Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Dynaflight Super Decathlon - Need help selecting Electrics

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Dynaflight Super Decathlon - Need help selecting Electrics

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Red_Jeepster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynaflight Super Decathlon - Need help selecting Electrics

I have a GP Dynaflight Super Decathlon kit waiting to begin in January. This is a larger bird, 17 lbs. 89Inch wingspan. Normally I would power it with a 30 or 35cc Gas engine. But, I have been considering electric recently. This will be only my second electric plane in 35+ years of building and flying R/C. I have a new Calypso which I enjoy - for many reasons. Of the first things I noticed, which all you electric flyers know... NO MESS! I also like not having to fight with a cold engine in the winter!

I am in need of info. Motor type, size, battery, ESC, etc.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:54 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Dynaflight Super Decathlon - Need help selecting Electrics

A rough "rule of thumb"
17Lb (all up weight)
150 Watt per LB (Aerobatic but not 3D)
~ 2500-2600Watt motor.
This falls just within use of a 6S LiPo, which I would at least explore, due to the cost and availability of motors and SECs that are rated for higher voltages.
From strictly a current stand point, an 8 to 10S battery might be more preferable if the other variables work out.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...45kv-EFLM4160A
Is an example of a motor that might work if the higher voltages are used. (two 5 or 6S LiPos in series)
If an external BEC is used, remember to tap the battery that has the negative lead in common with the SEC negative lead.
Many of the external BECs are rated at up to 6S input only.

Working backwards, the maximum prop size may dictate that you adjust the desired KV motor range and voltage.
 9 to 12,000 RPM is usually a desired range for electric motors, due to such things as Prop RPM max ratings.