RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   E-Flite Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/)
-   -   Blade MSR, The Hype. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/9356190-blade-msr-hype.html)

Sasquatchin 12-24-2009 06:24 AM

Blade MSR, The Hype.

I have read tons of hype on the Blade MSR, from good to not so great.

I decided I wanted to see what the hype is for myself, so I went to the local hobby shop yesterday and picked up the E-Flight Blade MSR BNF version. I went with the BNF version for 2 reasons; it is less expensive, and I have 4 tx's already and do not want more.

When I got home I opened up the box and took stock of everything in the box: Manual, Charger Manual, MSR FP Heli, 4 Port Charger, Ac power Supply, 2 batteries, a bag of spare parts. What I did not see was a spare set of main rotor blades (though it does come with a replacement rear rotor).

First things first, I pulled out the 4 port charger and the 2 included batteries (I also bought 2 extra batteries) plugged the ac power in to the wall, and into the charger, and plugged in all four batteries. While the batteries were charging, I did a once over on the heli itself to check for obvious issues and did not find any. One of the bad things I have read/heard about the MSR is that the tail rotor motor can work itself loose from the clamp it is in. I read the fix for that is to take a piece of heat-shrink tubing over the motor carefully (do not break the 2 tiny wires attached to the motor!) and place it where it bumps up against the clamp that holds the motor, so I did that, and it took all of 1 minute.

With in 10-15 mins all 4 batteries were charged (most LiPo's come partially charged), and I was ready to give this a try.

I decided to use my LP5DSM Tx that came with my Blade CX2 and the only thing I had to change was the dip-switch settings (make sure to write down your settings before you change them). I installed the flight battery, connected the wire, and turned on the Tx.

After a slight delay, the Tx was bound to the heli, and I tested out the controls to make sure everything was working with out binding. With everything working, it was time to take the maiden flight..

I got the rotors spinning and lifted off right away. After a few moments of trimming out the heli, I was doing hands off hovering. I am surprised how stable this FP heli is! It is unlike any other FP/CP heli I have flown yet. After just a few batteries, I was zipping this nano sized heli all over. It is agile and fast!

I am an instant fan of the E-Flight Blade MSR!

The good:

Easy to Fly and very stable
Comes with 2 batteries and a 4 port charger for more flight time
Tons of fun in a tiny package

The bad:

No replacement main rotor blades included

Synopsis:

Great nano heli!

The MSR is so stable and easy to fly that a first time heli pilot, or a pilot moving over from a coaxial will have the MSR cruising around their living rooms in no time.

I think the MSR is so stable that it may give a newer pilot a false sense of security. Never have I see an FP heli that is so stable you can do hands off hovering. Just keep that in mind if you want to jump up to a CP and think it will fly like the MSR, it won't.

gi1mo2 12-24-2009 09:13 AM

RE: Blade MSR, The Hype.

Agree with the summary. I bought one on yesterday as well, and my take:

- MSR is very stable
- BNF easy to bind to my DX7 with little trim required
- great for mid-experienced pilot who wants to fly indoors or in tight places over the winter
- takes a beating. I did hit the wall and other objects a few times with no sign of damage (I do cut throttle before I hit - a beginner might not)
- main blades are on a pivot so they will not break as easily as a CX2 type of heli. Probably even stronger than the blades on my MCX (although I never broke one).
- slow forward motion unless you throttle up at the same time
- It takes off when you turn right or left at the same time, but requires some heli skills to control (I haven't found the mid point between slow and fast)
- My local hobby store does have parts if I need them.
- I already had a 4 battery charger for my MCX, and thought the charger in the box would be extra, but I like the idea of the 4 x D cell battery to easily take the MSR on the road.
- The MSR is said to fly outdoors in light winds. I will wait for next spring to try. It's been a bit too cold lately.

Before I bought the MSR yesterday, the store owner let my try the new Tandem and it was a lot of fun and easier to control. Does have a bigger battery since it has 2 rotors. They didn't have a BNF model, but I still wanted a heli that was more responsive. I also tried 2 others, but I guess I'm a Blade convert ;)

All in all a great choice, especially if you have another transmitter or want something that will take a beating. I do agree that there is another learning curve before going to a CP heli.

Gilles

Happy holidays to all!
-
MCX, MSR, CX2 (RIP), CP Pro2, HK450 (x 2)

condor11 12-24-2009 10:32 AM

When I bought MSR a few month ago I was flying it with stock transmitter. I hated it. Couldn't control it very well, it was too fast and I kept hitting the walls.
So I put it away and went back to MXC. Then I bought DX6i and decided to try MSR again. What a difference! I didn't need to do any curves or mixing. I guess the controls on DX6i are more precise, allow for more precise movement and hence my MSR flies a lot more controllable!

So if anyone is struggling with MSR being too hard try a better controller!

P.S. My MSR has suffered A LOT of crashes. Some bad ones. At one point, when I didn't have DX6i and flying was a misery I got mad and was just flying it to see it get destroyed and put it (and myself) out of misery. To my surprise I didn't manage to kill it. When I got DX6i and bound it I was flying like it was a brand new helicopter.

klaze 12-24-2009 02:39 PM

The stock transmitter is a POS.

I still use it because it's smaller but when I use my DX6 it's a completely different heli.

res3567 12-24-2009 06:40 PM

Yea it is a great heli and it will give you a false sense of security....... I got a Blade CP+ after I mastered my mCX, and my mSR. Well....... my CP is pretty trashed and grounded after three days of attempted flying AND crashes......

Fly To Chill 12-24-2009 07:01 PM

The same thing happen to my brother,I my self have been flyin for almost three years and turned my brother on to the MSR,ahfter less then a week he said he could fly any heli cp fp it did not matter,I told him to get a sim if wanted to step up to a cp he said he did not need one and bought a cp he got the cp destroyed it the first day and dose not fly helis any more he even sold his MSR,I hated to say it but I told him so, now hes dose not want to fly helis anymore.

Stone624 12-28-2009 05:04 PM

I have to agree the mSR is a great indoor heli, My girlfriend got me one for x-mas and I haven't stopped flying it every chance I get.

I did purchase some $1.99 batteries from hobbyking.com and can say they are about as good as the stock batteries (IMO), but not as good
as some lighting power batteries I had purchased from helihobby.com, I find they hold power longer and stronger through the entire flight time.

Jason

46u 12-29-2009 05:25 PM

I got a MCX S300 BNF since I have a DX6i today and I like it so much I ordered a MSR BNF! :D

nothinbetr2do 12-29-2009 05:40 PM

ORIGINAL: 46u

I got a MCX S300 BNF since I have a DX6i today and I like it so much I ordered a MSR BNF! :D
congrats on the new purchase
i just ordered a msr bnf over the weekend and i'm waiting for it to arrive any day now. i have a cx2 and a mcx that i can fly really well, hopefully this msr is just as fun or better
good luck with yours

46u 12-29-2009 10:42 PM

This is my present helicopter fleet. I have over 40 hobby grade RC vehicles but these are my helicopters till my MSR gets here. :D

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...nes/FleetA.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...nes/fleetc.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...nes/fleetb.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...nes/fleetd.jpg

NordicMan 12-29-2009 11:30 PM

I just bought an MSR today [sm=shades_smile.gif] and WOW what a great little heli! About a year ago I started fiddling with some cheap coaxial heli's, then about 6 months ago I decided to take the "plunge" and bought a simulator (RealFlight G4) Well with the benefit of the coaxial and the simulator's experience I was up and HOVERING with the MSR after about the 2nd battery. WOW e-flite did their homework creating a NICE stable micro FP chopper

flyinrog 12-30-2009 12:42 PM

Well this is all good to hear..,,I started with an LMH heli and paid way to much for it and a bunch of parts and never really got it flying well and lost interest..then I got a trex 450 clone, and just havent made the time for it and want to get the msr for more practice..I fly planes mostly but wanted something to play with around home and in home actually....thanks...Rog

Sasquatchin 12-30-2009 05:12 PM

My current heli stable. sorry about the crappy pic:

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k...6481Medium.jpg

mobius88 12-30-2009 09:20 PM

great pic!

k3nv 01-01-2010 12:34 AM

I'm in love with my blade mSR too. I brought it to a family xmas party and everyone was amazed by how small and maneuverable it was. It totallly owns those airhogs I use to have. This little guy flies like big heli. I haven't touched the included transmitter at all and am using DX6i.

[link=http://kenbuys.com/eflite-blade-msr-micro-helicopter/]http://kenbuys.com/wp-content/upload...12-300x225.jpg
My Blade mSR review[/link]

ct420 01-02-2010 05:34 PM

I ordered an Msr yesterday. Should be here next week some time. Can't wait!

I've been flying helis for about 4-5yrs, but haven't touched them at all for the past 1+ yrs due to my stupid life interfering with my hobby [:@]

46u 01-02-2010 11:01 PM

I received mine today. It is the first single blade I have ever flown. At first I was worried I made the wrong choice as it was jut to wild for me. Then I did some radio changes to tame it down. Not it is all most to tame but I set up the dual rate where I can made it more aggressive with a flip of the switch. :D I got the BNF and have a DX6i.

hamburgrd 01-08-2010 11:34 AM

I got an MSR for christmas. My wife says I am having too much fun. Here is a vid of some outdoor flying in snow and 3-5 mph winds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9SNhTX6knQ

Sasquatchin 01-08-2010 01:26 PM

Nice!  I have not flown mine outside yet, as it has been way to windy lately.  I am looking forward to trying it though, as this little guy is quick!.