you are a vietnam vet. On a side note, I am not sure how this is an insult as well. The war is over, get over it and before you yell at me, I have 21 years military service and still counting.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:06 PM
choppersrule

Solman,

I certainly appreciate all your years of service, bar none. I'm sure too, that Marks comments were not to insult anyone. However, somethings that you see in war time is not easy to get over, ever. I won't go into details on this forum. PM me if you wish. Have you ever been in combat???

Dave

ORIGINAL: Solman

ORIGINAL: choppersrule

Mark,

Dave

Mark
I am sure that no harm was meant. How the heck would he know that you are a vietnam vet. On a side note, I am not sure how this is an insult as well. The war is over, get over it and before you yell at me, I have 21 years military service and still counting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.