Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Carbon T-28

Old 09-05-2015, 04:14 AM
rcpete347

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HI all, with the lack of instructions, as is the case with this model, how are the retracts setup, are their stall servos in the retracts, or do you set the travel, so at the end of the stroke, their is no load on the gear???
Rcpete
Old 09-05-2015, 04:48 AM
flyinwalenda

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpete347 View Post
HI all, with the lack of instructions, as is the case with this model, how are the retracts setup, are their stall servos in the retracts, or do you set the travel, so at the end of the stroke, their is no load on the gear???
Rcpete
Other than reversing a channel there are no transmitter adjustments required. These are self-contained powered retracts with the electronic features built-in. Only minor mechanical adjustments required when necessary. They are "supposed to" shut down if under too much load(binding) automatically.

The issue at first glance is these retracts are not E-flite retracts. Take them out and compare them to an E-flite and it's quite obvious they are inferior. These are the type of retracts you find on lesser quality, cheaper foam planes that weigh much less than this plane. It seems Eflite went cheap on this plane with electric and hardware components when compared to their CZ Cub and I believe that is why we are starting to see issues centering around these retracts.
Again, it would be wise to take the above mentioned precautions to protect your plane.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:09 PM
trojan man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any updates on these 3 crashed planes whether it was pilot error or malfunction
Old 09-06-2015, 02:55 AM
flyinwalenda

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojan man View Post
Any updates on these 3 crashed planes whether it was pilot error or malfunction
I guess you really didn't read the post. The first two were NOT pilot error ,it was the retracts that most certainly caused the regulator to overload cutting power to the receiver. Horizon is going over the wreckage.
Also a user on rcg has reported a retract failure as well.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:27 AM
rcpete347

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
Other than reversing a channel there are no transmitter adjustments required. These are self-contained powered retracts with the electronic features built-in. Only minor mechanical adjustments required when necessary. They are "supposed to" shut down if under too much load(binding) automatically.

The issue at first glance is these retracts are not E-flite retracts. Take them out and compare them to an E-flite and it's quite obvious they are inferior. These are the type of retracts you find on lesser quality, cheaper foam planes that weigh much less than this plane. It seems Eflite went cheap on this plane with electric and hardware components when compared to their CZ Cub and I believe that is why we are starting to see issues centering around these retracts.
Again, it would be wise to take the above mentioned precautions to protect your plane.
Well, I will not be flying this plane until these issues are resolved. This is very irresponsible, considering, people could get hurt.
Rcpete
Old 09-06-2015, 04:48 AM
flyinwalenda

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpete347 View Post
Well, I will not be flying this plane until these issues are resolved. This is very irresponsible, considering, people could get hurt.
Rcpete
You don't have to ground it. Just take the precautions to make sure the receiver always gets power if or when the retracts fail. Isolating the retracts with a separate battery is the best way or you can power the entire plane with a separate battery but you must disable the internal bec.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:14 AM
trojan man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All I seen was probable with those 2 and the 3rd that sounded like a reversed aileron, what I'm asking is have you heard anything definite, also where did you get this info. .?

From the sounds of it for all we know could also have been the elevator clevis on the 1st one. ..all speculation

Still good advice on the separate bec and battery, should be standard on a plane this size

Last edited by trojan man; 09-06-2015 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:16 AM
flyinwalenda

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
All I seen was probable with those 2 and the 3rd that sounded like a reversed aileron, what I'm asking is have you heard anything definite, also where did you get this info. .?

From the sounds of it for all we know could also have been the elevator clevis on the 1st one. ..all speculation
Again, did you read and comprehend my post(s) here or on rcg , or are you just pulling words out that caught your eye? Or did you just join this site to disrupt this thread?
I'll try to explain it to you but I won't be able to draw pictures so bear with me.
No broken clevis' caused the elevator,rudder,and ailerons to stop working at the same time in both planes. Yes, some clevis' were broken on the one plane but that was a result of the violent crash that ripped entire control surfaces off(as already outlined on rcg posts)
Both planes were piloted by very experienced modelers. They are not newbie ,parkflyer, or foam-only pilots and they know how to react when things go wrong. They know what they are doing as do the folks who spent a few days going through the wrecked planes with NTSB tenacity to find the probable cause and who wrote these posts trying to help others who bought this plane.
Conclusion; no speculation here, only probable cause in both crashes are the retracts as explained in the previous posts.
Hope that helps you !

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 09-06-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:34 AM
Jetdktr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have one of these that I was going to start on this week. Too much other stuff going on at the moment. This really concerns me, so I have not taken it out of the box yet. A lot of money for a foamy with gear issues causing total destruction. Post #27 concerning the retracts not being E-Flight, but an "inferior brand". Do you think the E-Flight retracts will drop in, or will the retract mount have to be completely re-worked. I have a set of E-Flight retracts (large ones) that need a home, but if they wont drop in without reworking the gear mounts, a separate battery will be the fix for me.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:02 PM
trojan man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a dozen flights on mine, super nice plane to fly, retracts are fine, nice and robust, just keep them clean and you will be fine, people always like to Bit*ch and complain about something to make them feel like a big dog, just add a separate pack and have Fun
Old 09-06-2015, 06:58 PM
rcpete347

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
I have a dozen flights on mine, super nice plane to fly, retracts are fine, nice and robust, just keep them clean and you will be fine, people always like to Bit*ch and complain about something to make them feel like a big dog, just add a separate pack and have Fun
HI, welcome to the club, I see you joined today, keep us posted on your flights, pics would be good.
Rcpete
Old 09-07-2015, 01:12 PM
blainer48

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does anyone know what the input voltage for the retracts is so if a guy was going to use a separate battery for the retracts.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:31 PM
Silent-AV8R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by blainer48 View Post
Does anyone know what the input voltage for the retracts is so if a guy was going to use a separate battery for the retracts.
Horizon has stated that they are rated to work at the 5.5 volts provided by the BEC built into the ESC of this plane. I installed a separate RX pack that powers the radio and retracts with a regulator set for 5.5 volts. 8 flights, no issues.

However, it was noted on a thread on RCG that the flaps on at least one plane separated from the plane. The flaps do not have an actual hinge like the other surfaces. It is simply a part of the wing, sort of what we call a "skin hinge" in soaring. But in this case it is just a small thickness of foam. I plan to lay some strapping tape along, and across the hinge line on the bottom of the wing. My right wing is showing a small separation of the right flap on the root end.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:47 PM
blainer48

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I guess I don't get it. I sometime get pissed when these companies do this crap. I guarantee if you called Horizon they would play the "this is the first we have heard of these issues" stuff. First the retracts could be an issue now flaps are falling off or coming separated from the wing. Why use good hinges or actual pinned hinges on all the other surfaces and skin hinges on the flaps. For a almost $600 plane if you bought the BNF, you think that they could get something right. Good design and great flying plane, just starting to see the issues more and more popping up.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:47 PM
flyinwalenda

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The last two offerings from E-flite have fallen short of their history of making quality planes with quality components; the Pulse15 and this T28. The Pulse15 has issues with elevator hinges tearing and downing some planes along with some sub-par components. I guess we will see what happens as time goes on.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:23 PM
blainer48

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, you have to love the quality falling short as you mentioned but notice the prices have reflected the lack of quality components or even what I consider the downslide of their customer service. I use to enjoy dealing with Horizon but the last couple times I had to call them on something, before I could even finish explaining I pretty much got told it was my fault and that warranty wouldn't cover it. After some choice words and telling the individual on the phone that the plane hadn't even been assembled let alone crashed due to something I did, did he then change his tone and apologize. As said, we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:02 AM
guapoman2000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

See this new posting from someone who is Alerting of Foam Hinge Material not adequate for this size model.

Please visit:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post32622185

See Post # 236 over a RCGroups dot com.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...453055&page=16
Old 09-08-2015, 11:03 AM
trojan man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
See this new posting from someone who is Alerting of Foam Hinge Material not adequate for this size model.

Please visit:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post32622185

See Post # 236 over a RCGroups dot com.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...453055&page=16
mine were separating too so i added Blenderm hinges with a little ca, problem solved... Everyone that owns one loves it, including me, the plane flys that good but if you don't want to or know how to do a little modifying or maintenance, maybe this plane is not for you..., this isn't your ordinary beginner rtf parkflyer that even some of those need modding to make them fly right, in fact i cant remember the last plane i bought that didnt need some kind of mod
Old 09-08-2015, 11:07 AM
guapoman2000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
mine were separating too so i added Blenderm hinges with a little ca, problem solved... Everyone that owns one loves it, including me, the plane flys that good but if you don't want to or know how to do a little modifying or maintenance, maybe this plane is not for you..., this isn't your ordinary beginner rtf parkflyer that even some of those need modding to make them fly right, in fact i cant remember the last plane i bought that didnt need some kind of mod
Hey Trojan Man,

Don't shoot the messenger, just sharing what others posted at the "OTHER" RC Discussion site.

As far as your comments, the opposite is also true (in my opinion) that if you go out and pay this kind of $$$ you should NOT have to be doing modifications just so the model can fly carefree without any need of checking it before every flight.

You are correct, for those that are willing to Pay this kind of $$$ they should stick with the competition!
Old 09-08-2015, 11:38 AM
Silent-AV8R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The only aircraft models that I never had to modify in any way were ones I built myself from scratch. Everything, and I mean everything, else has need some degree of modification, including so very expensive giant scale composite aerobatic planes. Not sure what the big deal or surprise is all about.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:39 AM
trojan man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
Hey Trojan Man,

Don't shoot the messenger, just sharing what others posted at the "OTHER" RC Discussion site.

As far as your comments, the opposite is also true (in my opinion) that if you go out and pay this kind of $$$ you should NOT have to be doing modifications just so the model can fly carefree without any need of checking it before every flight.
No Problem Man, and i do agree in a perfect world you should not have to mod any planes, problem is we don't live in a perfect world, ,

so far the mods are very minor though, upgrade clevises, add bec that most do anyway on a plane this size, add some hinge tape and clean retracts after every trip to the field, i have lost track of how many flights i have on mine,over 20 for sure with 4 more packs thru it this morning and everytime i am amazed how Awesome it flys, to each his own i guess
Old 09-08-2015, 01:37 PM
guapoman2000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh my, did you notice the laundry list! I mean my point stands as Horizon Hobby has been known for excellence and as an example the P-51D Mustang Dallas Doll is a model that my buddy in my presence took out of the box and at the field put it together in less than 20 minutes and was flying soon there after with ZERO modification or other fixes!

I do realize that this is HH first large foamie but, the quality and attention to detail falls way short on the T-28 Trojan.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:26 PM
flyinwalenda

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For those who can't figure out what the point is . Here we go. This plane is designed primarily for the newbie or foam-only flyer who wants to get into larger planes. These folks typically only want to open the box,charge the batteries .plug them in and fly with little to no added work .
They should not have to deal with issues like what are popping up on this plane as most do not have the skills to deal with them . Yes they all like to personalize their planes with easy modifications to make them stand out but they should not have to learn how to rewire retracts or disable bec's to keep the plane from crashing or re-hinge a control surface that should have been hinged from the factory. These things they can learn as they get more experience and advance in the hobby .
At this price point and being an E-flite plane the quality should be there and these issues should not be there.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:57 PM
guapoman2000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very well said / posted, Fly
Old 09-08-2015, 05:38 PM
Woody218

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
For those who can't figure out what the point is . Here we go. This plane is designed primarily for the newbie or foam-only flyer who wants to get into larger planes. These folks typically only want to open the box,charge the batteries .plug them in and fly with little to no added work .
They should not have to deal with issues like what are popping up on this plane as most do not have the skills to deal with them . Yes they all like to personalize their planes with easy modifications to make them stand out but they should not have to learn how to rewire retracts or disable bec's to keep the plane from crashing or re-hinge a control surface that should have been hinged from the factory. These things they can learn as they get more experience and advance in the hobby .
At this price point and being an E-flite plane the quality should be there and these issues should not be there.
I agree 110%!

Search this Thread