RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   E-Flite Helicopters (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/)
-   -   Blade 400 Grips / Spindle / Thrust Brg tips (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/7069437-blade-400-grips-spindle-thrust-brg-tips.html)

bluercpilot 02-13-2008 12:45 PM

Blade 400 Grips / Spindle / Thrust Brg tips

Hi Everybody,
Just rebuilt the head on my 400. I learned several things:

1. The thrust bearing is shown as a single piece in the exploded parts diagram (EPD). It is actually three parts (most thrust bearings are). There are two convex washers and a bearing race. Two important tips here. First, the inside diameter of the two washers different. When reassembling, make sure you put the washer with the larger ID closest to the head. You can tell the difference by putting the washers on the spindle, holding them at the top and bottom and noting the amount of "wobble" along the spindle length. The second important tip is to put the open face of the bearing race towards the center of the head. This will keep the grease (which you should pack in the bearing) from being spun out by the centrifugal force of the spinning head. The open face is the one which has the balls most exposed.
2. The shims are not depicted in the EPD. The go between the O-Ring and the Step Washer (see page 40 of the manual). There are four shims in the stock head. Make sure you use an equal number on each side.
3. The step on the step washer faces the bearing in the grip holder (step towards the outside of the head).
4. Check the O-Rings for wear. O worn or torn O-Ring will make your heli unstable. If you have a lot of slop in your head this is the first place to look.

When you are all done with the reassembly, you should not be able to move the grips side to side in the head. This is a fairly tight assembly along the length of the head when properly assembled.

I had to call Horizon to verify some of the reassembly steps and they were very helpful. This post is based on that conversation with their tech and my person experience.

wsdepa 02-13-2008 05:33 PM

RE: Blade 400 Grips / Spindle / Thrust Brg tips

This was a great post. Much better than my explanation on another recent thread.

Torquestar 02-13-2008 07:39 PM

RE: Blade 400 Grips / Spindle / Thrust Brg tips

Any idea what the o-ring size is for the dampeners?

I wouldn't mind ordering a bag of them, as I'm pretty sure they're likely a standard metric size. I'd rather not pay a few bucks for a couple if I can help it.

Besides, once we know the o-ring size, we can get different durometer (hardness) to stiffen things up a bit I'm guessing.

Quote:

ORIGINAL: bluercpilot

Hi Everybody,
Just rebuilt the head on my 400. I learned several things:

1. The thrust bearing is shown as a single piece in the exploded parts diagram (EPD). It is actually three parts (most thrust bearings are). There are two convex washers and a bearing race. Two important tips here. First, the inside diameter of the two washers different. When reassembling, make sure you put the washer with the larger ID closest to the head. You can tell the difference by putting the washers on the spindle, holding them at the top and bottom and noting the amount of "wobble" along the spindle length. The second important tip is to put the open face of the bearing race towards the center of the head. This will keep the grease (which you should pack in the bearing) from being spun out by the centrifugal force of the spinning head. The open face is the one which has the balls most exposed.
2. The shims are not depicted in the EPD. The go between the O-Ring and the Step Washer (see page 40 of the manual). There are four shims in the stock head. Make sure you use an equal number on each side.
3. The step on the step washer faces the bearing in the grip holder (step towards the outside of the head).
4. Check the O-Rings for wear. O worn or torn O-Ring will make your heli unstable. If you have a lot of slop in your head this is the first place to look.

When you are all done with the reassembly, you should not be able to move the grips side to side in the head. This is a fairly tight assembly along the length of the head when properly assembled.

I had to call Horizon to verify some of the reassembly steps and they were very helpful. This post is based on that conversation with their tech and my person experience.