Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

CX2 Failsafe Not Working

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

CX2 Failsafe Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:49 PM
gdavis9999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CX2 Failsafe Not Working

The CX2 is bound to the transmitter properly, and set to throttle off position.

For failsafe testing, when I turn off the transmitter, the failsafe will not return to zero throttle. Instead, the throttle stays in the last position.

The manual says the throttle should return to it's failsafe position (set during binding) if the radio connection is lost.

Please let me know if your CX2 does the same.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CX2 Failsafe Not Working

The chances for me turning off my transmitter on any airplane in flight are right down there between zero and never!
There is no rational reason to do this.
I recently had my DX-7 transmitter lose everything while it was on, going to "BACKUP ERROR", and the plane had the throttle go to idle, and the surfaces to trim, but.. this happened right -after- landing, so no harm was done.
I did test the "range check" feature on my DX-6 when I first got it, just to see how far the range, in the air, was, and what would happen.
But turn off the transmitter? Never!
Old 03-27-2010, 01:14 PM
gdavis9999

You missed the point. Turning the off transmitter is a test.

Anyone out there with the CX2, try the same test and let me know if your binding position throttle failsafe kicks in.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see no point to doing this.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:51 AM
AH-64_d

gdavis9999,

I got a firm grip on my CX2, thought a bit about how to unplug its battery if it did not throttle back when I turned off my transmiter, and gave it a go - Throttled up while holding it and then turned off the transmitter. The CX2 immediately went into failsafe and throttled down. Sounds like yours is busted if it fails to go into failsafe. Best wishes for a prompt reapir.

AH-64 d
Old 03-28-2010, 12:51 PM
gdavis9999

ORIGINAL: AH-64_d

gdavis9999,

I got a firm grip on my CX2, thought a bit about how to unplug its battery if it did not throttle back when I turned off my transmiter, and gave it a go - Throttled up while holding it and then turned off the transmitter. The CX2 immediately went into failsafe and throttled down. Sounds like yours is busted if it fails to go into failsafe. Best wishes for a prompt reapir.

AH-64 d
AH-64_d: Thanks for checking this. I know there are several firmware versions for his receiver, and I have the latest. So perhaps it is defective.
Tall Paul: perhaps there is a misunderstanding. We are simulating LOS (loss of signal) or an out of range condition by turning off the transmitter. This is only a test. You could do the same by walking far enough away from the model to loss signal. It's just easier to turn it off off the transmitter (under contolled conditions) to test the failsafe functions. This, of course, would never be done during normal operation of the model. I modifed my original post to make that more clear. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:00 PM
gdavis9999

Was at the hobby store today. Tested an older CX2 which they use as a demo. It does fail-safe the throttle (when you turn off the TX the throttle goes to zero). It also takes bringing the throttle to zero on the TX when you turn it back on to re-arm the ESC in the 3-in-1 unit.

Anyway, we tested the Spectrum receiver using a battery connected directly the receiver and a servo connected directly to the throttle port (this bypasses the 3-in-1 controller).

Guess what? The fail-safe on the receiver is working. So the failsafe not working on this heli is is a function of the 3-in-1 unit.

We think they are now making them this way, but they have not updated the documentation. It makes sense, because with a heli you do not want a momentary glitch to cause the motor to shut down (and have the heli fall to the ground).

The problem with this is that if you fly too high or out of range, and your throttle setting is high, the heli will continue to climb.
So fly withing range!