Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Pheonix Models Katana EP ARF

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 06:41 PM
zlin50ls
My Feedback: (351)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pheonix Models Katana EP ARF

I bought one of these Katana ARF models because I was looking for an airplane designed around my E-flite 32 EP motor. I wanted a 3D type of model as these fly great (I flew both 40 size generations of the Hangar 9 Funtana ARF and really enjoyed them while I was still flying glow power). I liked the looks and it was the right price. I was disappointed to find how much weight had to be added to the nose, since I wanted to use my 3 cell 3300mAh lipo packs. I test flew this model and I could tell it didn't have as much power as I'd like, but it flew nice and very responsive. Too responsive, as I over rotated the wings on landing and caught a wing tip and knocked off the landing gear. Oh well, it gave me a chance to see what I could do about the weight of the model and came up with an idea to reduce weight. I made a new motor mount box and added it to the end of the original one, so I can put any nose weight inside of it behind the motor. I could only go 1" so the cowl will still mount onto the airplane, but moving the motor out will help the weight problem. I didn't like the way they designed the battery compartment for the 4 cell pack, so I'm glad I did it differently by placing my 3 cell pack on top of the motor mount tray instead of under it.

Second flight proved much better than the first one. Since I was flying off of grass, take offs are still a little sluggish and would be a big improvemnet using hard or pavemant runways. By removing several ounces of weight makes the model lighter and probably tracks better with the motor moved forward. The landings are nice, but this model has a good sink rate (due to weight), so keep the power up until ready to land. I used an APC 12x6 propeller on both flights and it seems just right for powering this airplane. The other mods I did were to use Tower Hobbies mini servos and connecting the elevators together and using a Hitec 225MG servo for elevator. It is dissapointing that Pheonix Models made such a large airframe for a 32 size EP motor, that could've been scaled down to accomodate a 3 cell pack instead of poorly designing it for a 4 cell pack. The price difference between these two size of packs is huge. My overall impression of the model is good and flying characteristics are very good. I had no quaility issues and it is as good as my Pheonix Models 46 size Sukhoi that I fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99023.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1870194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54763.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	1870195  
Old 07-11-2013, 01:31 PM
DaveHickey

Default RE: Pheonix Models Katana EP ARF

Unless your watt meter shows you are at the published watt limit for the motor I would suggest you try a little more prop. I am running an HK 3548 900KV motor on 4 cells with an APC 13x6.5 prop. It flies a Seagull Spacewalker II .40 very well. Your motor is a similar size to mine but lower KV which implies you would use a larger prop on it. I suspect you could do well with something in the 13x8 - 14X6 range. I don't think you are loading your motor enough to get it to put out its' rated power, but test it with a watt moter so you know what it is doing.

D.H.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:03 PM
zlin50ls

Default RE: Pheonix Models Katana EP ARF

DH, you are right. The next flight I made with this model was an APC 13x10 prop and it made a tremendous difference. I knew it would work better as I used it on my Phoenix Models Sukhoi 46 set up.
Thanks, Kurt.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:46 AM
ideas

Hello Guys. I know this plane is old an has been discontinued, but i have one new in box, i don't know much about EP planes, but want to set it up. What is a good setup, meaning motor, ESC,servos an so on, let me know please.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2014, 11:51 AM
zlin50ls

I had success using the setup on my Katana thread. I made some small mods, but nothing major and can fly it using lighter 3 cell lipos. Good luck on your model, it should fly very well.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:40 PM
ideas

I was thinking about this setup:

Motor: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ner_Motor.html
ESC: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=32820
Servo: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...g_0_10sec.html
Battery: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Lipo_Pack.html
Propeller: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZK99&P=M

What you think ?
Old 01-06-2014, 02:14 PM
zlin50ls

Sorry, I'm not familiar with HK products. If you research these items and think they will work, then you should have no problems with what you buy.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:51 PM
ideas

Anybody have any idea of what i should do ?
Old 01-09-2014, 07:22 AM
zlin50ls

This model requires a 32 size EP motor, use Great Planes Rimfire or Eflite motor specs to find a suitable motor. Don't buy anything less than a 32 size EP motor, this model comes out around 4.5 lbs flying weight. Then use the motor guidelines you decide to buy to get an ESC and battery. That would be the best way to know what you need for powering this model.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:54 AM
ideas

Originally Posted by zlin50ls
This model requires a 32 size EP motor, use Great Planes Rimfire or Eflite motor specs to find a suitable motor. Don't buy anything less than a 32 size EP motor, this model comes out around 4.5 lbs flying weight. Then use the motor guidelines you decide to buy to get an ESC and battery. That would be the best way to know what you need for powering this model.
Do you know anything about hobby motors ? if yes which one would you recommend for my model ?
Old 01-09-2014, 09:19 AM
zlin50ls

I only know about Eflite products, but it's this airplane that you need to know about. The Katana was designed for 30 size EP motors as a minimum for basic aerobatics or you could go with a 40 size EP motor if you want a 3D type model. First you need to ask yourself what you want this model to do, then go from there. I made the modifications to my airplane because I wanted a light aerobatic model to use 3 cell packs. I didn't have any 4 cell packs laying around or I would've gone with a 40 size EP motor setup. Hope this helps.