Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Super Cub

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 05:28 AM
DarrellMims

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Cub

Does anyone have a E-Flight Super Cub 25e flying yet ?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Super Cub

Not yet. Should be done in a couple weeks. I am gone a lot of the time. Will post when done.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:11 AM
DarrellMims

Im slowly working on it but still need servos and light kit and the interior
Old 08-26-2011, 09:20 PM
mark50b

I am seriously thinking of getting one, but I have a problem with transporting it in a car.  Does the wing easily detaches?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:45 AM
DarrellMims

I started putting servos in this weekend ,found out the ailerons were a little bigger than the mount (im using HiTec ) so I cut off the outer edge and slid them into place . Also BE WARE ,the wing tips are covered with not much over hang so be carefull shrinking the covering . I got mine too hot and it pulled away so I had to recover them. I got the interior kit but didnt see a reciever mount plate in it like the instruction book says but no problem . The interior kit has no instructions so you have to figure it out by trial and error .I soldered a plate of brass on to the lower struct attach point so I dont have to use nuts there ,just threaded it and now its just a matter of bolting them down . I dont think the wings will be that hard to remove or install each time . I would leave the struts fastened to the wing and remove them at the fuselage. Theres just two nylon bolts that attach the wings on along with wires and thats all. I did find a support loose at the fuselage servo tray and glued that back on. You have to buy extra white lights for the Tail and landing lights to halve enough or use one light in the wing for landing light. I went to Radio Shack and got a LED and made my own but you also have to install a 100 watt resister in line with it. I also found that the flaps are covered with corrogated material that makes two that are just alike ,either both are lefts or both rights. HAvent got to the tail wheel yet but it seems a little flimsy. (the springs)
Old 09-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Hellcat716

Has anyone attached the 2-56 rods to the tail and stabiliizer yet. Not sure how it is suppose to work without some angled attachments for the rods? Do you have to bend the 2-56 rods? I am thinking if so, this is a very poor design. Help.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:52 AM
DarrellMims

ORIGINAL: Hellcat716

Has anyone attached the 2-56 rods to the tail and stabiliizer yet. Not sure how it is suppose to work without some angled attachments for the rods? Do you have to bend the 2-56 rods? I am thinking if so, this is a very poor design. Help.
The plasyic rod ends have a break line that will adjust to the angle needed to hook up to the tail . Their in the the bag with all the other plastic pieces.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Hellcat716

Thanks. I did not notice the break line. You would think the manual would explain the process.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:46 AM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

I just maidened my Super Cub and it went very well. Easy straight take off. The Power 32 is a perfect match for this plane. Differential is definitely needed for smooth turns. The manual explains how much to set. This cub, as most do, tends to float in on landing. Set it down on the mains and let it roll out. The tail wheel with its very weak springs leaves a lot to be desired and ground handling is not very good especially in any wind. I plan on replacing mine with a Sullivan tail wheel assembly. That is, IMO, the only problem with this ARF. Cockpit kit looks great and is worth the extra time to install. The lights on the other hand, while pretty cool, aren't the easiest install and are hard to see in daylight. The finished plane is a beauty and attracts a lot of attention at the field. If you like scale cubs, this one is a keeper.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:34 AM
DarrellMims

ORIGINAL: skorman

I just maidened my Super Cub and it went very well. Easy straight take off. The Power 32 is a perfect match for this plane. Differential is definitely needed for smooth turns. The manual explains how much to set. This cub, as most do, tends to float in on landing. Set it down on the mains and let it roll out. The tail wheel with its very weak springs leaves a lot to be desired and ground handling is not very good especially in any wind. I plan on replacing mine with a Sullivan tail wheel assembly. That is, IMO, the only problem with this ARF. Cockpit kit looks great and is worth the extra time to install. The lights on the other hand, while pretty cool, aren't the easiest install and are hard to see in daylight. The finished plane is a beauty and attracts a lot of attention at the field. If you like scale cubs, this one is a keeper.
I agree with you on this about the lights. I had to cut some of the tip material away to let the resistor on the LED to slide in . The resistors are too big to let them be flush in the wing ,landing lights stick out because the tubes are too small. to allow the resistor to go int them. And the wires are just too small ,they should make a kit with the wires the right length to fit the cub and correct number of white lights. The interior kit is nice and looks great, I used the Grey seats because they look better than the kit seats , there painted and not real looking. .Tail wheel , yep it looks week !
Old 09-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Ramos02

Got the first flight on my cub today. Very nice first off. Got alot of attention at the field.
Needed a little trim here and there but got it trimed out a little. Only had one battery. Had a few problems with the wheels. During taxi testing the right wheel fell off bc of the set screw coming loose. Fixed it and checked the left b4 testing again. Left was tight. ...... ... I thought! ! !
Did loop. Roll. And a hammer head to get a feel for it. Next thing I know I hear my spotter tell me my other wheel just fell off. So my first landing was hectic with a first flight and now first one wheel landing. Got it down slowly ,using flaps and no power. Still flipped it on landing but it was a gental flip.
Plane flys very well from what I can tell from the one flight. I don't have the lights or cockpit kit.
I'm running a 32 motor. And 3600 lipo 14.8v 4 cell.
It's a sport plane. Floats good. But does have the tendancey to wanna tip stall slightly. Rudder is needed with this plane. It's nice plane to have in your hanger. I can't wait to get more flights on this thing. Also what a pain in the ass it is to put on and take off the wings.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:32 PM
skorman

I agree with you about taking the wings on and off so I'm just leaving them on. It fits in my pathfinder fully assembled.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Ramos02

Yea it doesn't fit in my Hyundai Tucson. It's shy by maybe 5in. .
My plans are to get some flight time logged with the cub but also work on getting the eflite champ next.
Maybe after winter.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Ramos02

2ed flight not so good. Tip stalled right on take off. Cowling is replaceable. But the airframe behind the left flap is cracked. The right wing tip is also cracked. All fixable but for me with 2 jobs 65hrs a week and have a rc jet rally to go to at the end of the month it won't be fixed. It took me 2 months to build. Now I'm canceling my trip. The aircraft has a really bad tendancy to tip stall. Gotta get it movin fast. It will get repaired but I don't think it will be anytime soon.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:09 PM
DarrellMims

Maybe we need to check that washout on the tips and adjust it with the wing struts ! Sorry about that ,I know these ARF's can give you fits sometimes and they are not an easy fix
Old 09-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Ramos02

So thanx to my local hobby shop I got all the replacement parts fast. Re built the cub and now just waitting for a day off from both jobs to sneak a flight in again. Plus waitting for good not to windy of weather. Or I'll just have to wait till I get to Titusville Pa for the rc jet rally at the end of the month.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Hellcat716

We did the maiden today and the plane flies exactly like a super cub. Aileron differential is a must. Flaps worked great. We did not notice any tendency for the plane to tip stall. Stalls were a non event. Using the e-flite poerw 25 seemed to have good power at our elevation of 2200 feet. I am using a 4 cell 3300 Mah battery and for a seven minute flight used about 2500 Mah. E-Flite has done a very good job on this one. Shoulkd be a keeper.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81423.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	1664849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63191.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	1664850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52099.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	1664851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv62335.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	1664852  
Old 09-20-2011, 06:40 PM
skorman

Great photos! I agree with you on its flying characteristics. A real pleasure to fly.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:51 AM
DarrellMims

If I had to do this again I would not put the light kit in . Wires are too small plus it was not thought out properly. I ceheked the wing tip wash out and it seems to be about the same as the root section ,maybe 1 * in . I plan on flighing this Saturday and checking out what everyone else is seeing in the air. Battery install is a little tight and the cover is tricky to install. Well we will see what happens.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:53 PM
DarrellMims

Well first flight didnt go so well. The plane had plenty of power, but let me start at the begining. First got to the field and put the wings on and got ready to fly. Battery was realy hard to get situated in the compartment ,took several trys. Finally got that and had no throttle responce. This after setting everything back in the shop a couple of weeks back. Found out that if I reset the sub trim up to H100 %and setting the travel to 150% high and low it worked just fine (the first indication that something was wrong) Then re bound the radio to make sure everything was set. Got ready to fly again and taxied out checked throws and correct direction . Did acouple of turns and then lined up ,added throttle ,corrected drift and off it went. Climbed a little steep added down elevator and pulled throttle back to just above half and at 50 foot to 75 ft, rudder kicked the nose to the right . Added left rudder but the plane kept going to the right like a simi hammer head, did a few funny things and I had no control except to try and get the nose up to soften the crash. broke the left wing tip ,pulled the wings loose from the fuselage . Bent the wing tube , broke the fuselage ,wing attach (damage to the upper fuse, )and pulled out the right wing bolt. Tail wheel area had damage ,everythig is repairable just going to take time. And I dont have time right now. Oh and the reciever was blinking like it lost its bind and the rudder servo had went extreem left like it stripped the servo arm which it didnt , it turned 90* to the left pulling the rudder that way. The plane went Rt and the rudder when on the ground went left. I had somedealings with this reciever before when I installed it in my new Mustang 32e.It just didnt seem to do right ,binding that is. I called Horizon and the Tech there told me that if the reciever is blinking fast like that and ground range check was good then everything should be OK. Well I had yards of range and if i turnrd the plane on and saw it blinking (reciever)then unpluged the battery and plugged it back in it would go steady. so this is the first time I used it and wished I had sent it in to be checked out. OH but I will now.Calling them tomorrow.And the distance from me to the plane after the auger in was about 100ft. Im sure I had radio problems and didnt get to wring it out.I fly five other planes on this Transmitter and have no problems with them!.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:43 PM
DarrellMims

ORIGINAL: DarrellMims

Well first flight didnt go so well. The plane had plenty of power, but let me start at the begining. First got to the field and put the wings on and got ready to fly. Battery was realy hard to get situated in the compartment ,took several trys. Finally got that and had no throttle responce. This after setting everything back in the shop a couple of weeks back. Found out that if I reset the sub trim up to H100 %and setting the travel to 150% high and low it worked just fine (the first indication that something was wrong) Then re bound the radio to make sure everything was set. Got ready to fly again and taxied out checked throws and correct direction . Did acouple of turns and then lined up ,added throttle ,corrected drift and off it went. Climbed a little steep added down elevator and pulled throttle back to just above half and at 50 foot to 75 ft, rudder kicked the nose to the right . Added left rudder but the plane kept going to the right like a simi hammer head, did a few funny things and I had no control except to try and get the nose up to soften the crash. broke the left wing tip ,pulled the wings loose from the fuselage . Bent the wing tube , broke the fuselage ,wing attach (damage to the upper fuse, )and pulled out the right wing bolt. Tail wheel area had damage ,everythig is repairable just going to take time. And I dont have time right now. Oh and the reciever was blinking like it lost its bind and the rudder servo had went extreem left like it stripped the servo arm which it didnt , it turned 90* to the left pulling the rudder that way. The plane went Rt and the rudder when on the ground went left. I had somedealings with this reciever before when I installed it in my new Mustang 32e.It just didnt seem to do right ,binding that is. I called Horizon and the Tech there told me that if the reciever is blinking fast like that and ground range check was good then everything should be OK. Well I had yards of range and if i turnrd the plane on and saw it blinking (reciever)then unpluged the battery and plugged it back in it would go steady. so this is the first time I used it and wished I had sent it in to be checked out. OH but I will now.Calling them tomorrow.And the distance from me to the plane after the auger in was about 100ft. Im sure I had radio problems and didnt get to wring it out.I fly five other planes on this Transmitter and have no problems with them!.
I also have found a bad bearing in the new motor , The prop was broke and when I was checking out everything I noticed a hum in the motor like a out of balance or bad bearing ( with the prop off )
Old 11-07-2011, 10:15 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That plane looks great I think I'll be getting one.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:14 AM
DarrellMims

ORIGINAL: DarrellMims

Got my reciever back and the only thing that was wrong (so they say )was the connection between the reciever and the remote reciever. so i got a new wire. But I still have a problem with brown out /binding so Im not going to use this reciever ever again. No replacement on anything from Horizon , not a word. So I patched up the wing tip and fuselage and will attempt another flight soon ,I'll be using a AR500 reciever from my Bf109 . If this thing doesnt act right ,then it's time to fly it into a bon fire and let it turn to ashes. It could be a good plane I think ,just needs some improvements which should have been incorporated from the start.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:59 AM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Love the size and looks, but the video sure seems to make it wayy too fast and not scale at all. also the landing seems hot.is it too heavy or is something else not right?

This is just observing from the video, perhaps other pilots have better resutls.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:09 AM
DarrellMims

Well The Cub is History . For some unkown reason the plane doesn't want to fly. This second flight resulted in a nose in from about 30 ft. Control chek was fine and range was OK , as she lifted off the speed and lift brought the nose up and I corrected and felt like it was going to be OK . Then I saw the nose pitch up and the flaps went to 90degrees . A loop and she went straight down and hit the ground ,busted the nose ,broke the motor shaft but didn't break the spinner or prop. After I got home I plugged everything up and knoticed the left flap worked like the aileron and as soon as I got about 1/4 throttle the reciever would start blinking fast and unbind or loose all functions .I may have a internal problem with the Transmitter or a bad ESC. I'm still working on finding the problem. I've tried different planes and different model selections and they all work fine. So no more Super Cubs for me !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.