RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   E-Flite Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/)
-   -   are these blades any good for cp pro? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/7669097-these-blades-any-good-cp-pro.html)

JPEE 06-24-2012 07:18 PM

RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Naa naa my son! That was before my first drive. it is dusty now though.

Aframomum 06-25-2012 06:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

Looks like day #3 is finally over and Debby is slowly moving north so tonight should be a bit quieter. It seems to be weakening too so hopefully not too much for the guys in the Panhandle. Wanted to include a picture of today with the neighbors palms just bending over in the winds.

On the lighter side, I have been looking at getting a larger bird then my tiny mcpx. Going to stay with Align this time and keep with the 500 size...it really is perfect for my size flying areas. Right now looking at the EFL but not in a hurry to make any decisions.

Mark

JPEE 06-25-2012 06:40 PM

Mark,
Glad to see your all safe. Great picture too. AS you will read below I was flying my 500 today, three packs back to back as one one was at the field. That sucker is fast, so agile, they are a great heli. I do recommend $$$ wise you buy an older 500ESP and then put a VBAR on there we have done here. The new 500s are just so costly and come with the 3GX ICKKKKK

After working on my sub-floor at my other other house I came home I treated myself to 3 quick flights with the 500 to working on a stunt, hovering inverted on the deck. Why you ask? well it seems my other student here who has been a plane builder and flier came to me for help after getting back into helis after a 8 year layoff (450 size) Well the SOB can "nearly" fly as good as me..........crap! So he has been practicing hours and hours on the sim to fly inverted to a low hover on the deck. Well son, it ain't nice to play with mother nature. I can hold a heli all day inverted and have come down to the deck a few times "briefly". But today was deck day let me tell you. I took my hat cam with to show you and I'll be danged, it took a poop, guess I need a new one. Anyway, I was all alone at the field "perfect" but the wind was up a bit and up and down like gusts. I got within 6' of the deck several times in the three packs but I dare not go lower because then wind would push me around. But that is not why I left! I left because I had flown so much inverted today and the packs were nearly back to back that on one occasion I got crossed up and while I struggled to "right" the heli every stick move was not working, it was as if I was doing everything backwards, because I was!!!!!! My brain had not come back to upright flying and my stick movements were all backwards. I lost some altitude before I realized "I" was doing everything wrong, and then I pulled right out of it. Packed up and got the heck out of Dodge! I need to be able to stay ahead of the guys I help learn to fly, kinda like a gun fighter LOL

Aframomum 06-25-2012 07:07 PM

JPEE,

That is quite a story...for some reason when you mentioned 'deck' I had some crazy idea you were trying to fly inverted over a real deck...you know, a backyard deck. :D Some more reading got me straightened out.

I remember Glenn having the exact same issue as you just described, not being able to revert back to upright flight after too much inverted wiring. I did the same thing with my mcpx earlier this month...was concentrating so much on my inverted hovering and then flipped her back over and couldn't for the life of me understand why the heli kept slowly backing away from me. By the time I realized what was happening that tiny heli was a tiny speck...got real lucky in getting her back to safety. So can fully understand what you were feeling.

Thanks for the suggestions on the ESP...there are a few online stores that will allow you to choose what you want in a kit (Grandrc and PerformancePlusRC) so I am waiting on their reply for a quote on a ELF kit without the 3GX. I considered the option of getting a used ESP but my mind kept going back to my Protos experience and what I had to replace on it so not really wanting to repeat that. Not in a big hurry right now so still looking before I make any decisions.

Mark

JPEE 06-25-2012 07:15 PM

10-4 Mark on a new kit, I hear you. I forgot about the dis-pleasure with that used Protos. If Grand will sell you an FBL kit w/o a 3GX then jump on that sucker.

Aframomum 06-25-2012 07:28 PM

Hey guys,

Has anyone been following the SpaceX story?

Reason being...They had a successful launch of their Falcon rocket with the Dragon spacecraft at 3:45am May 31 from the Space Coast (yes, I was up to watch it from the house :D), it docked with the International Space Station, and returned to Earth by splashing down off the coast of Los Angeles.

The US has not seen a capsule launch and recovery since the last Apollo mission in 1972, now just one month ago it appears we will be starting it up again. Nasa and SpaceX have a second launch to the ISS scheduled for August. These are definitely exciting times esp since the shuttle was retired just last summer.

[link=http://www.spacex.com/updates.php]SpaceX pictures[/link]

Mark

JPEE 06-25-2012 07:32 PM

Yes Mark I have been follow them. 60 minutes did two stories on them, back then and now after the docking.

evdreamer 06-27-2012 12:55 PM

John,

That is cool you did your first auto. Smacktalk has a pretty good video on how to learn to do autos. It helped me out a lot. I am afraid to do an auto with my Whiplash. My one way is locked up. It has been a problem with Whiplashes. It is a massive one way bearing. People have recommended using bearing grease over the stock tri-flow from the factory. I am not in a big hurry to fix it. I haven't been in the mood to fly for awhile.

That looks like a fun toy. Do you ever get lost out there? I know I would.

That is cool you are bringing the heli lower while inverted.

Mark,

It sounds like Debby was mild in your area compared to some parts of Florida. I saw some of the flooding on TV.

I haven't been keeping up with the latest SpaceX news. However, what they have done has been fascinating.

Nick

JPEE 06-28-2012 02:38 PM

Hello Nick,
Is the down load video from Smack-Talk free........ or is it one of those videos you have to purchase? He if you have a link to the video I would very much appreciate it.

That is really something that you cannot do autos with your Whiplash because of the one-way main bearing. That is a well known helicopter and you would think it would be possible without any issues.

No I do not get lost out in the desert or the hills.......... anymore lol. I did on two occasions some years ago. After that I immediately went and bought a GPS for outdoor use unlike the one in your automobile. This GPS is generally used for hikers. It records the trail you walk/drive how many miles you have traveled, how high you are in elevation and much more. It will even let you set a "backtrack" mode so as to take you back same exact way to came. So we use this GPS It's a small handheld one no bigger than a cellphone. Now it is mounted in a stand we bought inside the RZR on the dash. It makes me feel a lot better to have that with us. Generally we are traveling were other people are around which helps too.

Take care

rotarydoc 06-29-2012 06:19 AM

Hey guys,

Wow, just realized how long it's been...gotta get caught up!

Nick,

Sounds cool on your latest boards...keep up the great work!

I know what you mean about not being in the mood to fly...I just can't get motivated this year so far![&o]

JPEE,

Nice vids on the new machine there, looked great!

I know the exact feeling about getting mixed up with too much inverted...I think it's a common problem when guys are trying to practice too much inverted. Rob always emphasizes to spilt it up, and go about 80% upright, and keep the inverted down to the other 20%, especially when in the learing stages....as I learned last year very well...

Mark,

I was glad to hear that you made it through Debby OK, looked like it was more of a west coast event, but looks like you still got your fair share!!

I still have my 500 ESP, haven't been flying it for awhile...I've been debating whether to hold on to it or not...if in the future, you are still looking, let me know...and I'll give it some thought.

It's still a bit large for most of my local fields here...and no sign of any progress with MHA lately on a new field...

It's HOT here!! Nick, I'm getting your hot weather that you were having earlier in the week...they say it'll feel like 110 today...I can hardly wait...:eek:

OK guys, back to work....nice chatting, and hope everyone has a great weekend, and 4th of July!

Glenn

JPEE 06-29-2012 06:55 AM

Glenn,
So nice to hear from you, I miss you man.

Judy and I were astounded at the weather that both you and Nick have forcasted for your areas, extreme HEAT![X(]

Boy if you guys get together on the 500 what deal for both. A guy that would be a good proud new owner and letting your heli go to someone that wont be abusive to it. You and I built our 500s so there is some sweat equity and pride of ownership in them and that is what makes them so special to us.

John

evdreamer 06-29-2012 02:06 PM

John,

The video is $4.09. They have some other auto videos, but I haven't seen them. http://www.smacktalkrc.com/archives/568

That backtrack feature of your GPS sounds like a cool feature.

Glenn,

Sorry you got my heat. I am glad that I don't have to unload trucks anymore at my previous job. There was no air conditioning and I would be drenched with sweat at the end of my shift in the summer. Hopefully it isn't too hot at your work. I couldn't remember if you had AC there.

Nick

JPEE 06-30-2012 07:04 AM

Thank you Nick!

Aframomum 06-30-2012 12:30 PM

Hey guys,

JPEE,

I downloaded a couple of those Smack video's earlier this year (Nick pointed me in that direction ;)) and they are well worth it. The good part is you can keep the vid on your computer forever so you can review as much as needed. And the guys actually make it kinda fun to watch also. Plenty of good info there on auto's too.

Nick,

Sorry to hear about your OWB...maybe when your ready to fly again the grease suggestion will help to fix the problem. Maybe there is an aftermarket bearing replacement that is better then the stock one for holding up to the power the Whiplash puts out.

We finally got the heat that you and Glenn are experiencing. Luckily Debby kept us nice and cool...and wet too! But the weather was nice for a good week.

Glenn,

Thanks for the dibs on your ESP, but I made my purchase a few days ago...the price given to me was very fair so I jumped on it. Looks like it will be here just before the 4th. :D

Also at work right now so gotta run but talk to you guys later,

Mark

JPEE 07-01-2012 05:26 PM

Thank Mark for your insites.

Did you get a 500 or 550? Did you FBL or FB?

What FBL device will you use? BEAST X OR VBAR

INQUIRING MINDS WHAT TO KNOW

Aframomum 07-01-2012 07:47 PM

JPEE,

To satisfy those inquiring minds...I got a 500EFL FBL with the DFC head upgrade. :D

Yep, finally joining the club. :D

I'm going with the BeastX/Spektrum AR7200BX unit...have heard really great things about it plus I do like the simplicity of having the receiver and fbl controller in one nice package.

The 500 size is perfect for the flying areas available to me now...the 550 was just too large to be comfortable. And with summer in full swing it will be nice to stay indoors awhile with the build.

PerformancePlusRC is who I ultimately decided on...in the end Kirk at PPRC really gave great customer service whereas Grandrc kinda gave me a generic reply about just using the website. At lot of guys at HF highly recommend Performance and so far I have to agree. UPS is scheduled to stop by on Tuesday...boy I'm anxious as a jitterybug. :)

Have you had the chance to check out any of the Smack video's yet?

Nick,

I missed your comment on having to unload trucks in the summer heat...yuk for sure! Hope you get something in the airconditioning for now on. I worked one summer in a rug making factory during my highschool days and the general floor area didn't have any air...just huge fans that would circulate the hot air. What misery - and I don't miss those days at all. :eek:

Glenn,

Keep cool this 4th of July...do you have off?

I have the priveledge of working but it is only dayshift so I get to be home in time to do some grilling and then shooting off some fireworks with the 'lil one! :) Plus time and a half will help me to buy my BeastX controller. :D

Take care guys,

Mark

evdreamer 07-02-2012 05:08 AM

Mark,

I don't think there are any alternatives to my one way bearing. It is one of a kind and not like normal one way bearings. The guys on helifreak don't blame the bearing for locking up, but the tri-flow and the bearing cup.

That is cool you will be getting a 500 soon.

I haven't unloaded a truck for a little over 2 years when I quit that job. Now I work at a computer all day in the AC.:D

I will be working in the morning on the 4th too. I will also be eating some grilled food in the evening at my sister's house.

Nick

JPEE 07-02-2012 05:45 AM

Nick,

My 700 One-way bearing is unique too. But I submit, have you considered "greasing" like I do? You must remember me talking about my GREASER that packs the grease on any size bearing?
As a side note, I am close to my 100th flight on my 700 and have not lost "A" bearing! Further since I started greasing I have never lost a bearing on any of my past 600s or 500s. I only replace a bearing after a crash, and even that is rare anymore, thank goodness! Just a thought......... Not everyone knows about the greaser. It might be worth asking on HF if anyone "ever tried greasing that bearing.

Me

evdreamer 07-02-2012 05:58 AM

John,

I am going to grease the bearing. I have some Align grease from my old 600. I probably won't do that until the temps come down.

I do remember you talking about your greaser.

People have good results using red tri-flow grease and Align grease on the Whiplash bearing on Helifreak.

Nick

JPEE 07-02-2012 06:10 AM

Nick,

Tri-Flow makes "GREASE"???

I had only heard of their light oil. As long as we are on this subject, I also submit that if guys with Scorpion motors greased them rather than oiling them after 6 flights as disignated by Scorpion they would have far better service before burning out their bearings. Common sense tells me, grease is heavier, and if you have to oil after 6 flights that clearly is a note saying, oil wont last because it is to thin and breaks down??

"JPEE........... "THE GREASER"

Aframomum 07-04-2012 03:36 AM

HAPPY 4th OF JULY EVERYONE!!! :D :D

Aframomum 07-04-2012 03:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And BTW,

Guess what came yesterday?? :D

evdreamer 07-04-2012 03:48 AM

Happy 4th.

Mark,

Have fun with the build.

Nick

JPEE 07-04-2012 05:17 AM

Happy 4th Everyone!

And you all be safe out there!!!!

Aframomum 07-07-2012 04:53 PM

Hi guys,

Hope everyone's 4th was good...we got to do some grilling and then shot off fireworks with the little guy...this was the first time he actually enjoyed it. :)

Just started on the 500 build...just working on the tail and head first. Waiting on my days off to get a bit more in depth with it.

Other than that just hot, hot, and hot...yep, its definitely July. :eek: Stay cool everyone.

Mark