Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

I need your help with my Extra 260

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

I need your help with my Extra 260

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 06:59 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default I need your help with my Extra 260

Guys I need your assistance here. I bought a very nice 39" span elec. Extra 260 from Value Hobby, but the motor mount seems to be too long, as when the G Force E450 (28-36-1120KV) outrunner motor is mounted to the motor box firewall approximately 1" of the motor protrudes ouside the cowl. This is my first electric ARF so I don't know if this is the norm. I am wondering if I will have to shorten the motor mounting box so as to accomodate all of the motor inside the cowl, as is the norm with glow / gas models.

Karol
Old 07-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I need your help with my Extra 260

I looked at the model and the motor on the Value Hobby website. Some of the prop adapter will have to protrude but not an inch of it. If you haven't glued the motor box in yet it shouldn't be too hard to shorten it. You might look at moving the cowl forward too. I can't tell from the pics how much leeway there is in that respect or if having the motor that far forward may cause probs in getting the CG right.

CR
Old 07-01-2011, 10:02 AM
karolh

ORIGINAL: Charley

I looked at the model and the motor on the Value Hobby website. Some of the prop adapter will have to protrude but not an inch of it. If you haven't glued the motor box in yet it shouldn't be too hard to shorten it. You might look at moving the cowl forward too. I can't tell from the pics how much leeway there is in that respect or if having the motor that far forward may cause probs in getting the CG right.

CR
Thanks for responding as I had just about given up hope of anyone doing so. I have already fixed the motor box to the fuse as I never anticipated this happening. It's not too major an undertaking to cut it and relocate the firewall. The positioning of the cowl gives no leeway for any possible forward adjustment so that is not an option. It is my intention to shorten the m/box so that the prop hub extends 3/8" past the cowl, and I can shift stuff around inside the fuse to get the CG to where I want it.

Karol
Old 07-02-2011, 12:11 AM
karolh

Latest update. I shortened the motor box by 7/8" and fitted a new ply firewall, which was not too difficult and now the motor fits inside the cowl.

Karol
Old 08-09-2011, 06:12 PM
dunahoo

How does the plane fly? I have the same plane except I have the G Force G10 motor. It came out to 34oz, a bit heavy I think. It likes to fly fast but tends to get mushy at slower speeds, I fly basic IMAC type maneuvers only no 3D. I'm thinking of changing to the 450 but would like to hear how yours is flying.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:06 PM
karolh

Mine has an all up weight of 36 ounces and is balanced at 2.5" from the leading edge at the fuse as a starter CG position. Where is your CG located. I have not yet maidened the model as the weather here plus other management (wife) stuff keeps getting in the way, but hopefully tomorrow will be the day. Will give a flight report on just how it performed.

Karol
Old 08-10-2011, 05:58 PM
dunahoo

My CG is about 2.75 inches back from leading edge at the fuse. Seems to fly ok, needs a bit of down elevator when inverted as the nose falls quickly. I thinking of going back another 1/4" but I want to get some more flights on her first, only have 6 flights so far. She really likes a bit of speed if not the nose drops in the turns and looses a lot of speed. Good luck with the maiden!

Jeff
Old 08-11-2011, 06:59 PM
karolh

Sounds like you are a bit on the nose heavy side. More than likely I will have to push my CG back some, but I will wait until I do the maiden to see how she behaves. Will tell you how it goes.

Karol
Old 08-24-2011, 05:58 PM
dunahoo

I got some more flights on the extra. Moved the CG to 3" and it made a big difference. It's a totally different plane. Inverted now needs only slight down elevator. I'm very happy with my set up now.

Jeff
Old 08-24-2011, 06:53 PM
karolh

The CG set at 3'' seems to be just about correct for me too, as at this position the model is quite a nice flier. As my first electric model I am quite happy with it.

Karol