Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Eflite t-34 mentor canopy fly off during flight

i have been flying my mentor for a while and never had this canopy situation until yesterday my canopy flew right off while doing a vertical pull. I see other people have this issue with the magnets not centered correctly from factory. Now i am stuck with a cracked canopy and have a new one placed on backorder. Does anyone know of anyone else that this happened to and what can be done to prevent this with my new canopy? (without using tape)[:-]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Eflite t-34 mentor canopy fly off during flight

I've flown my E-flite T-34 for a while and thankfully have never had this issue except once on a hard landing (first landing with full flaps on the T-34)...the canopy just popped off. It was my fault, I hadn't put the canopy back on the plane correctly. My T-34 has a latch installed on it directly behind the canopy to prevent it from flying off. The guyI bought it from had never flown it becasue he was getting out of the hobby, but he installed a latch similar to the one that's pictured below from Hobby Lobby. I can't speak to how easy it is to install it but I know that it works wonders. Hope it helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db85215.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	1606714   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db85215.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	1606715  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Eflite t-34 mentor canopy fly off during flight

I had the eflite RV-9 model and had a similar problem. I am not sure about the T-34 but my RV-9 had no air outlet and with speed build up the canopy would depart the aircraft. I solved my issue by cutting cooling slots in the belly of the aircraft. That way positive pressure does not build up and over come the magnets holding the canopy on. Also provides proper cooling for your ESC and Battery. I have two Eflite models and both are very good flying models but for some reason eflite does not provide cooling slots that other model mfg's do and I think that they try and hold to scale as much as possible.