Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Models Giles G-202 Electric Sport Model

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Phoenix Models Giles G-202 Electric Sport Model

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 10:26 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Phoenix Models Giles G-202 Electric Sport Model

Greetings good people,

Just so you all know, there is an earlier Review of this same model published right here at RCUNIVERSE back in August 2004 by Nathon Maat and you can see it at:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=334

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have purchased a slightly used Giles G-202 by Phoenix Models and setup by a good friend that goes by dbc over at RCGroups dot com. The model is in better shape then when it got out of the box since his setup skills are just amazing and very meticulous. The plane came in at 4 lb 15 oz without the battery. It required 1 oz of nose weight and a 15.5 oz battery to achieve balance. AUW just under 6 lb and well under spec.

The model is powered by the Emax BL3526/04 is an 8.1 ounce, 860KV, 1000 watt outrunner brushless motor that is equivalent to a .46 nitro engine. It's a good choice for sport and scale airplanes weighing 3 to 7 lbs, and 3D models up to 4.5 lbs. and coupled with a 60a ESC w/switch mode 5a BEC and Hitec HS-311 servos. The motor mounting holes on the board did not line up with the mount on the Emax motor. These Phoenix motor mounting boards are always pre-drilled for Rimfire motors - and they seldom align with other motors. It would have been difficult to redrill the smaller motor mounting board - spacing for the Emax motor X mount was tight. Only two of the holes on the firewall required redrilling and this was the easier and cleaner solution. If you mount the motor directly to the firewall on standoffs, you must carefully observe the amount of offset and adjust accordingly.

The motor's source is:
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Emax-BL3...otor-A-274.htm

Using Turnigy and Admiral 4-Cell, 4400mAH 35C Lithium Polymer batteries it yields 860 Watts (about 144 w/lb ), it's not as overpowered and it's probably a better plane for it. There's plenty of power for aggressive aerobatics, but not for unlimited vertical and 3-D hovering. The plane slows nicely without fear of stalling, and the landing speed even without flaps is reasonable.

Flight Summary Assessment:
I've now got a total of six flights on the Giles. Very pleased with its flight performance. A very nice sport/aerobatic plane that flys smoothly, tracks well, and responds predictably to pilot input. I could not provoke any nasty flight characteristics - did quite a few different stalls and spins with easy recovery from them.
Plane is still plenty stable at the rearmost recommended CG but responds quickly to input. Inverted with just a touch of "up push" required on the elevator but still very responsive here, too. Landing speed is reasonable considering its weight and no flaps. Tracked well on takeoffs. It's hard to find serious fault with the Giles - maybe too heavy for real 3d, but that was never the intention. I don't think anyone would be unhappy with its sport/aerobatic performance.

Flew it using: (Radio Gear and Battery Selection)

1. First Generation Spektrum DX7.
2. DSMX Generation Spektrum AR-400 (4-Channel Receiver).
3. Turnigy 4-Cell, 4400mAH, 35C, Lithium Polymer.

There was just no trim required as this 6-lbs model including battery flew like it was on rails. Best of all, I flew it like I had before as many at the Club didn't believe this was my Maiden flight(s). It looks and performs just amazingly.

Here is the Video: ( make sure "HD" and Full Screen is selected!)
https://vimeo.com/135821979 Some in-flight pictures thanks to my buddy, Gerardo Rivera:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Carlos and Giles G-202 08-16-2015.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	2115067   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2943-edited.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	2115068   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2944-edited.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	2115069   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2955-edited.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	2115070   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2956-edited.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	2115071   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2958-edited.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	2115072   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2961-edited.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	2115073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2965-edited.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	2115074  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2966-edited.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	2115075  

Last edited by guapoman2000; 08-18-2015 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Can't seem to link picture
Old 08-19-2015, 03:47 PM
guapoman2000

I played hooky today and went to fly my new large Giles G202 and wow, performed some Knife Edge (need to give it a little more rudder travel) nonetheless it performed great. Spins, and tail slides etc...etc.....

The best today was to bring it up high and cut the power completely. With power OFF, used only rudder to turn so as not to disturb the airflow over the wings and it floated and floated. Not one hint of wing down event and it was super slow!

The power OFF events improved my landings as one landing I allowed slight power and holding slight up elevator and nailed the landing target on the spot. The other landing was completely power OFF and with no wind (Dead Calm) it again hit the target at the start of the runway and rolled nicely and I was able to turn on the hard surface instead of on the grass at the edge of the runway.

Amazing morning and experience!
Old 08-22-2015, 08:01 AM
guapoman2000

Did it again on Friday and Saturday morning! (08-21-2015 & 08-22-2015)

Man, I got to stop taking Annual Leave (Vacation) but, I just enjoy this model so much plus with the great weather conditions we had today after ugly thunder storms just the night before, it has been just spectacular and we all need to enjoy it when we can!

Today, flew it with great skill and let me tell you all, it still makes my heart pump UP fast when I command it to do some really hard snaps with a good amount of throttle.

I finally placed some Expo and Dual Rates. The Dual Rates have been setup identical as I really didn't want want thing more than what I had setup so, if I bump the switch, it will be the same.

Amazing morning!
Old 08-22-2015, 09:41 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard people say that the Giles 202's will snap if you look at them wrong. Yet mine, not a Phoenix models, is a total floater super slow landings. We must be lucky that they slow down and do not want to snap on use. Brother has the larger Edge 540 and it flies like a trainer on landings.

Buzz.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:48 AM
guapoman2000

Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard
I have heard people say that the Giles 202's will snap if you look at them wrong. Yet mine, not a Phoenix models, is a total floater super slow landings. We must be lucky that they slow down and do not want to snap on use. Brother has the larger Edge 540 and it flies like a trainer on landings.

Buzz.
Buzz,

Not all Giles 202's are made equal.

I had a buddy that had one from a long ago brand from China and it was just really a hard model to fly and he crashed it at least twice.

As he looked at the damage, he looked carefully that BOTH wings were jigged the same and therefore, he realized that he had two left wings, inverted airfoil on one. He dumped the model in its rightful place!

You didn't specify which "model" ALL those people are talking about! There are a few Giles 202's and I can attest that the PHOENIX MODEL, Giles G-202 is a fantastic flyer all around.

Like I posted earlier today, I finally setup some Expo to tame those ailerons and I can say because of switching constantly between models, I happened to move the ailerons a little too much during the 2nd flight and I landed right away and adjusted for Expo on Ailerons. This within its self can say that the model was pretty forgiving as it didn't stall or wing down in my attempts to calm my hand and adjust my brain back to the Giles as it would have been in a large Hefty Trash bag today!

No Sir, this is by far the best Sport model I have ever had the pleasure to own and fly.

Guapo

Last edited by guapoman2000; 08-22-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:07 PM
guapoman2000

I feel terrible

Last Sunday she hit mother Earth rather hard and it was my fault (RC Pilot Error). Trying to show off on take-off and just flown the "LIGHT" mini-E3D that weighs 21oz., I then, took off with the Giles G-202 and kicked in too much rudder for the model to perform spin action and rubber is just very effective and found myself with the model stall about 20 feet up and I was able to straighten it out, however, all I could do was to watch her pancake in on the grass field.

The good news......on Tuesday a new ARF will arrive and all components will be transferred over to the new one.

I will repair that damaged airframe and take my time as it is repairable.

Anyone like to see damage pic's?
Old 09-14-2015, 04:39 AM
squigintx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sorry to hear of your misfortune. It is hard to beat the price of these Phoenix models from Tower.