RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   E-Flite Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/)
-   -   Blade SR / Channel 5 and the "Yellow Wire" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/9659557-blade-sr-channel-5-%22yellow-wire%22.html)

c9403 04-13-2010 10:29 PM

Blade SR / Channel 5 and the "Yellow Wire"

Ok guys, I have heard both. I have heard you can connect the wire to channel 5 using the stock transmitter for the Blade SRand adjust the gain of the gyro.

Other people say that without a "digital" radio, you can not adjust it with the stock transmitter. So, two questions:

1. Can you or can you not adjust the gain with the stock transmitter on channel 5?

2. If you can do remote adjustment of the gyro gain, can you do it "on the fly" or do you have to power down the gyro each time to set the new setting, just like you have to when you manually adjust the gain on the pot?

Thanks in advance,

C

9sec240 04-13-2010 10:32 PM

RE: Blade SR / Channel 5 and the

1. YES. My SR and my CPP2 are both controlled via the TX.
2. Yes you can do it on the fly. No need to power down. You also do not need to power down when adjusting the pot on the gyro. You do however have to power down when making changes to the pot on the proportional mixer.

Solman 04-14-2010 01:17 AM

Your remote gain will not work with the stock tx. You need a DX6I or a DX7.

c9403 04-14-2010 09:01 AM

And here lies my problem. Some will tell you yes, some will tell you no. I thought Iread in the manual that you must power down and power back up for any changes to the gyro gain pot to take effect.

I will go back and re-read to make sure. Until then, is there an expert in the house who can settle this ?

C

Solman 04-14-2010 09:10 AM

As far as adjusting the gain, I would say no power down required. The reason I say this is that I adjust the gain through my DX6I on the fly without powering down. I have down a lot of reading on this as well and still haven't found anything saying that you have to power down. All you are doing is adjusting the sensitivity of the gyro. Unless your instructions says that you need to power down to reset, then the answer is no.

gnd2 04-14-2010 10:29 AM

I believe 9sec240 is correct. Reading the manual it's not hooked up by default and it doesn't say anything about hooking it up. But, the stock TX has a ch5 knob which you should be able to use to control the gain by hooking the gyro up to the gear channel of the receiver.

You have to power down to adjust the proportional, not the gain.

c9403 04-15-2010 07:59 AM

Well, Itried hooking up the wire last night and it did not go well.

First, Ihooked up the yellow wire to the logical place, the far left (when viewed from the tail rotor) pin on the AR6100. Nothing happened, it flew like normal.

Then, Irealized that by reading the pin labels, the far left is AUX1, GEARis buried between two others to the right.

So, Ihooked it up there and flew again. Still flew the same no matter what Idid with Channel 5 knob.

So, Iunhooked the yellow wire and now all I get is a hard left hand spin.

So, Iwent back and checked all the connections and they are all hooked up, but it still spins violently.

Any chance that by hooking up the wire Ifried the Gyro or the tail motor?\

So for me, the answer is simple, with the stock trans and the Blade SR, you can not adjust gain remotely. You need to use the pot, which was working fine for me until NOW!!

C

Solman 04-15-2010 08:38 AM

I personally would not have even tried. If it was possible to do it, they would've done it at the factory.

gnd2 04-15-2010 01:15 PM

I don't see how you could have possibly fried the gyro, but who knows. Maybe the tail motor or esc though. I'm guessing by spinning left you mean counter-clockwise looking down from above (as if you were holding the rudder to the left). That's an indication that the tail rotor isn't doing anything.

Did you connect it with the yellow wire towards the top or the bottom? Are you sure you lined up the connector with all the pins?

c9403 04-15-2010 03:36 PM

G,

The yellow wire was towards the bottom. But why would it not return to normal when Idisconnected it?

Ihave a new tail motor coming from RCBoca, not looking forward to changing that and soldering iton, but hopefully that is all it is.

c

9sec240 04-15-2010 08:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Solman

You are wrong.

ORIGINAL: c9403

Well, I tried hooking up the wire last night and it did not go well.

First, I hooked up the yellow wire to the logical place, the far left (when viewed from the tail rotor) pin on the AR6100. Nothing happened, it flew like normal.

Then, I realized that by reading the pin labels, the far left is AUX 1, GEAR is buried between two others to the right.

So, I hooked it up there and flew again. Still flew the same no matter what I did with Channel 5 knob.

So, I unhooked the yellow wire and now all I get is a hard left hand spin.

So, I went back and checked all the connections and they are all hooked up, but it still spins violently.

Any chance that by hooking up the wire I fried the Gyro or the tail motor?\

So for me, the answer is simple, with the stock trans and the Blade SR, you can not adjust gain remotely. You need to use the pot, which was working fine for me until NOW!!

C

The first time you tried, you hooked your gyro up to the Battery / Bind position. Aux 1 is already being used by your pitch servo so the only two open spots are Gear and Batt / Bind. When plugged in correctly it works perfectly to adjust gain on the gyro. It is quite possible you had it plugged in upside down. The yellow wire needs to be on the signal side of the RX and not the ground side. There are orange wires coming out the plugs on the signal side... black on the ground side.

It would be impossible for you to hurt the gyro or tail servo by plugging the gain plug in wrong in any spot. Double check the connections at the RX. It sounds like maybe you unplugged the gyro when you pulled the gain plug out. If that is not the issue, I would suggest looking around the wiring a bit more. Make sure you did not accidentally cut a wire while removing zip ties or pulled a pin out of a connector.

9sec240 04-15-2010 08:12 PM

I personally would not have even tried. If it was possible to do it, they would've done it at the factory.
The reason it is not done at the factory is because it is very easy to accidentally move the knob and mess up the way it flies. It is very sensitive to adjustments on the TX. To keep things easier for beginners, the remote gyro gain was left off.

I have remote gain running on both my CPP2s, My BSR and my CX3. Every one of them come with the remote gain plug unplugged.

c9403 04-15-2010 11:26 PM

9sec240,

You seem to be the most knowledgeable on this subject.

Iam checking my wireingand all looks normal.

In looking at the diagram for the AR6100, it goes from left to right (when viewed top down from the tail)

1. Battery
2. Throttle
3. Aeileron
4. Elevator
5. Rudder
6. Gear
7. Aux 1

Everything is plugged in and no wires appear cut or broken. Iget all other servos working with stick input, but Inever hear the tail motor do anything other than spin up at a constant speed. Which pin / plug would be unplugged and not letting the tail motor do it's job?

So, is it possible that the tail motor just went out? Ihave a new tail motor on order, but not looking forward to soldering that in, but can do it.

Can you re-use the heat sink on the tail or do you have to order a new one for each new tail motor?

Any other ideas to try to get her back in the air?

Thanks in advance for the help. Ifeel like a fool!

Chris

Solman 04-16-2010 08:27 AM

Did you make sure that your connectors are plugged in the right direction? It doesn't seem like your tail motor is bad if it is spinning and it worked before. The connectors that will affect your tail motor is your rudder/receiver, rudder/gyro, gyro/receiver, and the tail motor going to the esc. Make sure the yellow wires are all on the same side on the receiver. BTW, do you have anything plugged into gear right now?

Solman 04-16-2010 08:33 AM

ORIGINAL: 9sec240

You are wrong.

So you are telling me that you can use the remote gain with a stock transmitter for the SR, eh? Please explain to me how you would do that with a<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: medium; "><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; ">HP6DSM. </span></span>

Ddaddy 04-16-2010 10:49 AM

I used channel five for Gyro gain on the stock TX successfully also. But I've moved on to a DX6i because of the programing ability.<div>
</div><div>9sec probably is the most knowledgeable and experienced with how it works and flying. His advice has never lead me astray.</div><div>
<div>
</div><div>
</div></div>

gnd2 04-16-2010 11:27 AM

G,

The yellow wire was towards the bottom. But why would it not return to normal when I disconnected it?

I have a new tail motor coming from RC Boca, not looking forward to changing that and soldering it on, but hopefully that is all it is.

c

I believe you plugged it in upside down. The yellow wire should be towards the top from what I can tell.

Plugging it in upside down will make it not respond to your control, that's why you didn't notice any change when you turned the knob.

It should have returned to normal when you unplugged it, something else must have happened.

The only way I can imagine anything was damaged is if the gyro interpreted the wrong connection as signaling maximum gain which might have over worked the esc or motor burning it out. I think that is very unlikely though since you probably would have noticed bad tail wag and I don't think it would be behaving as it is now.

It could be possible that the tail motor is worn to the point where it can still spin but just isn't strong enough. See if you can bring the throttle up so that the tail rotor is spinning but the heli is still stationary on the ground and move the rudder to see if the tail speeds up and slows down. That will tell you if the tail is responding at all.

If the tail is responding but just can't keep the heli from spinning counter clockwise, I would replace the motor and see if that helps.

So you are telling me that you can use the remote gain with a stock transmitter for the SR, eh? Please explain to me how you would do that with a <span class=''Apple-style-span'' style=''font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: medium; ''><span class=''Apple-style-span'' style=''font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; ''>HP6DSM. </span> </span>
see my first post.

Solman 04-16-2010 11:59 AM

If there is no percentage on it, how would you know where you are at on the gain and why would you? On my remote, I know exactly what percentage I am at.

c9403 04-16-2010 03:37 PM

Solman,

When Ifirst started this venture, I was looking to find that fine line where the tail wag was almost gone, but I still had good heading lock / control.

If you watch the video on youtube, that guy says that you set the Channel 5 knob in the center at the 12 o'clock position.

If you turn to the left, you go into HH mode and it gets progressively stronger, if you go to the right, you get RATEmode, same thing. (or vice versa)

Iwas just tired of trying to lightly adjust the pot on the gyro and thought that using the transmitter made more sense.

Now,Ihave a mess. Iam truly hoping that it is simply my tail motor that is out.I have heard others say that their motors wore out that quick, so hopefully when my new tail motor gets here Saturday or Monday, she will be back in the air.

Chris

If there is no percentage on it, how would you know where you are at on the gain and why would you? On my remote, I know exactly what percentage I am at.

c9403 04-16-2010 03:39 PM

Solman,

Yep, all connections oriented the same way and tight. Nothing plugged into gear right now.

The tail motor will spin up, but after about 30% throttle, the tail quits holding and the spin to the left starts. That is leading me towards a used up tail motor.

BTW, what goes "bad" in the tail motor? Since everyone says it is not "brushless", Iam assuming the brushes wear down?Or is there some other electronic gizmo inside?

Iknow that on my MSR, Ihave done 3 tail motors so far, and Ifly that heli daily!!!

Chris

Did you make sure that your connectors are plugged in the right direction? It doesn't seem like your tail motor is bad if it is spinning and it worked before. The connectors that will affect your tail motor is your rudder/receiver, rudder/gyro, gyro/receiver, and the tail motor going to the esc. Make sure the yellow wires are all on the same side on the receiver. BTW, do you have anything plugged into gear right now?

Solman 04-16-2010 03:49 PM

From my experience with the MSR, CPP2, micro Mustang, that the small motors don't seem to last long.

Solman 04-16-2010 03:51 PM

Solman,

When Ifirst started this venture, I was looking to find that fine line where the tail wag was almost gone, but I still had good heading lock / control.

If you watch the video on youtube, that guy says that you set the Channel 5 knob in the center at the 12 o'clock position.

If you turn to the left, you go into HH mode and it gets progressively stronger, if you go to the right, you get RATEmode, same thing. (or vice versa)

Iwas just tired of trying to lightly adjust the pot on the gyro and thought that using the transmitter made more sense.

Now,Ihave a mess. Iam truly hoping that it is simply my tail motor that is out.I have heard others say that their motors wore out that quick, so hopefully when my new tail motor gets here Saturday or Monday, she will be back in the air.

Chris

Ok, I'll buy that. I never cared for that transmitter due to it being so limited. That is why I switched to the DX6I.
<br type="_moz" />

9sec240 04-16-2010 09:53 PM

I would think that if the tail was spinning that it should be ok. Is the trim on the TX moved off center? Did you mess with the proportional mixer on the bottom of the heli (ESC)? Either of those will make it spin out of control.

9sec240 04-16-2010 09:56 PM

From my experience with the MSR, CPP2, micro Mustang, that the small motors don't seem to last long.
I have not replaced a motor on either of my MSRs, either of my MCXs, Either of my CPP2s, my BSR, micro Mustang, micro Sukhoi, micro Cessna, micro J3 Cub, or Vapor.

Solman 04-17-2010 12:33 AM

Well then, you've been lucky. I've had to replace the main motor and tail motor on the MSR once. My tail motor on my CPP2 failed on me in flight once. I believe my Mustang's motor is starting to give way now.