Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

G.P.Electric Sportster

Old 02-10-2005, 10:09 AM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default G.P.Electric Sportster

My brother,who flys kit built full scale airplanes was so successful with the Park Zone Super Decathlon that he went on to purchash the Great Planes Sportster Electric EP. I assembled this one for him and got one for myself too!
Whats the word on this seemingly nice package;in particular flight performance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14590.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	227371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42281.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	227372  
Old 02-10-2005, 02:05 PM
Patrnflier
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: G.P.Electric Sportster

I would read the thread below. It has a lot of good information.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Grea...2513935/tm.htm

Marty
Old 02-10-2005, 10:24 PM
flybymike

Actually, that is the Mini Super Sportster. I just ordered mine today as well, should have it by next week. The above link does have a lot of good information im sure could be used on the mini version. From the people i've talked with, they say the mini super sportster is a better performer in stock trim regarding the power to weight ratio than the larger sportster. I'll have a complete build thread of mine once it gets here! Please let us know how yours does once it gets a maiden!
Old 02-12-2005, 11:31 PM
spicedcrab

this mini sportster is a great plane, i just learned to fly a couple weeks ago on a slow stick, moved up to this plane a few days ago, i must say as a beginner i had no problem flying this plane, it goes exactly were i point it. i also just added the new e-flight 370 outrunner brushless, and boy does this make and awsome combo! shaved 3 ounces off the plane, added more power, and doubled my flight time! i had to move the battery pack to a new location to correct the weight savings in the front, but it is sweet now! if anyone has questions about this combo, just ask since i seem to have hit a real good match here.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:10 PM
toddhosfeld
My Feedback: (2)

ramcfarland,

did you fly the mini ss ep with stock gear before converting to brushless? If so what kind of flight time were you getting with what battery pack. Also I was looking at using stock setup but dropping in a 8 cell 9.6v 4/5sc 2000mah pack but not sure the battery compartment is big enough for it. Would I gain much flight time over the 8 cell 9.6v 2/3sc 1100mah the manufacture recommends. Thanks

Hos
Old 02-13-2005, 12:11 PM
toddhosfeld

that previous message was for spicedcrab. My bad

Hos
Old 02-13-2005, 08:23 PM
spicedcrab

hi, yes i flew it stock 1st. i didnt actually time it, but my best guess is about 8 to 10 mins flight, just flying around no aerobatic flying, (im new) with a 8 cell 1100 pack 2/3a that i made myself i dont know the dimentions of a 4/5sc cell, but i dont beleive it will fit, if it does fit i dont think the stock motor is powerful enough to pull the extra weight, the plane needs all the power it has with my pack to get a decent take off, if you want more flight time use a lipo, 4/5sc in my opinion is not a solution, it will hurt the performance too much. my guess however if say you do try it, is that you may gain maybe 2 more mins at best since you will prob have to fly at just about full throttle to carry that much extra weight. i think this plane would fly like a dream if you go with the lipo pack, and stock motor. and then really wake it up with the e-flight outrunner 370 1360kv motor that i have, the motor is just a tad more powerful than stock motor, but what made it so great is the 1.5 ounces it weighs and i took out 4.5 ounces total weight of my plane now is 20.5 ounces. now my flight time with that same pack is about 20 mins. im going to add a lipo next, my software is estimating a 35 - 45 min flight time! i cant wait, but i cant buy everything all the same week, lol
Old 02-13-2005, 10:37 PM
toddhosfeld

spicedcrab,

so you think that the stock motor would run a lipo pack? How big of Esc should I go with to support this type of battery pack? Love the flight time that this setup could bring, I think I would like to stay with the stock motor as long as possible but like the idea of using lipo to save weight and increase flight time. thanks

Hos
Old 02-14-2005, 08:25 AM
spicedcrab

the stock motor can run up to a 9.6 volt pack, so a 2 cell lipo is what you would use, this wont give you as much power since it will be between 7 and 8 volts, but the weight savings will help offset the slightly less full power, you will get a longer run time though overall, keep in mind the brushless is the key to getting to long run times, more than the pack. if you go the way of stock motor/2 cell lipo, then i would recommend about a 1500ma size lipo. it can be any lengh and hight to fit, but cant be more than 1.6 inches wide, look at the specs before you buy one. also with stock motor you will pull twice as much amps for the same power as a brushless, so i would recommend a speed contol of 20 amps just so you have room to use it on a bigger motor for future use, in reality my guess is you will pull about 12 or so amps at full throttle.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:34 AM
spicedcrab

one more thought about were to put your money, you will have to spend about $30 or so for a regular 20 amp speed control, the 20 amp brushless controller that i bought cost me $39 so if you buy it now it will only cost you about $9 more instead of buying the reglular one. the brushless motor i bought cost $49, buy that instead of a $45 to $55 lipo pack, if you add it up you could have the really nice setup i have for only about $10 or so more than buying the gear thats required to run the stock motor. yea you wont get the lipo as part of the equation, but you will get a ton more power and a lighter plane and real long run times. then you use 8, 2/3a 1100ma cells with tabs on them so you can solder them together to make a 9.6 volt pack they cost me about a dollar a cell through mail order, i can look up the name of the company if you want, i cant remeber it right off hand. remeber, that lipo is wonderful, but the brushless motor gives you so much more for your money than the lipo does to make this a great setup. i just did a amp test at full throttle with the plane sitting still, it is pulling 7.4 amps. my guess is when you throttle back to rugular flying speed it is only pulling about 3 or 4 amps, as opposed to 7 or 8 amps with the stock motor at the same speed.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:22 AM
toddhosfeld

spicedcrab do you have any pics. of your setup? I like the brushless look using a 9.6v 2/3 1100mah pack for now. Did you get your esc from horizonhobby same for the outrunner motor? thanks.

Tim
Old 02-14-2005, 01:48 PM
spicedcrab

i got it from gpa hobbies, it is my local hobby shop, they ordered the stuff for me it only takes two days or so to get it, and i dont have to pay shipping like i do if i order online. try your local hobby shop, i would think they could sell for the same price as i paid since my hobby shop was able to do it. i will take some pics for you, give me a few days to get the camera. you will need pics anyway to see how to adapt the motor mount to work.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:18 PM
toddhosfeld

Good feedback regarding this setup. Ya the pics would definately help with the brushless look. What radio system did you go with on your setup. I am looking at the Hitec Laser 4 with the HS-81 servos all around. It is kind of weird on the great planes website they say to use a rather high torque servo (futaba3101, TS10, or CS12) but in the manual photos they are using futaba 3107 servos with quite a bit less torque then the suggested servos.

With the lighter setup do you have to be careful not to fly on days with much wind? That was one of the things that I kind of liked about the Super Sportster EP is that even though it has a higher wing loading it can fly on days with a little wind out there. Thanks again.

Tim
Old 02-14-2005, 04:14 PM
spicedcrab

i used the futaba 4YF MICRO R114F with three 3107 servos, the torque is fine and they are fast. im not familar with other radios so dont want to comment on something i dont know about. i cant say on the wind either i have always flown on calm days. i believe it will take wind with the best of any other plane though, its so responsive and feels so good, i think it will be good, im just a new pilot and am not ready for the extra challenge the wind would bring yet. but the plane is very stable thats why i think it will do well. also, have you flown before? i dont think i could fly this plane if i didnt learn on a slow stick 1st. things can happen real fast with this type of plane even if it is very stable.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:10 PM
toddhosfeld

My fly experience consists of a Sig Kadet Senior .40 a FW-190 .60 and 400 hours in full size cessnas and pipers. I have a private, instrument and commercial pilots license on file with the FAA. I also have complex time in a cessna cutlass. I pretty sure I have some good knowledge and understanding of these models. I also have stick time on Gs2 flight sim. I have some r/c time and real plane time. Thanks for the info on the 3107, glad to see they will work with this setup.

tim
Old 02-14-2005, 05:57 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

If you're looking for a cheap motor upgrade, try the Kyosho Magnetic Meyhem for $20. It's not brushless but it's more powerful than the stock motor. I'm using one in a Great Planes Electrostreak. It's a great flyer and my second with this motor.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:07 PM
guapoman2000

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: MrMulligan

If you're looking for a cheap motor upgrade, try the Kyosho Magnetic Meyhem for $20. It's not brushless but it's more powerful than the stock motor. I'm using one in a Great Planes Electrostreak. It's a great flyer and my second with this motor.
I am sorry but, I feel this motor is not a very good canidate for a light and rather small model such as the "mini" Super Sportster EP by Great Planes. As a matter of fact it is not even good for the larger version Super Sportster EP by the same company because:

You are welcome to try the Magnetic Mayhem but, let me tell you about this motor:

1. Tips the digital scale at a whopper of 8 oz without the gearbox.
2. The reverse Mayhem delivers 2100 RPM/Volt at best.
3. For the same or equal performance of a higher RPM/Volt motor it requires more cells (Voltage) such that the prop speed is adequate but, the smaller 4 X 5 and softer carbon brushes really can’t take too much AMP draw.

The only time I used the Magnetic Mayhem was about one year ago when I maiden my large 65.5 inch wing span, high wing sport trainer, World Models Sky Raider MACH-I that tips the digital scale at 5.5 lbs and it flew with the Magnetic Mayhem (reverse rotation) in the GD-600 gearbox (3.8:1 ratio) and 10-Cells, GP-3300mAH. Once I switched to the Endoplasma 16-turn that allowed me to fly the same model with just 8-cells, I have never looked at the Magnetic Mayhem, especially for a small wing span model such as the Super Sportster EP.

Your suggestive recommendation to use the Magnetic Mayhem in this model will produce a super high wing loading model such that at the slightest hard node over landing the Fuse may crack or completely break off.

A long Can Speed 400 or the Graupner 480 should be a better selection if you still like to keep it inexpensive.

Best of luck
Carlos
Old 02-28-2005, 03:05 PM
lwj

If anyone is interested. Hobby Lobby is selling the Jetti 40amp brushless speed control for $29!!! It lists for $94 regularly. My buddies and I just bought 6 or these. The sale price doesn't show up until you click on the buy button. Great price for this ESC.

We also tried a 3cell Lipo 3200 Mah ,20C discharge battery in the stock electric Super Sport. It makes it really perform. Only problem is it is now putting out 40amp at full throttle. Not sure how long the stock speed control and motor will last . Flying at lower throttle keeps amps down to reasonable level. I was wondering if using a smaller prop would bring the amp draw down to safer level? Any thoughts on this will be appreciated. Probably will go brushless eventually.

lwj
Old 03-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Jerseymac

JEC403 - JES 40-3P CONTROLLER W/CONN. SALE

Thats the part number that came up when I ordered 2 of them from Hobby Lobby.
Thanks! Thats a great deal with over $65 off. Don't know how much longer that sale will run.

By the way, how does the sportster handle on landing?
I haven't flown mine yet but the G2 flight sim sportster is a little hairy to land.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:54 PM
lwj

Glad to hear you were able to pick up a couple of the speed controls. It was an unannounced sale , so I'm not sure how long it will last either.

The Sportster isn't a problem to land, but it isn't a trainer. Any intermediate pilot should be able to land it without any problem, just keep the speed up slightly so as not to stall it and you should be fine.