RE: Sig/Herr Eng. - Starlite Build - Adding Alerions
I've made quite a bit of progress since I posted last time, I've completed all the frame up and am starting to cover the aircraft. However, before go on, I had a delima as to how I was going to hinge the rudder, elevator and alerions, and I remember in the past someone like SIG made iron on cloth/tape hinges. I couldn't find the SIG stuff, but went Walmart an purchased some frabric "iron-on" mending tape (see pic' below). It's 1.25" wide and 36" long, and I believe it was less than $2.00. Well, got home and tried it on two scrap peices of wood and to my delight I was able to iron the material and it worked perfectly as a hinge. However I was a little leary that it might pull apart, "NOPE!", I pulled on the two peices of scrap balsa and couldn't pull them apart. YEA it worked! If you zoom in on the picture of the entire airframe, you can see the small strips of iron-on fabric I cut to use for the hinges. ALL the control surfaces will be angled on one side only at on a plane this small its nearly impossible to get the iron-on tape into the crevis for the hinges, therefore I opted to sand ONLYone side and ironed the tape to the "flat" side of the hinged surfaces.
Now that we have that out of the way, I had to decide how much material to cut off the trailing edge of the wings in order to accomodate alerions. I took a couple of measurements from my SIG Four Star 40 and determined that I needed to take about 1/2 inch off my trailing edge of my ribs. I Stacked the ribs up about four at a time and proceeded to cut 1/2" of trailing edge off of each wing rib. The pain in the rear part was that, ALL the parts on this plane are lazer cut, and I had to cut a notch in the bottom and top of each rib'strailing edge in order to accommodate the top and bottom trailing edge sheeting. Needless to say they didn't come out perfect, but once I got the wing framed up and sanded the trailing edge sheeting flush the entire lenth of the wing, everything started to look pretty good. Next I took standard "Alerion Stock" and determined how much of the standard stock I would need to cut off lengthwise. I haven't cut the alerions to width yet, I believe I'm going to have to cut them using a steal ruler, as I don't have a miniature bandsaw. You should be able to notice from the picture that essentially I cut the width of the "trailing edge" off the wing ribs to accommodate the alerions, thus the alerions will be the remaing 1/2" or so.
I had some "Solar Film - Solite" Covering left over from another small kit I made so I decided to just go ahead and use the same two colors, a tranparent blue and a transparent yellow.