Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Wattage Tangent--any experiences?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Wattage Tangent--any experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 10:18 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wattage Tangent--any experiences?

Just picked this kit up and am almost finished with it. Runs on a speed 400 motor w/gearbox, uses ailerons, elevator, rudder and throttle controls. I'm putting two servos in the ailerons to see if my Futubal 6X will do spoilerons and flaperons with it.

It's an F3A style pattern plane. 30" wingspan. Going together pretty easy, foam 2 piece wing, fiberglass fuselage. Anybody know about how it flies and/or crashes? ?
Old 08-07-2003, 01:46 AM
salmon
My Feedback: (114)

Default tan

I have one but I have'nt put it together yet. please let me know how yours does,
Edwin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	99771_2197.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	56765  
Old 08-07-2003, 06:08 AM
Mike Ledbetter

Default Wattage Tangent--any experiences?

Well, It's all together except the landing gear and servo gears and it look great. Pretty easy to assemble and real light.

More later.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Wattage Tangent--any experiences?

Well, how 'bout it? How did it fly? Were you happy?

Thanks,
Dave Olson
Old 11-12-2003, 10:14 AM
raabid

I have a Tangent, dont put the wheels on it they'll only break off the first time you land. Don't lightly toss it on take off, its underpowered so you'll need to throw it hard to get it up to speed a little quicker. Once up in the air, at speed, it flies very nice. I don't care too much for the gearbox as it wears out quickly. Landings are fast as well. If you slow it down too much it will start to wobble a lot. I had a similar experience with several of Wattage's airplanes, I got one of their Reno Racers which was under powered, put a Graupner Speed 480 direct drive with a folding 6X3 prop and it flies great.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:20 PM
Mike Ledbetter

I built it and flew it and thought it flew great. I crunched it up a little after a while and got a new one while they were on sale for $60.

Great pattern plane. Likes to be built very light. Wheels are only good on hard runways. Take offs and landings are a breeze. Sky-blue leading edge has to go. My new one will be red for visibility on landings.

Regards.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:08 PM
killerG
My Feedback: (32)

Default RE: Wattage <span class=

Mike I am thinking about buying a Tangent and I have a couple of questions. How did you put two aileron servos on it? And I have a few Hitec HS-81 servos laying around would these be to big?
Thanks Graham
Old 12-24-2003, 07:48 PM
Mike Ledbetter

HI,

Those servos are too big for the tangent. HiTec HS-55's work well. I got a couple of Hobbico CS-5's that would have worked, but I never put them in the wing. Keep it as light as you can.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:44 PM
killerG
My Feedback: (32)

Hey Mike, and how did you do the ailerons?
Graham
Old 04-03-2004, 08:33 PM
kiwimatt

I see the last post for this thread was in Dec 2003 but thought I might try asking anyway.

I just crashed my Tangent on its first flight (see the crash forums page for discussion). For the 10-15 secs it was in the air it flew great. I think I may have stalled it during a turn. Am in the process of reapiring it and was wondering how fast does it have to fly, do you have to zip around at full speed or can you back-off on the throttle a little (I have just reduced he throttle when the nose dropped down in a turn and never came up). Do you need much rudder in turns to keep the nose up?

Any info appreciated.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:49 AM
halfandhalf825

i've noticed that a lot of watt-age planes just have enough to fly it, not enough to have fun with. I'd suggest the GWS Formosa. Plenty of power. Goes together better too
Old 04-05-2004, 02:32 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Do the ailerons as the instructions state. More power would be good, but the plane is still fun. You can get a 2.5:1 gearbox and a faster prop if you want more speed. The plane likes to fly, fast or slow, but will stall in a turn if your not careful to add power.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:55 PM
kiwimatt

I unfortunately figured out that it needs more power in turns the hard way. Will rebuild the ailerons as they came originally and keep the gas on during turns in the future as you suggest

Thanks for the advice
Old 01-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Park_Flyer

Default RE: Wattage Tangentany experiences?

I just bought a Wattage Tangent at my LHS for $35.00. Now I am home getting ready to build. But I can't seem to find the battery pack specified for this plane. My LHS didn't have any packs available, and I can't seem to locate them online either.Does anybody know where I can purchase the 9.6V 800 Mah 5/4 AAA battery pack it calls for? Or are you guys using differen't packs to fly the plane? I do have a 2S 800 Mah Lipo battery, but fear that the 7.4V lipo is not enough power for this plane. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...
Old 01-03-2010, 12:21 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if they still stock them. I bought mine from Hobby People. If all else fails i would try Cheap Battery Packs.com and they could make you some packs
Old 08-08-2010, 09:18 AM
dwilt72

I just won this airplane at a raffle at a swap meet. I haven't built it yet, but just looking at it, seems to be underpowered. Has anyone tried using a larger motor (ParkZone Trojan or HobbyKing motor) on it? Seems like the wings are a little flimsy, so don't want to add too much power to it.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:15 PM
davegordon

some years after last post ,i have acquired a tangent still new in box. Has anyone over the years powered this plane by Lipo and what size,hope someone can help.