Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Hobby King Yak 54 30ep

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:50 AM
ATVAlliance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby King Yak 54 30ep

Wife bought me one of these for Christmas and I spent my vacation between Christmas and New Years putting it together. I have alarger gas Yak54 that I havent flown yet and wanteda smaller one that would get me used to this type of airframe...soI talked her into it.

I already had all of the electronics so it definitely was a budget build. I just have to say that even though I am really new to the hobby(just my 2nd full year flying)...this is one of the best planes I have in my hangar. I flew it for the first time yesterday and was blown away by how great a flier it is...especially for a cheap HK plane.

The plane is very well put together for one that comes in at this price point. The hardware was pretty good...I only replaced the CAhinges with better CAhinges. Otherwise I used all of the rest of the hardware.

The finish on this plane is excellent...and since its EP...no worries that it will start coming undone.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18224

I powered it with a Turnigy 3548 900kv motor which is a PERFECT fit for this plane and a 11x5.5 prop (motor calls for 11x6 on 5 cells but allI could find locally was the 5.5 pitch one) and it pulls about 42 amps at almost 800 watts! Needless to say it has plenty of power for my skill set.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3888

Again...from my spare parts bin I found a 100 amp ESC that was overkill...but it was already there not being used. Had to use a BEC since this ESC has none...again, parts bin.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3735

I used cheap HXT 900 servos all the way around and at some point I will probably want to at least replace the rudder and elevator to something better...but again for my skillset the cheap 900's fly it fine.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?idProduct=662

And power is from Blue Lipo 5s 4000mah 30c battery(big battery but works in this plane very nicely!

http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-2200mah-5s1p-185-30c.html

Overall I would give this plane a solid 9/10 or possibly even 10/10 once i get more time with it. The only negatives I found was that on my 4th flight, upon landing one of the wheels hit a tuft of turf causing me to snap the landing gear out and one of the half wheel pants punched a hole through the covering on one wing. It is VERYlight...which most often means VERYFRAGILE.

I probably should have opted to wait to fly this plane in spring...after a few mowing of the runway had passed, giving a smoother field to land on. But I couldnt wait that long and decided to give it a go.

Actually...its probably best that it happened (snaping the gear out) because there was no way to reinforce the gear attachment area as it was. But now that its been broken...I can gusset the inside of the block with triangle stock and make it stronger without adding much weight...maybe a couple grams at most. So to make it better...you have to break it first! lol

Also...the motor box that this plane uses will require a prop collet. I would assume that one could go with a larger motor and do a custom standoff for it. But the included box works perfect for the motor listed above. Its just you cant use the bolt on prop adapter with this method. I dont like friction collets and prefer bolt on adapters...but with this plane I wanted to use the stock motor box which already had down/right thrust built in. Glad I did because this thing doesnt torque at all on take off or instant full throttle. Its just smooth as silk going from any throttle position.

So, if anyone wants a great looking electric powered yak54...this is a good one. I wish I had a 2nd one to put up for when this one wears out. It seems that I hear people talk about all of the best planes they have owned in their past are no longer being made.This is defintitely a KEEPER!

CG is right on the spar, 100mm back from leading edge. Flies inverted with no input...straight and level.

Ok...I'll stop now. Just too excited to have a plane go together this well and fly a maiden with only 1 click of up and nothing else! Perfect plane for cheap!

PS...I appologize if this plane has already been mentioned here. I tried to search for a build thread but didnt see one. So, I thought that someone might find the info useful to put together one of these with all of the parts I used that work great in this ARF build. I didnt include anything about RX because we all know where that road leads to. But any full range 4 channel RX will be fine of course. Brand is up to the user.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 AM
ATVAlliance

Default RE: Hobby King Yak 54 30ep

I also forgot to add to the above.

This plane comes with a really nice fiberglass cowl and faux motor cover (I didnt use the cover as there wasnt enough room and I didnt want to modify anything to make it work.

And also has a nice canopy with latch.  No magnets.  Only way this canopy will come off is in a crash.

This ARF looks to be of better quality than most things I see on HK or even Nitro Planes or any of the cheaper sites.

I think I will be removing the half pants (but boy do they look cool) in order to install some bigger wheels.  While the wheels that come with the plane look awesome.  They arent intended for fields as rough as ours can be at times.  And I would rather have ugly wheels on it and not have to worry about too small a wheel tearing the main gear out as I did yesterday.  So loosing the pants and adding a larger wheel should be an even trade off as far as weight goes.

Cant wait to fly this one again, and again, and again! 

Old 12-29-2012, 12:37 PM
capitalB
My Feedback: (36)

I got the same plane, just finshed it. Using a 4240 530kv 790w turning a 14-6. 55 amp ESC, 1800 5s lipo and 19 gram metal-gear digitals..Turns the prop at 6000 rpm at 47 amps. I think that Hobby-King balsa planes a best kept secret. I here they use the same factory as Pilot. The quality of this Yak is amazing. I have a 35% and 30% Yak-54s, now a matching little-one!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:24 PM
ATVAlliance

Funny you should post in this thread as I was out in the garage the ther night and nocked a broom over by accident...landed right smack on the cowl.  Chipped some paint, my stupidity for having it just laying about. 

I have flown this plane a lot and still like it as much as I did from day one  Aside fro the weak lading gear, everything else is fine and  has held up well.

I like having it for when I dont feel like putting my 50cc Yak in the air.  It flies a lot like my larger gasser.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:16 PM
capitalB
My Feedback: (36)

The Yak-Attack!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77230.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	1836010  
Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 AM
ATVAlliance

Like the bike workstand.  Wish I had one of those when I was into bikes.  Always had a sore back from leaning over working on it.  lol

Looks like you have a nice collection of planes.  The addiction is strong in you!   Mirrors myself.  lol

PS...I just reread my last post, I think its time for a new keyboard for the home PC.  I know Im not a great typist...but I rarely make that many typos!