Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Electric Ziroli Mini Sukoi?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 07:00 PM
O2man
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Ziroli Mini Sukoi?

Found the plans from the MAN centerfold from about 5years ago for a Nick Ziroli designed Mini Sukoi. This brought back all sorts of memories of longings for a convenient size go-anywhere bird, and now I want to set out on my first scratch-building adventure. Please, if you must snicker, please be discreet about it since I am very sensitive! Yes, I know that this is available in a laser cut short kit, but I am wanting to do it myself. I can't be biting off too awfully much, can I? It is, after all not a very large plane!

This design was intended to be powered by a Cox .049 to .09 slimer. I read about a few happy souls that built their own and flew with the nitro power. Has anyone out there ever built one? Has anyone ever tried making one with electric power? Originally the problem was finding and affording light enough radio gear. Now the servos and receiver , and the electric power are all off-the-shelf items and relatively inexpensive! All I am going to need is a little cash, and I can get that just by dipping into my ice-cream allowance. (New Year resolution will make this a slam-dunk)

Seriously, any advice folks?
Old 01-07-2004, 11:46 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Electric Ziroli Mini Sukoi?

The only difference between kit and scratch building is the task of cutting out parts. Simply cut all the parts out before you start building; make yourself a "kit." I have yet to meet a person with the inclination to scratch build that couldn't. I'm positive such a person does not exist. Don't prove me wrong

As far as the power system goes, my first inclination is to say "Speed 400," but to make a more educated guess, I would need the plane's statistics. Wingspan and wing area to get a rough idea of how large the plane is, and more importantly, the plane's estimated all-up weight as a glow-powered bird.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:12 PM
O2man

Matt,

Thanks for the response. According to the plans, the wing span is 34", wing area is 245 sq", length is 24". There is no info on expected weight, but I recall some discussion of one that flew fairly well on a Cox .074.

I hope I don't have to remember what issue of MAN the plans were published in, but I am sure I must have saved it. I would just hate to have to prove that I can find it, since I just finished what passes for organizing my shop. I believe it was January of '98, but I have been wrong before.

I expect that I will be able to change some of the specified wood in order to save weight for electric power. If you like, I'll try to figure out how to post a photo of the plans. I doubt that it will be a problem for copyright laws, since it couldn't be used reasonably to build from.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:56 PM
kfrancis

I started this as an gas model and then converted to electric. Speed 400 was good, but converted to a Mega 16/15/5..now it is awesome. Flew without the gear, lighten as much as posible cut out the formers etc to the barest min. Cut out the center of the firewall and mont the motor behind the spinner.

Just keep it light, completely over built for gas. it will be a
lot of fun. Run a large prop.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:25 AM
O2man

Thanks kfrancis,

Can you tell me what your all up weight is? What battery pack are you running?

Maybe you still have the plane and can possibly post a pic?