Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Efltie Rv9 Question

Question is how many people out there have or know someone that has one and how well does canopoy hold on durning flight? Heard people saying that it may pop off durning flight and if you put a hole in fusealage it would reduce pressure and not come off? Also heard you can mod it to bolt on, but I really don't want to do that because I would have to undo bolts when I change battery packs. So is this going to be a big problem and does anyone have any easy ideas to surcure it to plane??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Efltie Rv9 Question

The canopy on the RV-9 does not hold down sufficiently and easly drops off in flight. I added a servo arm on the fuselage right behind the canopy, and the servo arm can easly rotatate to pin down the canopy as the plastic of the servo arm faces toward the nose of the aircraft and grabs the back part of the canopy. To remove the canopy before or after flight, I just rotate the servo arm on the bolt that holds it in place. I drilled a hole vertically down though the wood on the fuselage at its top right behind the canopy. A machine screw goes down through the hole in servo arm plastic and then through the wood in the fuselage and has some washers and some nuts to retain the servo arm. I also added extra magnets to hold down the canopy and until I added the servo arm, I had the canopy come lose. The corrective action works well and does not cause any inconvenience or undue distraction.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the canopy held well for me till after an oopsy - then it popped off a couple of times. and having sat out in the sun over a few days something altered the magnetic catch area it seemed, and l could never trust it. tried adjusting the magnet but never as good as when new.
    finally just got a square (1" or so) of adhesive velcro (both sides) and put on canopy and fuse. was a tad too thick - created a bit of a gap between fuse and canopy at back of it - isnt that noticeable - but that gave me a small space to get my fingers into to pop off the canopy when needed.
    then all has been good since.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Eflight RV-9An Even More Important IssueLanding Gear Attachment to the Fuselage....

One of my friends and I cut open the area of the fuselage where the landing gear attaches after the gear broke loose from the fuselage. Inside that area, we added additonal wood glued in with epoxy to beef up the fuselage structure where the landing gear attaches, then replaced the bottom of the fuselage to cover up the area, and reattached the gear. This keeps the gear attached firmly flight after flight where before the addition inside the fuselage I had broken wood and the gear came loose.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine held really well til a crash ripped my landing gear. After repairs it didnt latch nearly as well so i added a screw tab.