Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Futaba 3004 BB servo, is it too big?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Futaba 3004 BB servo, is it too big?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 03:12 PM
FlynFoam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 3004 BB servo, is it too big?

I have (5) of the S3004 BB servos. They came with a transmitter I bought for use on my park flyers. Since they are WAY to big/heavy for my models I put them on ebay, thinking that I would use the money to fund my Carl Goldberg Tiger 400 (Electric).
Okay, now they are listed on ebay and today they tell me at the feild that these servos will work in the Tiger Electric.
They are telling me that if I go with a brushless, lithium set up that I will need the extra torque/strength.

The micro servos seem like they would be a tight fit and I don't think that these giant servos will even fit inside of the electric Tiger.

Or, will they? Does anyone have a CG electric setup this way?

__________________________________________________ ___

FlynFoam
Old 01-24-2005, 12:55 AM
Trogdor the Burninator

Default RE: Futaba 3004 BB servo, is it too big?

I don't have the plane, but from the specs on the website, a standard servo seems silly! I'm sure micros will be fine even with brushless, I (and many others) use them on similar size 3d planes without problems so this plane should be fine.

Jeez, I can't see how they'd even fit!
Old 01-24-2005, 04:13 PM
FlynFoam

Thankyou! I can't believe that it didn't dawn on me that all of those 3D (electrics) at the field are using HS-55's and GWS Nano servos,etc...
And, although I will be using brushless power, were only talking a speed 400 sized motor here. Maybe 20 to 25 amps maximum.
Thanks for kick starting my thought process.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

__________________________________________________ ____

FlynFoam
Old 01-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

FlynFoam,
How bout all the extra weight? Maybe that's why "they" suggested a brushless set up, need extra power to compensate the extra weight. Just a thought.
BJ
Old 01-25-2005, 06:31 PM
FlynFoam

I had always planned the brushless set-up. But I think you are on the right track.
I think what they were trying to tell me is that those big servos could be made to work becuase the power set up could carry the extra weight. I'm sure there right about the weight issue. You could always increase the motor & battery capacity to overcome some weight issues but that is not the way I would like to build my CG Tiger EP. I want all of the power she can handle and as light as possible. Gravity is the enemy!
I am definetly going with HS-55's, small, plenty enough torque and light weight.