Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Accord 47 threads

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 09:08 AM
av8djc
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accord 47 threads

Somewhere last Spring I had a forum thread on a site I now cannot find about the Accord 47 that had a lot of posts and many were construction related. Since I'm now back to completing mine I would appreciate it if anyone can help me locate it or any good Accord 47 information. Thanks
Old 09-30-2003, 01:52 AM
cgh
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Accord 47 threads

Hi there,

My Accord 47 just showed up in the box last Thursday. I haven't even
inventoried it yet! I'll follow this closely and if anything comes up I'll
add in my 2c.

What power package did you go with? I'm tempted to keep this one
a bit more docile and go for the bigger power when I complete the A63...

I have the original Accord that's almost ready to fly (I need a new servo
and have to decide what to do about the rudder - the hinge tape wasn't
installed properly).

I'm also going to be getting the A63.

Carl
Old 09-30-2003, 07:01 AM
av8djc

Hi Carl

I wish I could find that thread/forum site now. It was a really long thread woth lots of photos and many pages of great information. I even emailed Sal about it but have not had the courtesy of an answer.

I'm close to done now though. I taped everything together to get a rough CG yesterday and without the battery it's right in the middle of the range. This means the battery will have to be centered there which puts a 1700 10cell the full length of the wing opening. I might have to lift the wing up for a battery change. I had a number of HS85s so that's what I'm using and will now go with two elevator servos to get more weight aft and to avoid any elevator twisting.

I'm using a Hacker 40L geared with their controller, 10x7 prop and 10, 8, and seven cell 1700 sub Cs. I've had this setup in a plans-built highly modified Not For Sale .40 with the same weight and wing area as the 47. The 10 cell is scary but great if I can control the throttle, the 7 too weak for much fun, the 8 is almost perfect.

The 47 kit dissapointments are: tailwheel is lame for our rough ground, no matching covering available from Sal (If it lasts I'll probably recover the whole thing someday), landing gearbox needs improvement and no hold down hardware, plywood for aileron horns weak, wing fit at front of fuse bottom is not faired, and the plans really suck. Good luck.

Dave
Old 10-03-2003, 08:49 AM
cgh
My Feedback: (1)

Dave,

Thanks for the info! I really like the Accord line. I have an original Accord that I picked
up *real cheap*. It's going up for it's maiden voyage - hopefully this weekend. It has
a relatively weak speed 400 motor but hopefully it'll be good enough to have a bit of
fun with. I'm using a 7 cell in that for now.

I'm going to start in earnest on the 47 kit this weekend too. The plans for the Accord
sucked too! I would hate to put the battery in the middle of the wing section. Ever
think of just adding a bit of weight way back in the tail? With that moment arm it
might not take too much. 8 cells is perfect. I have a car charger that can do up to
8 cells.

I also have an Accord 63 kit on order. I'll have to upgrade my charger when I get
the batteries for this baby.

Oh well - keep us informed (I'll do the same).

Carl
Old 11-01-2003, 08:56 PM
av8djc

Carl

I flew mine for the first time a couple of days ago. Went up three times tweaking CG and programming along the way. Very nice flying with no dissapppointments. I thought my 10 cell would be too much for it but it was perfect. The eight cell was ok for just lazy flying but didn't climb out vertical as far as the ten. I didn't try my seven cell. I think the plane flies similar to my Goldberg Extra. It tracks like a bloodhound!

I put an HS85 mounted near the tail on each elevator with a reversing adjustable Y harness from Radical, plus the rudder servo back there. I really like that elevater setup as it eliminates any twisting of the elevaters under load. The plane balances with the front of the batteries at the bulkhead 2-1/2" or so in front of the wing. I planked from there to the bulkhead at the rear of the wing with 1/8" lite ply and the batteries go in without pulling the wing. Perfect. I have a slight twist in the wing which I think I have ironed out now since the first flights but the ailerons are really prone to warping and it toook a long time to get them close prior to the flights. I needed some left aileron trim at higher speeds so of course then it would roll right when I'd slow up. Not a problem except it makes it really hard to do good aerobatics. I hope I've got it straight now and am anxious to try it again.

I would not buy another Accord. I think it's a great design but I could build something faster than going through all the rework and mods on a covered ARF to make it right. I threw away all the hardware for example. I had to rebuild the landing gearbox as everyone else has done. I put in 1/8" hard ply pads over the lite ply for the aileron control horn screws, add hard wood to the reframed ( the hole doesn't fit the HS85's) aileron servo and aft servo holes for the screws, and just a bunch of that kind of BS. Sal had no covering material to match the yellow so I had to take pieces from areas I'd opened up to patch here and there and then I used red transparent Ultracote to cover the opened areas and implemented trim that way. Anyway it would be very fast to frame a plane of this type and I could cover it faster than I patched it. Plus I wouldn't have specks of balsa dust stuck on the covering inside. (it's impossible to avoid that). Basically it's now a great flying sound airplane that looks like a rank amateur covered it. Not my style.

Sorry for the venting.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20237.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	71704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69571.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	71705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77678.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	71706  
Old 11-06-2003, 04:26 PM
TerryTill

here is a thread I created on another web
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=accord

Terry
Old 11-06-2003, 07:53 PM
av8djc

Terry

Thanks for the thread info. It is still not like the one I lost. That one had about 50 posts and a photo rich step by step construction of one mixed into the thread. I guess I don't need it now that mine is flying. I flew two flights with it today (batteries charging in between my flights of my Goldberg Extra with OS 1.08) and I think I got it pretty straight now. As for the elevators I know it's a little more weight but with my two servos there is no flex or flutter. Period! Still in glow mode maybe but what the hell. I LIKE crisp control!
Old 11-06-2003, 08:34 PM
av8djc

I found the thread I was originally looking for:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0&pagenumber=1
Old 11-06-2003, 11:05 PM
LowAndSlow
My Feedback: (5)

Hi Dave! I checked out your favorite Accord thread, and was surprised that Ed gives the "47" 16 oz. airframe weight and area of 460 in., when NESail gives it 10 OZ. AF weight and 505 in. area. I wonder where the discrepancy is. Maybe Sal can shed more light on it. I have ordered an Accord 47, and will power it with my old trusty AF cobalt 05 brushed and geared (3.21 : 1). MotoCalc says I will have good vertical and lots of aerobatics with a 12 x 8 prop and 8 CP SCR's. 29 amps gives 36 oz. thrust and enough pitch speed. With 10 cells, 12 x 6 prop it should give 48 oz. thrust at 33 amps., which should do hover.etc. This is based on the AF weight of 10 oz. and area of 505". If Ed is right , I probably won't get hovering with my setup, but it should be fun to fly, especially with flapperons.

Anybody have experience with the brushed cobalt 05/ gear system on 3D aircrft?

John
Old 11-11-2003, 02:46 PM
LowAndSlow
My Feedback: (5)

I just received my Accord 47. Everything straight and true, no warps that I could see in wing, ailerons,and tail surfaces. Nicely designed and built! HOWEVER- I am disappointed to find that the specs on NESail's website are not valid. The empty airframe weight IS 16 oz. as Ed says above, and I measure the area at 410 squares, as I do not count the area inside the fuselage or the wingtips which are not lifting. This is quite a bit less than the over 500 squares advertised, and means changes in cell number, gear ratio, and propeller size to get 3D flight. I have suspected that most airplane specs simply multiply the wingspan by the average chord for area. And most biplanes advertise actual total area of both wings when that area should be 83% less, due to airflow interference between wings. Well, bottom line- This Accord 47 should be a ball as a sport flyer with my AF cobalt 05/geared and 8 cells, and may still hover with higher gear ratio, 13x7 prop, and 10 cells. And I plan to add floats! I do hate the micky-mouse color scheme, and will recover parts of it soon.

John