RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   E-Flite Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/)
-   -   E Flite Gyro - Headache Prone (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/11643631-e-flite-gyro-headache-prone.html)

murcielago 12-17-2017 10:36 AM

E Flite Gyro - Headache Prone

2 Attachment(s)
So, Im used to flying with good gyros in 5e past (i.e. Futaba GYs). Recently, I got some good deals on a few E Flite Blade helicopters and I have been working on getting them air worthy again.

Finally got the SR BSR ready to go. First flight I had to ever endlessly tweak the gain and Tx remote to get the tail to stop wagging and not doing a crazy spin brakedance move. It finally kept the tail locked with minimal wag. Recharged the battery and left the settings exaclty the same. This time while from a nice easy hover to a fast forward flight, well it spun like a yo-yo and had to use my jedi skills to softly crash it. Now, i need more parts.

I decided to build the goold old turntable trick so that once I re-re-build it, I can work the bugs out. Im actually going to toss the ES/Gain controller and use a regular ESC with a better gyro. However, my B400 (almost done), will use the original ESC and gyro. My theory is to run the tail without the gyro and adjust the gain as good as possible and then install the gyro and further tweak from there. I would say screw it and get a real gyro, but not giving up on the E Flite since Ive seen perfectly flying helos with their stock hardware.

Being that the GY240 are costly, I would like to try a chinese gyro called GY48V for less than 20 bucks. Im assuming it is a clone of the Futaba GY. Anyone here try it?

Im also goint to get an ORX flight stabilizer to try on another project. Its a three axis gyro that may be interesting, especially to teach folk how to hover.

Here is my turntable rig. Used servo control arms for skid locking arms. I bought the table for 5 bucks at a garage sale and it is a really nice heavy table. It must have been the real poop back in the day.

Prohack01 01-12-2018 10:58 AM

Hi,
I replaced the stock eflite crap on my blade cp pro2 with a GY48V, im running the sr pro brushless motor on it, so its similar to your model... also I added a GY48V to an rc car i have on the steering channel to add stability at high speed, they are working well for me and were pretty cheap as you mentioned. I had the same idea with the RX and 3 axis stab, I bought an orange however it did not work well, another member of my club also had issues using orange stab on a foamie. We ended up buying LemonRX stabilized RX's and they are working great. Havent seen a TT rig before, cool idea.
Here is a vid of my LMH 110 w/ the LemonRx

Note, I am a beginner heli flyer, so while it may work ok for me, that gyro may not perform well for 3d, I cannot say as I am not that advance at flying yet..