Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Blade SR / Channel 5 and the "Yellow Wire"

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade SR / Channel 5 and the "Yellow Wire"

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 05:13 PM
c9403
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Blade SR / Channel 5 and the

Well, my new tail motor and a tail boom arrived in the mail Saturday. It is now Sunday evening around 5pm. After dinner, I am going to mount up the new tail motor and boom and see what happens. Iam going to check my feathering shaft and main shaft also while I am under the hood!!

Hope to post an update later saying it was simply the tail motor.

Once Iget her working again, I am simply going to control the Gyro gain via the pot. Now that Iknow you don't have to power down, it should be easier to find the gyro setting I am looking for for steady, non twitchy flight.

I am already thinking ahead, if it is just the tail motor, the stock motor did not last long. Imay be looking for alternatives to that motor or just get really good at changing them out.

Chris
Old 04-18-2010, 10:37 PM
c9403
My Feedback: (1)

TADA!

Fixed. Got my tool kit out and soldered in a new tail motor and put on a new tail boom.

After about 1/2 a battery pack, Ihad the gyro and the proportional adjusted back to where they belong. Afew trim adjustments and she was good to go. I was hovering in my kitchen, a huge accomplishment for me to fly a larger heli in a small space.

So here are my observations as Iexamined my old tail motor.

When the heli was brand new, the tail motor would make that buzzing / grinding noise that everyone complains about. Once it quit holding the nose, it no longer made that sound. The new motor is very quiet and has a manufacture date about one month after the original one put in by the factory.

When the heli was new, the tail rotor would begin spinning up as soon as the main blades began to spin or shortly after. As it went out, it would not start up until much later and was weak in power.

The heat sink is easy to reuse for the tail motor. It is not glued on and simply pops off and goes on the new tail motor.

So, here are my theories for why the motor went out after about 20 flights:

1. Bad motor, stuff happens.

2. Crash damage???Maybe the tail struck something and caused a slight bend in the motor shaft that wore out the motor.

3. While trying to plug in the infamous yellow wire, Iplugged it into the wrong port and/or wrong polarity and fried the motor.

So, I hope someone else can learn from my mistake.I believe that you can adjust the gyro gain remotely with the stock transmitter, but for me, the pot on the gyro will do fine. Still searching for that perfect setting where the twitch almost disappears, but you have good control.Not sure it exists with a non-belt driven tail, but I will try to get closer.

For anyone else who wants to try, I would suggest that someone put it in plain english as to how to do it. In other words, take the yellow wire, plug it into the 5th pin from the left and make sure the yellow wire is on the bottom. Then, in using the Channel 5 knob, you get xxxxx.

Chris
Old 04-07-2011, 09:37 AM
SalemRich
Banned

Chris looking at the Blade SR from the back, towhich male plug does the yellow female plug attach? There is one empty at the left side and one empty at the second from right. Which is it? Also, I had the same issue with my tail motor coming on full blast, but discovered it was because the SR was not properly bound. Do you think the buzzing sound the tail rotor makes is a defect since your new one doesn't make that noise?