Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

NitroPlanes 65 inch clipped-wing Cub.

Last week I decided that I wanted a winter plane. Something that I could put skis on and be docile (for when you can't feel your thumbs), while still being aerobatic (after that hot cup of coffee). Something easy to transport and put together, but not a parkflyer. I have plenty of 3D profile planes, but I wanted something else. "Why not a Cub?" I thought. I figured I would check NitroPlanes website as I have had a few of their planes and liked them. I saw this Cub and decided it was worth a go. Pics looked good and I love the blue and white clipped-wing scheme.

I got it for $120 shipped to my door. I also ordered a Monster Power 32 from HobbyPartz. I will be running it on a 4S 3,700 mAh pack. It should be good for unlimited vertical. I got the Cub this morning (took less than a week), so I only got a few minutes to look at it before having to leave for work. Quality looks great but I will wait until tonight to unpack everything before making that call.

I was pleasantly surprised that you get dummy cylinders, even though they are not shown in the parts photo. I almost ordered a different cowl just to get them. Now I just need some Cub wheels.

It has rather large full-length ailerons for what it is.
    When you stare into the abyss, sometimes the abyss stares right back into you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: NitroPlanes 65 inch clipped-wing Cub.

Ok, finally got everything out of the box and I am very impressed. The covering job is perfect and, I kid you not, equal in quality to Great Planes and Horizon product.

Also I surprise is that the Cub comes with fully articulating scale landing gear, not the weird spring and wire deal shown in the pictures.

The airframe is exceptionally light. The fuselage is mostly thin plywood, and weighs half what you would expect it to looking at it.

Also surprising for a NitroPlanes ARF is that all of the slots have the covering pre-cut and even the inner windshield frames are painted black.

So, initial quality is a 10/10. Looks like a steal for $99. Construction to follow.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aileron servos. I used mini Hitec HS-225BB's, as they save me about an ounce each over standard size servos.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hatch installed. The fit isn't the greatest ever, but it is ok.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After looking at the included aileron hardware, I decided to use what was provided. Everything looks fine except the EZ links. I had to remove one after putting it on, and it quickly broke in half where it clips onto the pushrod. The plastic they are made out of is exceptionally brittle, so I am glad I caught that now. I replaced them with Dubro ones I had lying around. Pushrods and control rods are stock.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Made some more progress. The gear is really neat but I think I will need to substitute the rubber bands for O-rings or some more resilient type of elastic. I will be better able to tell once it has the weight of the rest of the gear in it. So far quality is still 10 out of 10. The included wheels were rubber (surprising, expected foam) but I swapped them out for Dubro Cub wheels.

The strut design is interesting as they key together. Also, I really like how easy they come off of the fuse and then the wings. The middle support also allows them to stay connected to the wing halves and fold flat.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got the Monster Power 32 from HobbyPartz, here it is mounted. It is a tad too short for proper cowl to prop spacing and required a few washers to move it forward.

I fitted the cowl and dressed up the dummy cylinders with some silver paint. Prop is a 13x6.5 and the combo puts out 650 watts at 40 amps. I might try a 14x7 as I have some leeway on the ESC.

I doubled up the rubber bands on the gear (they give you plenty) and it stiffens it right up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The elevator and rudder servos. The radio tray has pre-drilled servo screw holes, but the slots are too long. Some spare wood needed to be glued into one end of each slot to fit properly. New holes had to be drilled on that end. On a plus side, the pre-installed pushrod tubes line up perfectly with the provided EZ-connectors once the servos are installed.

The included pushrods were rusty, so I swapped them with spare music wire I had lying around for my 120-inch Ta-154 project. Also, the manual wants you to use EZ-links at the control horns. I soldered on clevises instead.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm finishing up the Cub and putting on the landing gear leg covers. For some reason (and most of the NP Cubs have this) the covers are too short. On a real Cub the covers go all the way to the wheel. So being the anal modeler I am, I decided to extend them. I used spare covering that came from cutting out the aileron servo pockets.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I still need to secure the ESC and establish the battery placement, but here is the finished process. Weight without battery is 4.6 pounds (2.1 kg) which is what NitroPlanes site tells me. RTF weight with the Flight Power 4S 3,700 mAh pack is 5.5 pounds. This battery may be a bit large capacity wise and I could probably go for something smaller, but it what I had lying around. The Cub wheels I put on it also added a few ounces I'm sure. Hope to flight test it tomorrow or Saturday. At this weight I am looking at 118 watts per pound. I will bring a couple of props to try, however. Video to follow!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I mounted the ESC on a piece of balsa that I glued to the fuse formers opposite the door. Nice and out of the way. With the FlightPower 4S 3,700 mAh pack in the battery tray slid aft as far as it will go, the c.g. feels spot on. I will get a better idea when I fly it tomorrow.

The door needed some work to fit acceptably. I removed/relocated/added some of the tabs so that it laid flat as well as added some wood to the door itself to stiffen it.

I used some clear packing tape to attach the gear covers from below. The stuff they give you needs to be cut, but as soon as you try to the blue paint flakes off. The clear tape is tough and invisible, so it should work out.

The front windshield fit is decent.

There are no openings to let the air flowing into the fuse/over the batter and ESC so I would imagine it could case the side door to blow out. To remedy I cut the covering off of the last opening between bulkheads near the tail.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got two good flights on the Cub today. It was very windy out but it handled it well. It flies just like a Cub. You need coordinated rudder and ailerons for clean turns. It side slips very nicely (especially in the dead crosswind I had today). I am very happy with the plane and think it is a great deal for the price. 9/10

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-KGPlbmuKg[/youtube]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Verry nice looking cub. I baught one for my dad for christmas he loves cubs.glad to know that the plane is a nice put together well rounded plane thanks for posting.

I've been flying one of these for a couple of weeks now and I love this plane.
    I powered mine with a Monster Power 46 running on 5s and the performance is just great.
    The guys at my flying field are blown away at the quality and looks of this cub.
    It will slow fly like the real thing but when I power it up this thing is just crazy.
    I love it!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've been watching your progress. Sounds like a great kit. I've been thinking of purchasing one myself. How did the engine work out for power. Will it actually go vertical?Would you suggest any changes other than the servos? The more I think about the more I like it. $120 delivered sounds great. I've got a DX7 and a 6 channle Rx....I'm getting a itchy trigger finger.Can you recommend a good supply for the battery...those gotta be pricey.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My 4S system with the Power 32 yields almost unlimited vertical. However, that battery is older and I am sure it would be better with a fresh pack. Either way mine has way more power than you could ever use in a Cub.

The aluminum tabs that hold the gear to the fuse tend to bend/distort over time. I would recommend swapping them out for steel ones that you can get from Home Depot for a few cents.

Go to HobbyPartz.com or HobbyCity.com. They have the best deals on motors, esc's and batteries.