Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Can I replace stock lipo battery for Typhoon 2?

Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Can I replace stock lipo battery for Typhoon 2?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:37 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can I replace stock lipo battery for Typhoon 2?

My original lipo batteries that came with my Parkzone Typhoon 2 have kicked the bucket and they didn't seem to last very long. Stock replacement batteries are rather expensive (Parkzone lipo 11.1 volt 1800 mAh) so I bought a Thunder Tigre battery of the same voltage and type at a much cheaper price. Now the problem is that the stock lipo balancer / charger flashes error light when I try to charge the new battery. I set it at reccomended 1.8 a and it just won't charge. Not sure why since the Parkzone and TT battery specs are exactly the same. The cheapy stock charger did a great job charging the old PZ batteries that came with the plane. Stumped.
Anyway, the third photo shown here is my Hobbico Accu-Cycle Elite which is supposed to handle Lipo batteries up to 6 cells. Read the directions but don't quite understand how to hook the battery up and which end to charge ...the input end or output end. I haven't tried yet fearing damage to the battery. Any information offered here will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70053.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1571097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82009.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1571098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72816.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1571099  
Old 02-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can I replace stock lipo battery for Typhoon 2?

Possibility the balance plug on your new pack is not wired in the same order as the PZ pack was.
Take a multi meter and read off the voltages on the plug. On a fully charged pack your readings should be 4.2/8.4/12.6
More then likely the new pack has the wiring flipped so instead of reading for example ground/1st cell/2nd cell/3rd cell, it's 3rd cell/2nd/cell/1st cell/ ground.

Up to the manufacturer to decide which way they plug the wires into the balance connector. IF it's backwards from how PZ set up theirs, you'll get an error.
Don't put a lot of faith in the stock PZ charger.....

As for your Hobbico, it's pretty straight forward. Page 17 of the manual gives you the proper sequence for charging a lipo. It will connect to the main leads on your pack.
You'll have to have a correct adapter cable, banana plugs on one end for the charger, and one to match your battery plug on the other end.

NOTE: The Hobbico is NOT a balance charger. You need to balance a lipo for longest life and best performance. That's why your PZ charger had you plug the balance connector into it to charge your pack.
You will need a stand alone balancer. No biggie. Look up an Astro BLINKY. It plugs right into the balance connector on your battery. Does all the work for you.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:27 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Can I replace stock lipo battery for Typhoon 2?

Thank you Glacier Girl...very helpful information.