RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   E-Flite Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/)
-   -   DX6i version of the Blade 450 RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/10803755-dx6i-version-blade-450-rtf.html)

aircrash 11-08-2011 11:50 PM

DX6i version of the Blade 450 RTF

Hello, does anyone know if the supplied DX6i Transmitter of the E-flite Blade 450 RTF ( EFBLH1600 ) is the real thing?
I mean is the same model that sold individualy and has all the features?
Can it be bound to any (spectrum) DSMX receiver?
And is there any cheap compatible receiver, even an aftermarket one?

Thank you.

invertedthoughts 11-08-2011 11:52 PM

RE: DX6i version of the Blade 450 RTF

I can only speak for the Blade 400 as that is what I have but yes, it's absolutely the full-blown DX6I, Horizon wouldn't put a knock off in the box me don't thinks. :D

Yes it will bind to all the other Spektrum/JR stuff too!

Don't know about the cheap receivers, sorry.

Doug47 11-09-2011 03:38 AM

I've had/have three of these things and each has been flawless. So have a lot of people, a heck of a sweet deal :
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dproduct=11965
The one and only difference between a DX6i that came with your heli and one sold separately is the one that came with the heli has one of the channels set-up for a Balde 400/450 already,and that's it. Doug

aircrash 11-09-2011 04:16 AM

I have to thank you both.
Doug very valuable info.
I could go for such a radio and it is easier to do so if I take advantage of the nice price of the combo (Blade + radio).
More enough it is much easier to go for it if I could have two cheap receivers, as I want this radio for two other birds I have.
It is all about money. Nice hobby but quite aggressive on money.

New info is welcomed. Please add anything about it.

Doug47 11-09-2011 07:13 AM

The Blade 450 with the DX6I and training gear is, just like the Blade 400 that came before it just about the best choice you could've made. The parts are cheap and available, the heli set up correctly is a super flyer and very forgiving.
Check out www.rchelicopterfun.com, there's a whole section in it that describes in detail the proper set-up,using a Blade 400 (the info is the same exactly for the 450) for your very first flights.
If you follow his set-up you will save a lot of money :). Doug

invertedthoughts 11-09-2011 08:50 AM

Some good tips and resources is in my thread title: Blade 400 a little wobbly toward end of pack.

Has some of my learning curve stuff in it! And great input by JPEE, a very helpful member here.

StoneDeaf 11-10-2011 07:35 AM

Doug, where on that site did you find the proper set-up for the 400 that he talks about? In one of his ebooks or on his webpage?

Doug47 11-10-2011 08:06 AM

Sure, it's in the excellent "r/c heli controls and set-up" e-book.
If you follow his suggestions you'll be shocked at how mellow it is to fly. It has the 'learning to hover' control throws, percentages and expo, pitch annd throttle curves.Then a little more for when you start to do figure 8's, a little more when you get to fast forward flight.
You'll get some dopes saying "Oh, just go at , like, 100 percent everywhere because if you wannna be EXTREME (hurl) like me you gotta get used to it anyway". Only go with that when Dr. EXTREME:eek: says he'll buy all your parts :).
These initial throws are in the vicinity of the 60 percent range, but I can vouch for them working awesome, as is that set-up book. It's a great book to have.
Doug
PS-I helped another new flier with a Blade 450 and we used the same settings and it worked just as sweet. The only difference is the new gyro is worlds better than the 400's so it's even easier to fly. Same outcome using them on a MiniTitan.
PPS-A swashplate leveler specific to your heli only cost a few bucks, and/or John describes how to make one. A lot of folks say they don't need them and that's great. However, set up with a swashplate leveler your heli will lift off dead straight, won't be having a go at your knees, etc.

StoneDeaf 11-10-2011 08:35 AM

Thanks Doug, I already bought the ebook from him for the msr and 120sr. If I read your post right, he has Dx6i settings for beginners to practice and then after you get good at that, there are advanced settings in the book to program into the dx6i so you can do more with the 450? The ebook for the msr 120sr did give computerized settings beginners with the 120sr and then more advanced settings after that. Just making sure I read yours right. Thanks!

Doug47 11-10-2011 12:08 PM

Yes, you've got it right. Doug

aircrash 11-10-2011 12:37 PM

Thank you for the valuable info, especially Doug.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif

I ordered one so I will have a DX6i DSMX and a Blade 450. The later was not in my intentions but why not, the combo price makes it very tempting.
Nice combo I could say. And a nice looking heli for sure.
I got some spare parts also, those I thought they will be disposable in a crash. I hope I was guessing right.

I also ordered some compatible receivers so to install on my Belt-CP V2, Belt-CPX and on a T-REX clone. Just the receiver, no satellite receiver.
Will I be OK with?
Now I will have quite a few heli to test my flight skills.
The best for me will be the one that will be easier to fly, as that`s I`m concerned on and not in 3D -of course. Although it would be nice one day to 3D no hands. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

Doug nice info about the swashplate leveler. Although I`m a beginner at CP helis I have read about them a bit and the swashplate leveler was one thing that got my attention as Iunderstood that this is a must so to make flying not only easy for a beginner but right to the setup for anyone.
Glad to see it is that important as Ithought.
If you have more tips then keep it coming.

Thanks again,
Spiros

invertedthoughts 11-10-2011 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: aircrash

Thank you for the valuable info, especially Doug.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif

I ordered one so I will have a DX6i DSMX and a Blade 450. The later was not in my intentions but why not, the combo price makes it very tempting.
Nice combo I could say. And a nice looking heli for sure.
I got some spare parts also, those I thought they will be disposable in a crash. I hope I was guessing right.

I also ordered some compatible receivers so to install on my Belt-CP V2, Belt-CPX and on a T-REX clone. Just the receiver, no satellite receiver.
Will I be OK with?
Now I will have quite a few heli to test my flight skills.
The best for me will be the one that will be easier to fly, as that`s I`m concerned on and not in 3D -of course. Although it would be nice one day to 3D no hands. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

Doug nice info about the swashplate leveler. Although I`m a beginner at CP helis I have read about them a bit and the swashplate leveler was one thing that got my attention as Iunderstood that this is a must so to make flying not only easy for a beginner but right to the setup for anyone.
Glad to see it is that important as Ithought.
If you have more tips then keep it coming.

Thanks again,
Spiros

Nice buy!!!

You don't need the satellite recievers with the Spektrum brand on helicopters, the Blade 400 comes with the SPektrum 6000 reciever with no satellite, it's considered a "park flyer"reciever without maximum range that you get with the satellite recievers. You don't need it with helicopters like you do larger planes and gliders for instance. You will be fine unless there is something drastically different about the brand you bought, but I doubt it.

aircrash 11-10-2011 08:00 PM

Thank you inverted !

All I need is time Ithink and any useful help I can find here.

aircrash 11-30-2011 10:16 AM

So Igot the Blade 450 RTF.
It looks nice and the DX6i quite right.
Ihave not flown it yet though.
I set the DX6i for a 450 clone along with a 6ch OrangeRX receiver.

A few things that did not liked.
The RTFshould have a wall power supply for the li-po charger.
At least it should mention what amp rating is the minimum required for the supplied li-po charger. It does not mention and this seems neglected. Of course I`ll use a higher than 1.8amp wall power supply as Iknow it must be this high.
The manual also should mention a few things about the Rx connections and generally how things are installed and operating (eg which way the blades are installed, <strike>which way the motor and rotor spins</strike>, etc). They have neglected this part also.
Well, some are mentioned but some are not. That is what I actually mean, that some parts are missing.

I certainly did not liked the 14mm diameter tail boom. This makes availability of parts difficult. And this is not a big deal now that spare parts are available, but a huge drawback after a couple of years that availability may come nill.
For instance Ihave bought a spare frame for future use. But now I see that Ihave to buy some booms also.

The li-po charger charges the battery at the low charging state of only 4.14V. Pretty useless, although it looks like a sophisticated charger.

I liked the videos though.

Overall Ilike it though and it seems a nice piece of machinery.
I`m happy Iwent with this 450 CP bird and radio combo.
Ihope I have the same opinion, and a beter one, after flying it.

Spiros

invertedthoughts 12-01-2011 12:27 AM

Can't wait to hear the maiden report!

Doug47 12-03-2011 03:35 AM

Congrats aircrash, you're going to have a whole lot of fun.
Don't sweat that tailboom size. It's more rugged and a batter platform for what it's duties are,and parts like that'll be available for years.
Now that you've been drawn into the cult you're going to want a good charger anyway, there's a bunch of good ones.. The ones Great Planes sell (Tritons)have a super dependability reputation. They'll allow you to charge your lipos at twice or more of the 'standard' rate with no damage to your batteries whatsoever as long as they are clearly advertised (The "c" rate) as being able to handle that.
Let us know how it's going.
Look what you've done: You have a radio that'll fly just about any heli or airplane made. You've got a first rate heli, widely available customer support and parts. You're going into this the right way.
Note those Blade 400/450 settings, specifically for those helis with your very radio on www.rchelicopterfun.com. They will give you a heli as stable as anything ever made with collective pitch, prety darn immpressive,and wil alllow you time to learn. Doug

aircrash 12-03-2011 04:39 AM

Thank you Doug.

I agree, the tail boom must be a lot more rigid than the smaller diameter ones and the other should have such a tail boom than the Blade 450 a smaller one.
It happens to have availability on parts even in my country. So this is an added extra for the Blade 450.
What I`m afraid though is the future availability as I plan to keep it for many years cause that Ihave other helis too and cause I have not much free time. But I think you must be right, I should not be afraid of the future availability.
Well, Ihave already bought some spare parts to have in my hands, including a frame.

As for the charger I charged a Dualsky 2100mAh 30C - 5C charging with a charger I have at 1H or so, at a final 4.20V @all cells. So I`m happy with it.
Ihave four such chargers so battery charging is OK.
I just found the stock charger to be too much on the safe side. It could make a final charge state of 4.18V or at least 4.16V and still be on the safe side.

I made a first attempt with the DX6i on a 450 clone. It really made the set up for that heli a lot easier and Ithink it will be very useful to my Belt-CP V2 which with the complicated servo to swashplate design it is too difficult to set it up only mechanically, without the use of electronic help out of the Tx.

Ithink money were well spent on this. Even the box is nice and Ican get away with it, no buying an alu case at the moment.
Thanks for the links.

Spiros