RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   E-Flite Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/)
-   -   are these blades any good for cp pro? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/7669097-these-blades-any-good-cp-pro.html)

rotarydoc 11-07-2008 09:44 PM

RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

JPEE,

Thanks! I think I'm gonna love it...from everything I have read, it is going to be awesome!

You hit the nail on the head, I got the see saw arms for the B400, and the TINY screws are in there, I wasn't sure at first!!

I am going to TRY to finish that rebuild before I get too wrapped up with the new heli build....I hate having broken helis laying around...LOL!!

Glenn

rotarydoc 11-07-2008 09:47 PM

Heli,

101 pages and counting...LOL!

Jeff,

I just thought about something..I'll be skipping the tail belt and tail gearbox vids on HF, because I will have the shaft/torque tube tail...

What are your thoughts on the tail servo? I am pretty much sold on the smaller servos...any preference from Futaba to JR?

I know I LOVE my JR DS 285's....so I am leaning in that direction...plus they'll run fine on 6 volts as well....wouldn't need the regulator...

Glenn

rotarydoc 11-07-2008 09:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jeff,

You mentioned cleaning up the work table...not a bad idea...LMAO!!

I gotta try to finish the B400 rebuild... or it may NEVER get done once I start the Rex build!!

Here's the connectors too...

Glenn

J-MICHAEL 11-07-2008 10:04 PM

Glenn ~

That's cool Heli-Direct has the Rex 500 ESP now... I'am usually on there site daily, and I have never seen it there before ! Of course I also saw tonight they have the Trex 250 now also... As a matter of fact, both those heli's were not there last night... So I did have to browse for the ESP canopy, but didn't see it... In time I bet though when they get them in stock I imagine...

Yeah the servos are a toss-up huh ? Beings that I ran also the JR DS285's in my Trex 450 for about 8 months before putting in the HS-65MG's for a test run in which they still sit today, I have to say I like them both... But if I was to do it over I think I prefer the JR's better... But I never have ran a JR servo on the rear yet, so I couldn't tell ya there... I would go with the JR if it was me... But just my personal opinion...;) I don't think there would be anything wrong in running the JR with the GY401... I remeber someone saying something about that awhile ago on the Trex forum on not doing that, but that was one person, and I've never came across anything like that ever in all my browsing anywhere... Nick is your best bet for any info... He browses pretty hard in all departments also...

So you'll have to tell me how many of the screws or fasteners ya strip out putting it together....LMAO...:D I was planning on getting replacements tomorrow... I didn't want to take a chance... But then again I could start tonight....Dang it....LOL... Now you motivated me on putting it together ! Yeah the belt is funny, because its just about the same size as the 450, but just longer... Weird... My LHS has them in stock, so I may pick that up also and try out this torque tube bonanza going on... The guys who have the 500 CF at my LHS has the tube on there 500's and swears by it... We'll see....

Gotta make some dinner....Starving....:D

Cheers,

~ Jeff

J-MICHAEL 11-07-2008 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: rotarydoc

Jeff,

You mentioned cleaning up the work table...not a bad idea...LMAO!!

I gotta try to finish the B400 rebuild... or it may NEVER get done once I start the Rex build!!

Here's the connectors too...

Glenn

LOL.... Cool connectors... Good deal making the 3-cells run in series... How does that happen ? You run a positive from one battery, and then a negative from the other ? I was thinking about that today at work.... You don't want to know why...LMAO...But it has the word MCX all over it....YIKES... I may need to buy a spare MCX if all else fails....LMAO... Sometimes my experimenting can lead to expensive discoveries, but I love it....!

Yeah... I should get everything organized in my work area also... Its a pit... Then it would keep me from tempting to start, until I get some better fasteners for the 500... I bet if we wanted, we could whip up this build in 2 hours... Not much to figure after we already have a good understanding of the heli's... I've taken my 450 down to just screws so many times...LOL... This is just a bigger version is all... Should be easier, except when it comes to the torque tube thingy... Don't know squat about that... I may have to refer to my RC-HELI mag for assistance on how tight to put the mesh and the basics... I think it was last months issue on that. Can't remember...

Alright... Gotta go eat....;)

~ Jeff

rotarydoc 11-07-2008 10:25 PM

Jeff,

Yeah, I sure wish I knew what screws I was going to strip or otherwise turn to crap before I leave the hobby shop (I won't call it a LHS, because 50 miles away isn't local..LOL!). I wonder if they might have one of those screw kits I read about on the HF forum...can't remember who makes them something like RC screwz or something? I don't want to go back there on a regular basis, so I'd like to pick up everything I need while I'm there...

One thing is for sure...I'm gonna take my time..no rushing on this baby...half the fun is the build anyways!! I seriously doubt it will be ready for a test hover this weekend...but it depends on how much time I feel like spending on it, and how long everything takes. The build isn't too bad, it's setting all the servo links, pitch, swash travel, etc that can get time consuming (and a bit frustrating at times)...

Besides I really want to get at least a few packs of flying the B400 and maybe the Gaui depending on the weather too...

Yeah, to run the packs in series, and basically double the voltage....you go from the negative on the first pack to the positive on the other...and basically make a loop with the two packs...

Poor little MCX...LMAO!! It's going to become a guinea pig!!

Glenn

J-MICHAEL 11-07-2008 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Glenn ~

Also because of the torque tube ya don't have to worry about any ESD (static electricity) so if you are tail heavy, you can always get a CF tailboom... I know all the tricks, as the 450 had that big 9254 on the tail, so it took a lot of tweaking for the CG on that heli... But the CF tailbooms I feel are actually stronger than the soft aluminum ones, and they are lighter by a few grams also as I have the weights for the diffs, but only for the 450..

Here is a cool pic to ponder over... The Trex 450 tailboom & the Trex 500 tailboom side by side... I'am sure the T-450's tailboom is about the same as your B-400, but it will give ya an idea visually...:D

And the cool thing is the 500's boom is only $11.99 for two ! Sweet.... The 450's is only $7.99 for two also....

~ Jeff

rotarydoc 11-07-2008 10:50 PM

Jeff,

Yeah, that was one of my selling points...I have heard of nightmares with ESD and belt driven tails on CF helis...so definately wanted to stay away from that if I could...now, do they make a CF tailboom for the torque tube tail? That might be a great idea...since it sounds like it would help with the heavy tail...

That is a nice comparison pic...thanks. Yeah, I kinda looked at most crash parts for the Rex...and most are very reasonable, not quite as cheap as B400 stuff, but almost in some cases (two B400 tailbooms are $6.60). That is one major factor that turned me away from a Hirobo Lepton...the parts are outrageous in some areas....like a package with ONE main shaft for $16.00..OUCH!

Now some of the metal head parts are pretty pricey...like the blade grips...hopefully they don't bend too much in crashes...

Just got the see saw arm that was broken replaced in the B400....all that's left is to mount and measure the flybar paddles, and spool it up and set blade tracking...tomorrow...

That makes me wonder too....I'm not really keen on holding the B400 down while checking tracking...I'm SURE I will not be comfortable with that method on the 500...I may have to take it to work and clamp it to a work bench or something...not enough room here at home...

Glenn

rotarydoc 11-07-2008 11:00 PM

Jeff,

I just tested out the "Y" connector on the batteries....very cool...they have about 24 volts when wired together...should have LOTS of power...LOL! So I'll effectively have a 6S battery pack...wow!! Only problem is that I only have THREE 2100 mAh Eflite packs...need one more to have two working batteries...

Hey, do you have any idea of how the EC3 connectors work? Or have you worked with them?

I can see that I need to solder the wire to the male terminals...but what holds the metal terminals in the actual plastic connector?

I think I saw something about that somewhere....?

Glenn

J-MICHAEL 11-07-2008 11:13 PM

Glenn ~

Yeah the torque tube kit shows the boom that comes with the kit is the same size as the CF boom. (15/16/461 mm) So I see why it shouldn't work... But whew... they do get ya for the $23.00 price... The 450 CF boom is only $11.00 for one. I didn't realize the torque tube kit comes with a metal tail case...Kinda neat... As I the tail case just for the regular belt versin is about $40.00 or so bucks anyway... And the torque tube kit with everything is only $80.00... I think I'am picking one up tomorrow at the LHS. Hopefully they have them in stock still... They just got them in the other day, when I picked up my batts for the 500. I also need to pick up some Deans connectors or a charge lead so I can use them to charge on my charger... I also need to order a usb link that connects to my TP 1010c charger to upgrade the firmware on it. Then it will also allow you to charge either Nicd, Nimhs and update the software on it. Its only $20.00, so its worth it... I don't care for the other battery charging options, as I already have the Duratrax Ice, and the Duratrax Intellepeak (SP) chargers at home for that, and my Accu-Cycle will charge those type of batts also...

The metal pieces are kinda expensive, but they should hold up... I went with Microheli components for the head, and other areas of my 450 and those are spendy ! So I feel like the 500's CNC isn't all to bad. The reason I'am glad I got the 500, as I could just keep dumping massive funds in the 450 but why ? If this thing will help the learning curve, and fly more stable, and still be able to fly in smaller areas like some claim, then I'd rather put the money towards it and save the 450 for a memory...LMAO... I'am really debating on even picking up another 500 maybe this Friday... I would want one as my baby, and one for the basher so to speak... I was hoping Heli-Direct could get the ESP's in stock by then, but not sure... Or maybe I'll just not do that and just concentrate on one for now and beef it up a tad... But then I'll find myself being to careful with it, like my 450 and slowing my learning curve with it... I need to just fly it like I stole it...! And its easier when you don't have a bunch of funds wrapped up into it... Trust me...:D

Alright, time to go and get organized....

~ Jeff

J-MICHAEL 11-07-2008 11:23 PM

ORIGINAL: rotarydoc

Jeff,

I just tested out the "Y" connector on the batteries....very cool...they have about 24 volts when wired together...should have LOTS of power...LOL! So I'll effectively have a 6S battery pack...wow!! Only problem is that I only have THREE 2100 mAh Eflite packs...need one more to have two working batteries...

Hey, do you have any idea of how the EC3 connectors work? Or have you worked with them?

I can see that I need to solder the wire to the male terminals...but what holds the metal terminals in the actual plastic connector?

I think I saw something about that somewhere....?

Glenn

Yeah I love the EC3 connectors... It just takes ones own nack and way to figure out the best method for soldering and putting the metal terminals inside the blue thingy...LOL.. What holds and keeps the connector in place into the blue connector is a small rib that is on the terminal and also inside the blue connector... You should here it click into place, it will then never pull out if its all the way in... If there is ANY extra solder on the outside of that gold terminal, it won't click into place... I click it into place by using the end tip of my needle nose pliers (A favorite pair that works the best, others didn't) and then I push it into the blue connector until I hear it click. I use a hard flat surface in doing so, as it kind of takes some force to push it through, but not to much... Its just a method that works well for me, and easy for that matter. I never tried anything different, as this just works to well for me...

I think I heard its best when running the 3-cells in series is just make sure the batts (the two) are pretty much the same age or similar in that way, so they don't have to much of a difference on there age/performance or what-not... I wouldn't really maybe worry about it though... It should be fine, I just wanted to give ya that FYI from my earlier readings on the matter...

Cheers,

~ Jeff

rotarydoc 11-08-2008 12:14 AM

Jeff,

Thanks for the EC3 tips...kinda figured there was some sort of a trick to it...so I guess once you assemble them...they are then permanently assembled? Doesn't sound like there's much going back once that click happens...lol

Well, for the heck of it, I posted on HF about the screws and what not...maybe if someone knows what the most problematic ones are, I can pick some up, if I they don't have a kit.

The Forester is all fueled up and ready to go tomorrow...and the GPS is charged and ready too!

Yeah, I also read that about the batteries...the closer the match, the better. I have taken pretty good care of these, so hopefully I'll be OK..

Glenn

evdreamer 11-08-2008 12:18 AM

Glenn,

You guys wrote a lot today. Cool to hear about the T500. You will love installing the torque tube. It is so much easier than a belt. The gear meshes are already set for you and you can't change that. You will need to add green loctite to the torque tube and slide the bearing over that. The bearing needs to be off center, so there aren't any bad vibrations. It will show in the manual how far off center you need it. I just let mine cure over night. Then you put a little rubber piece over the bearing. Then just put some dish soap around the rubber piece and the torque tube slides easily into the boom. So you put the tail section on all the way and tighten it up. Then slide the torque tube in all the way to the tail assembly and pull it out just a little. Then you slide the boom into the tail drive system all the way and pull it out just a little. And you are done. Finless has a video on it for the Nitro 600 which the torque tube system is the exact same as yours, but bigger.

Go with the JR tail servo. I love my DS8900G with my Futaba GY240. You won't have any problems with using a Futaba gyro and a JR tail servo.

Once you fly the 500 you won't want to fly anything smaller as much.

That is the majority of what I remember from reading your posts. If you have any other questions just let me know and I will do my best to help out. The 500 is pretty much the same design as the 600 so there should be many things in common.

Once again congradulations on the new heli.

Nick

evdreamer 11-08-2008 12:19 AM

Helistyle,

Nice little helis. I like the paint job on the Walkera.

Nick

evdreamer 11-08-2008 12:23 AM

Glenn,

I was running short on time this afternoon to post that I got my parts for the Gaui and new pinions for the 600. I got some FRP blades for the Gaui. They are stiffer and just a little heavier than the stock blades. I hope they are just as strong as the stock blades. I also used my Align receiver battery for the first time in the 600 today.

Nick

rotarydoc 11-08-2008 12:26 AM

Nick,

Thanks for the congrats, and the detailed instructions on the torque tube, I'm sure I'll be referring back to that post in the near future.

What is the difference with green loctite vs. blue?

Yeah, I think I'll love the 500 once I fly it....that seems to be the general concensus out there, especially from B400 owners...big difference, so they say...should be interesting!

I am about 99% sure and sold on the JR 3500G, I am very satisfied with the DS 285's, so I'll stick with what is working well.

I didn't figure there would be any issues with the GY401 and the 3500G....but thanks for the reassurance...

I am now trying to figure out what are the weak screws that I should pick up tomorrow...someone said that there is a company that makes screw kits for the T-Rex helis...any idea? I would get one if they have them at Hobby Hangar. I'll ask about them...

Glenn

rotarydoc 11-08-2008 12:28 AM

Nick,

Cool on the parts and blades....I have always wondered what FRP blades are...let me guess...Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic? Just a guess?

Did you get any snow out of the storm?

Glenn

rotarydoc 11-08-2008 12:31 AM

Nick,

And Jeff and I were discussing the CF tail boom, as it might be ligher and help with the tail heaviness...wondering if they make a tailboom in CF for the torque tube, or are they the same booms?

Glenn

evdreamer 11-08-2008 12:36 AM

Glenn,

Here is the link to the torque tube video. It is step 17. http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41514

Green loctite is easier to break than blue. And green is meant to hold bearings on the shaft or pinions on a shaft. Your kit should come with a little bottle of green and blue loctite.

You could look at the manual for the T500 online at Align and see what size screws it uses. I would think Hobby Hangar carries DuBro screws, so you could get some the same size as the kit lists. My weak screws in the 600 are the 2mm button head screws. The 2.5mm screws don't strip easily.

I have no idea what FRP stands for. They were just the only blades I could find for the Gaui.

I saw some snow flakes today, but I think later tonight it will get worse. I guess I will find out tomorrow morning.

Nick

evdreamer 11-08-2008 12:37 AM

Glenn,

That I don't know about with the booms. I am still using my aluminum one and it works fine for me.

Nick

rotarydoc 11-08-2008 12:49 AM

Nick,

Thanks for the link to the TT vid...I will definately check it out.

I didn't realize that the kit would come with loctite. Cool.

If I don't figure the screws out by tomorrow, I'll ask at Hobby Hangar....they seem to be pretty knowledgable about helis, they knew everything I wanted to know about the ESP, including stuff on the included servos.

I just got done watching two vids on the 500....what's in the box...and see saw setup...some very good info there, for sure!

I'll have to watch more and learn as much as I can before I start.

I am wondering how the B400 batteries will perform in the 500....since they are 2100's what kind of flight times would you think I could get with moderate head speeds?

Glenn

evdreamer 11-08-2008 01:09 AM

Glenn,

Here is a link on another build of the T500. And at the bottom it talks about batteries in the 2100mAh range and they said it ran hot, low headspeed, and tail heavy like you said before. http://www.trextuning.com/t-rex500_build.php

I am guessing in the 4-5 minute range. I almost have the same capacity in my 600, but I almost have about 10V more and right now I am getting 4.5 minute flights.

Nick

rotarydoc 11-08-2008 01:25 AM

Nick,

Thanks for that link, I have read that one before, and I think that's where I got the info on the tail heaviness with the 2100's.

I will try it out and see where I am on CG...and maybe I can move some stuff around to get it closer. We'll see. I'm not even close to worrying about that yet...LOL

I see Finless CA's his linkage balls in place... not a bad idea I suppose...I don't see where it could hurt anything, unless you needed to take it apart later on.

I got the B400's see saw shaft fixed, all I have to do is set the blade tracking now.

I think it's supposed to rain some tomorrow morning...which will make my 100 mile round trip kinda messy. Oh well, the Forester should do fine.

Hope you don't get too much snow tonight.

Glenn

evdreamer 11-08-2008 01:30 AM

Glenn,

Good to hear you have the see saw fixed. And hope you have decent weather to get your new heli.

I am going to call it a night since I am going to have a long day tomorrow. I have 7 hours of school then a hour in between then I am off to 7 hours of work.

Nick

rotarydoc 11-08-2008 01:41 AM

Nick,

Cool, I forgot about your big, busy day tomorrow....hope you get some rest.

I'll talk to you soon, and post some pics of the build and what not...

Take care,

Glenn