RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   E-Flite Helicopters (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/)
-   -   Who's put HiTec HS65MG servos on their Blade 400? (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/6965400-whos-put-hitec-hs65mg-servos-their-blade-400-a.html)

Torquestar 01-24-2008 10:49 PM

Who's put HiTec HS65MG servos on their Blade 400?

I just mounted 3 of these servos on my Blade 400. Now comes the hard part... I have to figure out the proper linkage lengths using the servo horns that come with the servos, as the stock horns don't fit the larger metal spline of the new servo.

Also, the servo seems to stick out a bit more than stock, which leads me to believe that I'll want to mount the ball link on the back side of each horn to sort of bring it back into line similar to stock?

Lastly, since the linkage lengths/positions aren't going to be exactly like the stock servos, am I going to have to change anything in the TX to make sure they all mix properly? For instance, I can see how if all 3 aren't in perfect sync, they won't raise/lower the swashplate evenly.

For those that have made the switch to these servos, what did you do to make them work properly?

Magook 01-25-2008 09:35 AM

RE: Who's put HiTec HS65MG servos on their Blade 400?

I changed all 3 servos to a JR MG servos - I put the balls for the horns on the inside of the horn to off-set the spacing of the servo.

You have to adjust the Sub Trim to get the swash level at neutral position - then adjust the Travel ADJ to make the swash level at WOT. I had to play with the ELEV a little to get it level at all positions. Not sure if this is the correct way, but it worked for me.

Torquestar 01-25-2008 10:20 AM

I also seemed to have to reverse all the SWASH MIX numbers to the opposite of what they were, because all the servos seemed to operate backwards of what they were... and if I tried to reverse the servo in the REVERSE menu, it wasn't properly mixing/syncing with movement from the other servos...

Now my only issue is the one you seemed to have... It seems that the ELEV servo near the end of the stroke has a little more movement than the 2 other cyclic servos. So the whole swash travels up in sync when the stick goes down, but then when it reaches the end of the stroke it tilts the swash backwards. I need to look in the TX documentation to see if I can limit the travel of the ELEV servo, since it seems to be in sync and level in all other positions.

Now I just need a pitch gauge to make sure I'm running the right pitch at the proper stick points.

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Magook

I changed all 3 servos to a JR MG servos - I put the balls for the horns on the inside of the horn to off-set the spacing of the servo.

You have to adjust the Sub Trim to get the swash level at neutral position - then adjust the Travel ADJ to make the swash level at WOT. I had to play with the ELEV a little to get it level at all positions. Not sure if this is the correct way, but it worked for me.

BryFlyGuy67 01-25-2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Torquestar

I also seemed to have to reverse all the SWASH MIX numbers to the opposite of what they were, because all the servos seemed to operate backwards of what they were... and if I tried to reverse the servo in the REVERSE menu, it wasn't properly mixing/syncing with movement from the other servos...

Now my only issue is the one you seemed to have... It seems that the ELEV servo near the end of the stroke has a little more movement than the 2 other cyclic servos. So the whole swash travels up in sync when the stick goes down, but then when it reaches the end of the stroke it tilts the swash backwards. I need to look in the TX documentation to see if I can limit the travel of the ELEV servo, since it seems to be in sync and level in all other positions.

Now I just need a pitch gauge to make sure I'm running the right pitch at the proper stick points.

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Magook

Why aren't you using stock E-Flite parts? If you were going to upgrade to HS65's, why not just buy a TREX or one of it's less-expensive clones?

I suppose I shouldn't talk seeing as how much $$ I have put into my CX2's!! :)