Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

World Models Fun World EP

Anyone have or hear anything about this airplane? I saw one at my LHS and it really looks pretty nice. Much nicer than in the web advertisement.

http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/p...?airplaneid=75
    Tweet

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: World Models Fun World EP

Yes,

My buddy has a thread at the other RC place and it has a detailed buildup and thread showing and telling you how he has enjoyed it.

E-mail me at

guapoman20002001@yahoo.com

for more details.

Carlos

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is one of my favorite airplanes to date! I fly mine with an AXI 2826/10 Jeti 40 amp ESC, Ultimate UBEC,
    two Kokam 2 cell 7.4 v 2000mah packs wired in series, 13x8 APC e prop. My plane weighs 2lbs 11oz. It has power to spare.
    I get about 10 minute flight times with these packs.

I just bought some longer servo arms for my elevator setup, because I am not getting max throw from the stock servo
    arms that came with my Hitec HS-81 metal gears that I am using all around.

I love the way this plane flies, fast or slow it is very stable, it can do any trick in the book. I have not practiced hoovering
    too much because I need a bit more throw on elevator and it has been a bit windy every time I have flown, it does handle wind
    well, I have been flying it in 10- 15 mph winds with no problems.

I would streghthen the area where the landing gear is attached to the plane. My landing gear broke off during a rough landing
    but that was my fault, I was not paying attention ! Even if I had streghthened it before that landing, it probably would have still
    broken off. I had many very good slow touchdowns before that happened, I just got cocky!

I really like this plane!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How about this?
    Visit my Web Hangar at www.gregcovey.com/rc.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, Greg's review is great. I modeled my battery setup after his.
    his tooth pick idea for for securing the wing dowels and providing a tighter
    fit is a very good idea which I incorporated as well.

The only thing I do not like about this plane is the "bird wing" design
    on the bottom of the airplane. I may experiment with taking it off and leaving
    just the blue color sceme or replace with another design (stripes).

Aside from that, this plane rocks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice review, Greg. I actually have a 4120/14 but am must putting it on a NE Sail Accord R&R. Can't wait to fly it.

I love these electric airplanes. Tons of fun and no mess. I don't remember what a dead stick is.
    Tweet

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As an alternative to the 4120, use the lighter AXI 2826/10 motor on either a 10-cell NiCd pack or 3s Lithium pack with a 13" or 14" prop. This motor was not available when I did my review.

I am currently using the 2826/10 in my Fun World EP on the same 4-cell Kokam 2AH pack. The plane balances without any tailweight. I dropped a total of 6oz by swapping motors and removing the tailweight but maintained the same ballistic power.

For $99, this ARF model is tough to beat!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Greg,

Good advice on the AXI. I am learning that if you are smart you can have an array of controller, motors, and batteries and can mix and match to suit your needs as you go along. I don't yet have a motor in the 28xx size so it would be a good add.
    Tweet

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Greg,

What kind of flight times do you get with the 2AH 4S pack? Motocalc tells me they would be pretty short.

I'm playing around with the numbers for both the 2826/10 and the 2826/12. With a 4S rather than a 3S battery it looks like the 2826/12 might be a better choice...
    Tweet

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Motocalc's flight times are based upon full throttle setting. The 2826 setup on 4s accellerates going vertical at only half throttle. For most of the flight, you are about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle so you get a solid 10 minutes for aerobatics and 3D maneuvers.

Either wind motor will work on a 3s or 4s setup. You simply adjust the prop size accordingly for a reasonable current at full throttle. You can also adjust the prop size for a better sweet spot when hovering.

Don't take Motocalc too seriously, especially with brushless motors as it thinks they overheat when you just look at them. Use Motocalc as a starting point and then fine tune the setup with a wattmeter.

I never use Motocalc anymore. I simply use a general watts/lb value. Basically, you can take your all-up weight and multiply it by 50 for trainers, 100 for aerobatic/pattern, or 150 for high performance/3D to get your approximate motor power needed at full throttle.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good Morning Greg,

Talk about response.

I've found that Motocalc tends to underestimate things (current and thrust) for any given setup.

It looks to me like a 2826/12 with a 4S 2000mah TP or similar with a 14x7 would give me 10-12 minutes of spirited flying and would not risk frying my battery or speed control.
    Tweet

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 14" prop may scrape on occasion so you might want to also have some 13" props handy as backup.

I flew my Fun World EP last weekend. After I landed it on a paved parking lot, a wind gust came up after it was sitting there for 15 seconds and turned the plane over onto its back and sent it scraping across the pavement for 10'. Just a few scrapes and broken aileron but it had me shaking my head in disbelief. Lots of lift and wingarea on this rather light 3D design which is why it flies and slows down like a dream!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey there,

Looks like the thread is getting a little dated, but wondered how everyone was doing after all this time with their fun world? I just bought one, got a heck of a deal on it. So after reading Greg's review I bought a 2826/10 and two Kokum 2000 7.4v paks. I already had a Jeti 40.
    I just got the servos in and piled the motor controller both packs and the motor in and weighed it. Was I surprised to see 40 ounces[8D] throw in an ounce for linkage and a couple of decals. That's way under the supposed 53oz. advertised. I guess they were talking NiCd. This thing should be a rocket at 41oz. Mickey Gem how was yours in hover since we are almost identical?
    Also can somebody tell me how you wire the 2p Kokum 2000 to a series 4s2p. Is that correct for 2X2cell in series? That should give me 2000Mah @ 14.8volts and 30 amps, if I am correct? I belive this is what Mickey-gem and Greg used, just need to know how to wire it. Any help is really appreciated as this is my first venture to larger electrics. Also do I need a regulator at this configuration so I dont over volt the servos? Sorry but I am a newbie to this larger stuff.

Zoom Zoom - Park 400
    Lil Banchee - AXI 2212/26
    Tensor - Park 370/1080 outrunner
    Three Dee - Nippy 1812/100

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Fun World EP is still the best value 50" span 3D plane on the market and it is my favorite plane for having aerobatic fun.

In your 4s setup, you'll want the two 2-cell Kokam 2AH packs wired in series to a single plug that goes to the ESC. See the diagram below for wiring cells or packs in series. You can either make up your own adapter from connectors or use the
    FMACO3S Series Module w/Deans Ultra Connectors.

My current setup in the Fun World EP is using the AXI 2826/10 with a 3s2p Kokam 2AH pack. I wired two 3-cell packs in parallel. This configuration still provides ballistic power and doubles the duration by only adding 2 more cells.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr51615.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	286565  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi all

Thanks Greg for the diagram. I may just by the FMA series strip for hooking up the battery packs. I get very nervous about connecting LiPo together and makeing a mistake.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi All,

Great to see more activity on this thread! My Fun World arrived today and I am anxious to get it up and flying. A friend had one that was absolutely ballistic - until we competed in the Limbo section of our Fun Fly on the weekend - you can guess what happened can't you!!! He was going at max speed to beat another guy under the limbo tape and went a little too low - end result a million pieces of Fun World! Sad to see but at least the engine & gear is all recoverable - he didn't even breat the prop.

So to a couple of questions:

1. I will either go with the AXI 2826/12 or a Hyperion 3025/10. The latter looks to be similar to the AXI specified (see http://www.aircraft-world.com/prod_d.../z3025spec.htm) however the Hyperion has much lower internal resistance (25 mOhs vs. 62 mOhs)- does anyone know if this is better or worse? Also what does the "I zero" rating mean on the spec sheet?

2. I've seen many guys have been using Hitec HS85's and I was planning to do the same but have just seen some GWS units "Mini" that are rated at 47 oz, weigh 0.86 oz and have a speed of 0.19 sec and they are heaps cheaper over here. Any views on these?

3. Greg, I've noted that you have moved to a 3s2p setup what prop are you runing with now? Are you using the APC "slow fly" or the APC "e" type prop on this?

4. I'm also debating whether to use a separate flight pack or to use a ubec, any views on this beting better or worse. Obviously weight is int he ubec's favour but is there a real risk of interference from the ubec at such high currents?

Anyway, hoping you knowledgable guys can help me out here, I'm itching to get this thing running!!!

All the best, Simon
    Check out www.qpfa.org.au for info about aerobatics in Queensland
    Wife:How many more planes do you need? Me:One more.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys

Well here I sit without a prop, if I didnt live in such a backwater area then I could just pick one up at the LHS[:@]. Unfortunatly the hobbie shops around here are just starting to expand into e-power but most are only stocking stuff for the smaller 10 - 16 oz. planes. Anyway I will have to order a couple of the APC e-power props for my AXI 2826/10 and get them via snail mail[&o].
    Twoturn I think the 2826/12 you selected should be a little better choice for the Fun World with the lower Kv/volt. Are you going with the 3s packs? I saw a Bullit Rc plane fly today with a 2826/10 weighing about 45oz. Oh! thats 1,275 grams I think to you. Anyway it was a rocket. Extreme vertical performance. This is more of a go fast type plane though, these 26 series motors should produce plenty ofhover power for us. http://www.bulletrcaircraft.com/
    The interesting part about that flight was He was useing the new Kokum 3200Mah 3cell 20C pack. It's $150 [:-] in the Hobby Lobby catalog but I was impressed and it eliminates series wireing, unless of course you want even more[].
    Well hope I will get in the air this next week sometime[8D].

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey It's about ready to go

Just finished it AUW is 41oz with batteries on board. I will say, that this was not the best model as far as the instructions go that I have ever built, but then the price is really good and the quality is pretty fair. Those wig screw holes are a Bbbbad thing to find.[:@] I have the WM clipped cub, as well as the .40 size cap232 (ex-cap RIP). Good flyers hope this one is to.
    Thought I would post a couple of pictures if I can get it to upload . I still need to wire up a series connector for my 2p 2000 Kokums. I fierd it up with a small TP 2100 3cell pack just to test it[8D]. Astro Watt meter indicated about 330Watts @ 38Amps with my 12X6 APC slow fly prop. Wow talk about hover power, at about one click past mid-throttle
    I think I will consider the new Kokum 3200mah 11.1v @20c Hobby Lobby cat. page 85, when I get $. That will give it the convienance of a one battery pack system and hoverability at a little over half throttle, and with throttle managment I would guess 13 to 15 minutes flight time. This hobby gets better all the time
    [img][/img]

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl29248.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	287612   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb88745.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	287613  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Simon,

I'm using an APC 13x8 e-prop.

Since my 3s2p setup worked so well, there was only one way to top it. I decided to beta-test a 3-cell Skyvolt pack with Kokam 3.2AH cells. The pack and Discharge Protection Module fit great and my single 3-cell pack can deliver 64amps continuous so I never come close to the limit. Best of all, the Skyvolt system has protection when discharging and cell balancing when charging so I can never hurt the pack no matter how hard it is abused with 3D maneuvers. About 60 seconds before the pack (or weakest cell) is depleted, the motor is pulsed to let you know it is time to land. No more motor cutoffs when hovering!

For details go here.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Greg,

Excellent stuff, appreciate the info.

All my kit arrived today to complete the model so I'm looking forward to a couple of nights of building to get it all together, should be great. I'll post all the details once it comes together.

All the best, Simon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well at long last I have it all together, only real issue was that the holes for the wing mount screws were not drilled. Maybe this is a commmon problem as Greg mentioned it in his construction article. Weight including a 2200MAH 4S pack is 1230 gms (43.3 oz), a Hyperion 3025/10 motor, Phoenix 45, JR R610 Rx, 4 x GWS Mini MG servos and UBEC.

Two issues remain before I get it in the air - firstly I'm getting terrible interference (regardless of whether the motor is running or not). So I will need a little time to diagnose (it was late last night when I finished up!!).

The other issue is is C of G. With the battery as far forward as I can get it I am tail heavy with the c of g at 115mm (4.5 inches) behind the LE, the manual states that it should be at 100mm (3.9 inches). Can I fly it like this or should I add some weight to the nose? Would really appreciate advice on this one before I fly the thing.[/font]

All the best, Simon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Simon, I haven't put mine together yet so can't help you. Hopefully, one of the other guys can.

Which motor and battery did you end up with? I have a 2826/12 and was planning to use a TP Prolite 4S1P which should give me about a ten mintute flight and have terrific vertical, but if you are going 3S I am curious to see how that works out for you.

Let us know.

Cheers.
    Tweet

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Tweet,

Have had excellent advice from Greg Covey on the C of G issue -which is no issue! Interference issue seems to be related to proximity of Rx and ESC and me being close to the whole thing, I think I've got that licked now.

My setup is an Hyperion 3025/10 (very similar to the Axi 28/26/12), Phoenix 45, JR R610, Polyquest 2200 4S 12-16C, Hyperion 5.0V UBEC.

This project continues to be fairly frustrating as I have yet another issue (never had so many issues on one plane!!!). With a fresh charge I am getting 6300rpm on an APC 13x6.5e at 19.3amps and 12.8v at half throttle. The motor then cuts when I push it any higher than this. My logic was that with a 4S setup I should only need about 25amps to generate the same thrust as a 3S setup at 33amps, what I didn't factor in was that the motor actually runs faster with the higher voltage and therefore I would need to limit the throttle accordingly. At the end of the day the battery I am using has too low a capacity, especially since it will only source 8-9C as against it's rated 12C-16C rating - very irritating.

I'm now planning to go back to a 3S setup - either 2 x 2000mah 16C packs or 1 x 4000mah 10C pack, I think either one would do the job but I would get greater flexibility with the 2 x 2000mah arrangement. What I want to be certain of now is that the batteries I buy will deliver the current they say they will.

Re your setup I would make sure that your 4S pack will supply 35a continuous or you may have the same problem that I am currently having.

All the best, Simon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The TP Prolite 4S1P is listed for 20-24A continuous and 40A burst. According to Motocalc with a 2826/12 and a 13x6.5 prop with 4S I should draw 27Amps and produce 59 ounces of thrust for this 45 ounce max model at full throttle. Of course I won't be at full throttle most of the time so I should be in great shape. I really wanted to keep this airplane light, which is why I went to the 4S1P rather than 3S2P. Long flight times were not the goal since this is an airplane I can fly at home. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

I hope it does work. I have heard good things about the TP Pro Lites and I should not be exceeding their specifications. The 3S2P setup would have been a much better match for the 2826/10 rather than the 2826/12 I have.
    Tweet

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Tweet,

Polyquest 2200 4S that I have is rated at 26amps cont and 36amps burst. I tested again this morning and found that (after the battery was warm - I didn't realise this made such a large difference) that I could get at best 26 amps for 309 watts turning a 13x6.5e at 6600. Clearly this is much lower than the specs for the battery.

I hope you will have better luck with your cells and will be interested to learn how you go.

All the best, Simon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast