Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Tiger 400

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 09:46 AM
stratosman
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger 400

I just received my new Tiger 400 airplane and it looks like it is well built.This is my first electric airplane, I don't want to put in lipo's as I can't afford all the upgrades I will have to make to use them. And I don't want to contend with the over and under charge issues you have to deal with.It has a 400 motor in it.
Any suggestions?
Old 08-07-2004, 02:31 AM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Tiger 400

One idea would be to go with a brushless setup to increase the efficiency. I'd look at a higher turn mega like a mega 16/15/5 or /6 running direct drive. Cost is about $90 for the motor and $69 for a esc.

Barring a power upgrade, fly it and enjoy it the way it is. You can always upgrade the power later.

On a second note. Don't discount lipos. I really has changed the face of electrics. There are some lower cost options. First generation lipos are going cheap. Tower had 2s Kokam 1500 packs for $28. These would work with the stock power systems just fine. Invest in a good charger though. My perferrence is the Astro 109. I know that its some bucks, but as Keith Shaw said years ago, "buy cheap, buy twice".

John
Old 08-20-2004, 07:39 AM
LJR
My Feedback: (8)

TIGER 400
I also have this plane, flying on 8 kan 950. I used a long can 400( from Cermark),a graupner 2.33 : 1 gear box(Hobby lobby), APC electric prop 9x 4.5 .

Plane does really well, loops from horizontal, split S, inverted.

Able to get 5+ min with a little throttle management.

I can't speak about the supplier motor or gear box, I just wanted to say the plane does okay with these mods..
Old 09-08-2004, 06:41 AM
FlynFoam
My Feedback: (1)

The Tiger is new to me as well and I also have put off the lipo investment.
Although I have not flown my Tiger yet my bench motor runs yields around 6 minutes of WOT
with the stock prop, closer to 8 minutes with some management.
These numbers are with an 8 cell 5/4AAA Nimh, 800mah Wattage battery pack.
Found the battery pack at Hobby People's website for about $40.

FlynFoam