RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   E-Flite Helicopters (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/)
-   -   I'm back, with Blade SR! (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/9551960-im-back-blade-sr.html)

Freezetron 03-03-2010 04:31 PM

I'm back, with Blade SR!

Hi guys! Dunno if you remember me and my first heli, Blade mSR back in Sept of last year. I had some fun with it but got frustrated and impatient with it, mostly due to crash indoors and I finally sold it after a month and decided to start saving up for a Baja 5T and ditch helicopters.

Recently, a guys post on another forum indicated it he bought a "new" Blade available from e-flite and talked a little bit about. Curious, I went to E-flites website and researched the new Blade SR and freaking fell in love with it instantly! Its exactly what I needed to get back into helicopters after I grew frustrated with my mSR late last year, mostly cause I kept flying indoors and kept crashing/breaking stuff and not being able to fly outside unless it was perfectly calm . After watching every single video of the SR in action on youtube, I got more excited to the point were I started to rethink my priorities about getting a Baja 5T the last few days. Finally went to my LHS today to find to my great surprise they got their first shipment of SR's in and had one sitting out for me to look and fondle at!

Needless to say, I drooled and decided among many personal reasons not to go with the Baja 5T and instead get back into helicopters. I just got home with this on my work bench, getting ready for its maiden flight!

Back to being a noob again in the world of helicopters, but i'm excited! :D

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...deSR/newsr.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...eSR/newsr3.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...eSR/newsr2.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...R/bladesr4.jpg

46u 03-03-2010 04:39 PM

RE: I'm back, with Blade SR!

My SR will be here by end of the week. I do believe that now I am doing well with my MSR and think it will make learning to fly the SR some easier. I like my helicopters which when the SR gets here I will have eleven but I sure would not sell my HPI Baja to get another one. I am selling some of my RC vehicles as with over 40 of them just do not have time to run or fly them all. I have some I have not fired up in over 3 years. [X(]

Freezetron 03-03-2010 07:59 PM

After going back to the LHS for some tips on how to mount the battery and velco correctly, I came home and decided to give it an indoors throttle up *its raining outside now* just to get an idea of how this thing sounds compared to my MSR. To be extra safe, I taped the landing skids to the table just to prevent anything flying outa control.

With a deep breath and giving everything a final check over, I flicked on the TX and then plugged in the lipo and waited for the two beep ok from the gyro and then disengaged the throttle hold and gave it some gas....

WOW and Holy sheeet was my first initial reaction! This thing is noisy compared to my MSR, the tail motor especially whines very loudly, I almost thought something was wrong with it. Powered down and was amazed at how long it took for the rotors to stop turning! Tried it again and this time giving it a bit more throttle! Wow, seeing those big blades spinning really made me think about safety when flying this thing, it could seriously injure me or someone else!

After a few more stationary throttle ups and downs, I decided to call it an evening. I was amazed at how hot the rear motor heatsink got in a short period of time, is that normal?

Maybe tomorroo if the weather gets better it will be time for some actually light flying, can't wait!

res3567 03-03-2010 10:47 PM

Fire it up!!!! Cmon now!!!!! Don't be scared!!!!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gifCan u post some vids?

rotarydoc 03-03-2010 10:48 PM

Ice,

Nice little "mini review" on the SR....looks nice!

I currently have 2 CPP2's, which are similar, and I love flying them....looks like the SR shares alot of the same parts, but also has a completly new frame design....interesting!

I'm sure you'll have a great time with it, from what I have read, it's a nice next step up from the MSR....if you are doing OK with the MSR, you should love the SR, I would think.

Yeah, while the SR is by no means a large heli, they can still do some fairly serious bodily and property damage, so be careful!!

Have fun, and keep us posted, glad to see you made the plunge back into helis!

Enjoy;)

Glenn

klaze 03-04-2010 12:14 PM

Way too much plastic.

46u 03-04-2010 02:47 PM

If you look in the SR manual you will see that the SR shares only about 30% if that of the same parts as the CP. Yes one of them is the tail motor and rotor. May are talking about the noise the tail motor is putting out on the SR. I hope mine will be here shortly.

Freezetron 03-04-2010 02:54 PM

First initial flight was much tougher then I thought it would be and I already broke the blades. Not sure if im gonna pursue this further now, this is gonna take alot more patience then I thought it would.

46u 03-04-2010 03:03 PM

Training gear. ;) Do your remember what I said to one of your other post? I was worried about how you would do as if you have problems flying the MSR the SR is much more difficult. If you are welling to take the time you can master it but you have to take BABY steps.

Here is some VERY good advice on learning to fly a helicopter.
http://www.dream-models.com/eco/index.html

Freezetron 03-04-2010 05:08 PM

Nah, the first flight was all I needed to tell me that this just isn't my thing, I lack the personal patience to learn how to fly a helicopter as well as fork over the money when I crash it in the learning process. It just doesn't do anything for me. I'll stick to saving up for my Baja 5T and driving on the ground

Its up for grabs now

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...734&electric=0

46u 03-04-2010 05:12 PM

Yep nothing to driving on the ground compared to flying a helicopter. I like doing both even thaw I have not driven my HPI 5B since first of the year. Problem I have is I have way to many RC vehicles and I am going to sell some NOT MY 5B.:D

I have talked to pilots that fly 1 to 1 helicopters and they say flying a real helicopter is easier then a RC one. [X(]

Freezetron 03-04-2010 05:43 PM

RC cars don't usually break easily enough to completely take you out of running them, not near as quickly as breaking a set of rotor blades anyway, as i've finally found out. I can usually keep driving or jerry rig a RC car to keep going unless the failed/broken part was crucial.

With helicopters, I've finally learned the hard way that one smalls crash, one slight mistep, judgment, lapse in concentration and *poof* I break the blades and im down, period, fineto. Not to mention I have to keep the damn thing balanced at all times, balance the blades after every crash and all this extra crap I HAVE to do when dealing with RC helicopters. Ung, no thanks.....

For me, its not worth it. I don't have that personal patience to keep enjoying something that is so fragile and requires so much effort and practice to learn, all the while breaking/fixing it along the way as part of the fun and learning experience

No, after two helicopters, iv'e decided firmly that this aspect of the hobby just isn't for my taste. The fact that I suffer from OCD also prevents me from having the lack of patience to do this kinda thing. Breaking, fixing, practicing and repeat just won't cut it for me with RC helicopters. I envy you guys who can find fun in this, but after two attempts, its clear this is not for me and that's all there is to it.

Least I gave it a try. *shrug* But now I know for sure what I want outa my RC hobby, so its not a total loss I think, I learned something from it.

46u 03-04-2010 06:00 PM

I have over 100 flights on my MSR and only broke 3 parts. I fly inside with out much problem. My first single rotor helicopter. Raced my Baja 5B at diggers dungeon and someone took out my whole left rear shock. I did finish limping around the track. I have been racing buggies for over 5 years and just like flying helicopters if you know what you are doing you do not break a whole lot on either. One flight with out training gear and you are ready to give it up! :eek: Flying helicopters is not for every one that is for sure. What I do not understand you had problems with the MSR why you get a SR that is a lot harder? I wish you luck with your 5T and have you ever run large scale? Large scale break a lot easier then 1/8 or smaller do to their weight and the parts are a WHOLE lot more expensive! A 10 pound or less RC truck does not break near as easy as a 22 plus pound truck. I have both and know from experience. Might be better off sticking to small scale RC land vehicles. Good luck in what ever way you go.

joemavaro 03-04-2010 06:12 PM

[b]I just got mine a few days ago, flys well, (I only flew it on Low Rates) However the tail rotor motor is very noisy, (tried a little oil but it didn't help)[/b]

46u 03-04-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: joemavaro

[b]I just got mine a few days ago, flys well, (I only flew it on Low Rates) However the tail rotor motor is very noisy, (tried a little oil but it didn't help)[/b]
If you look around and read about the SR you will see every one says the tail motor is really noise. ;)

Freezetron 03-04-2010 06:26 PM

My last helicopter flight.....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vyCpB_6ygY[/youtube]

Solman 03-04-2010 06:43 PM

Oiling a electrical component can be dangerous.  The tail motor wasn't designed to be oiled.  It was designed to be used and then discarded when it breaks.  Ignore the noise, it is spinning approximately 4 revolutions to every 1 revolution of the main blade.

46u 03-04-2010 06:56 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: IceWindius

All I can say is $10 training gear is cheaper then $15 blades and you only have to buy the training gear ONCE! ;)

klaze 03-04-2010 08:59 PM

Ice Windus you might be happier with a Blade MSR it's a lot easier to fly and very low powered and light so when it crashes it doesn't break as easily.

I crash all day long and have no breaks.

You can also fly indoors while you watch tv or whatever..

CP Helis are a PAIN IN THE ARSE.. the are nothing like a FP heli no matter how much E-Flite wants you to believe this heli is easy to fly it's just not.. The physics behind it are much different than a FP heli..

46u 03-04-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: klaze

Ice Windus you might be happier with a Blade MSR it's a lot easier to fly and very low powered and light so when it crashes it doesn't break as easily.

CP Helis are a PAIN IN THE ARSE.. the are nothing like a FP heli no matter how much E-Flite wants you to believe this heli is easy to fly it's just not.. The physics behind it are much different than a FP heli..
Did you read his original post? He had a MSR and had problems flying it this is why I do not understand way he got the SR? [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

klaze 03-04-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: 46u

Quote:

ORIGINAL: klaze

Did you read his original post? He had a MSR and had problems flying it this is why I do not understand way he got the SR? [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Nope missed that part.

Solman 03-05-2010 01:29 AM

Quote:

<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">Nope missed that part. </span>
<div>
</div><div>And the plot thickens...  some type of music follows</div>

res3567 03-05-2010 10:23 PM

How much are you going to sell it for? Let me know....I may be interested....... nevermind...I saw your earlier post on the marketplace.
Quote:

ORIGINAL: IceWindius

Doug47 03-06-2010 07:56 AM

I've got a ton of time flying (decades) high speed r/c planes, got to where a stock MCX was boring, an MSR is a riot and though sure no master at all I can fly it around and do all the basic nose-in/nose-out stuff. The MSR was a MAJOR challenge early on, and strange but true I liked flying nose in vs nose-out better than vice-versa which I can't begin to explain.
However, flying the new SR last night for the first time in a gym, I found the SR as delivered no harder to fly as far as hovering ,nose-in/nose-out basics goes than the MSR. What a freakin' Cadillac this thing is. Now progrssing I know full well I;ll be in for a major challenge:).
IceWindius-46u is writing a lot to try and help and encourage you. Giving up like this robs you of even the possibility of experiencing the massive endorphin rush we humans get from progressing on a goal to learn something that isn't easy. Like when JFK said "we choose to go to the moon, not because it is easy bit because it was hard". (They don't make democrats like that anymore :) ).
I'm a 50 plus lifer in the military,and it has blessed me with many endorphin releasing exeriences, none of which I'd trade for anything.
You are screwing yourself and you'll hate yourself for pulling such a dying swan.
You know the SR move was one you shouldn't have done. You need another MSR, an MCX with a Cusker kit (big fun) or a simulator.
These bigger ones sure,a simple smack will break blades and other parts and cost you money where if you did the same thing on an MSR you'd go pick it up and drive on.
That link ? Outstanding..
I'm going through that whole thing today, that guy is a gifted teacher......and so is 46U, he's trying to help you.
Now grow a pair and don't allow yourself to be defeated [>:] Doug

Ribbit 03-06-2010 10:02 AM

I've been flying my MSR since October and haven't broken anything yet (knocking on wood).  I have some spare parts standing by though.

The good thing about the smaller choppers is that they are cheaper to maintain, and crashes are not as expensive.