Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Super Sportster EP with Modified Power System

Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Great Planes Super Sportster EP with Modified Power System

Old 02-27-2005, 12:43 PM
guapoman2000

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Great Planes Super Sportster EP with Modified Power System

Dear Super Sportster EP Fans:

I have finally converted my Great Planes Super Sportster EP to fly with a modified Power System. No, I did not install the Kyosho Endoplasma 16-turn brushed motor but, instead I used a combo setup from Great Planes and sold by Tower Hobby known as the S-600GD Power System.

My model has flown half a dozen flights now with this power system and can tell all of you how great this setup is. Provides the model with much more prop speed and has transformed the model into a true SPORT model.

The S-600GD Power Setup includes the following:

1. EPIC 19-turn Brushed Motor with replaceable 4 X 5 Brushes.
2. Great Planes Electrify GD-600 gearbox.
3. Prop. Adapter with set screw.
4. APC Sport 9 X 8
5. 15 tooth and 18 tooth pinion for (3:1 and 2.5:1 ratios)

There are two combos, one with the ESC and the other without....I ordered the one without since I can use the Stock 30 AMP ESC that came with the Super Sportster EP.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48141.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	235587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57952.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	235588  
Old 02-27-2005, 01:50 PM
jimbo45cn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Super Sportster EP with Modified Power System

guapo, I think you are as addicted as I am. I jumped over here last night since the
"other" group has been offline for two days. Glad to see you are having great success with the super sportster. I am trying a new power set up in my Thunder Tiger bipe conversion this week. Will let all know how it works out. Jim
Old 02-27-2005, 02:00 PM
phat23

Hey, Carlos -

Yeah, I'm over here on RCU, too. The other site is trying my patience lately.

Couple of questions on your Sportster EP. Which pinion are you using? What's you WOT amps? How many amps can that Epic 19T handle?

OK....three questions.

Old 02-27-2005, 02:29 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: phat23

Hey, Carlos -

Yeah, I'm over here on RCU, too. The other site is trying my patience lately.

Couple of questions on your Sportster EP. Which pinion are you using? What's you WOT amps? How many amps can that Epic 19T handle?

OK....three questions.

Yeah guys according to the moderators of RCGROUPS, they tell me that they have not been kelpt in the loop with any information as to why the Web Site has gone down or how long it will be until it comes back up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using the 15 tooth pinion for 3:1 ratio and the APC "Sport" 9 X 8 Prop. using my 7-Cells, GP-3300mAH, Ni-MH's and it draws 25.6 AMPs at wide open throttle "Steady."

I think that considering the smaller 4 X 5 brushes, this EPIC 19-Turn is perhaps at the higher end limit and estimate maximum 28-30 AMPs at Wide Open Throttle. Of course, since I am using the Stock 30 AMP ESC that the model came with, I will not surpass 30 AMPs in any given configuration.

Carlos
Old 02-27-2005, 02:34 PM
guapoman2000

A couple of pictures showing minor modifications at the Firewall to allow the endbell of the new EPIC motor to be inserted inside the model just a tad such that the "new" Prop adapter can be aligned just perfect with the Stock Cowling.

At first, the plan was to use the Madusa Spectrum 50 AMP ESC but, it was just too large for the compartment and decided to use it in my larger Glow-To-Electric conversions.

Carlos

Name:	Vs55710.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	235628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58858.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	235629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73892.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	235630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys50213.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	235631  
Old 02-27-2005, 02:43 PM
guapoman2000

With the new upgrade Great Planes S-600GD Power System, I model is exactly 7/8 oz lighter up front than with the stock 550 can motor and metal gearbox.

Here's a picture showing a comparision of the two motors. Notice the shorter length of the EPIC motor.

Another pic shows the installation of the capacitors on the new EPIC motor and notice the smaller 4 X 5 brushes.

Name:	Nl29738.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	235632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23778.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	235633  
Old 02-27-2005, 02:51 PM
guapoman2000

Incredible, the model with this inexpensive upgrade (Great Planes S-600GD) took off into very gusty, windy and at times turbulent conditions coming from the North – North West direction while at my Club, Moon Port Modelers of Titusville, Florida. (Check out the weather forecast from yesterday!)[:-]

The prop. Speed was adequate to penetrate the head on wind and it tracked like if it was on rails. Performed consecutive loops and rolls plus a hammer head and brought her in after 5 minutes and 40 seconds of almost Full Throttle!

Just take a look at the wind conditions! Those at the club was very quiet as I was flying my Super Sportster EP on account that they all have one and flying the stock power setup. One member came since he could not contain his excitement and asked me to order him a complete power system for his Super Sportster EP that is still in the box.

Carlos

Name:	Vt56955.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	235634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55285.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	235635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96516.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	235636  
Old 02-27-2005, 03:13 PM
guapoman2000

Great Planes inexpensive Power System Upgrade current draw measurments.

Pic's showing the final off the charger measured voltage of my 7-Cell, GP-3300mAH, Ni-MH and the initial measured No-Load Voltage of the Battery when connected to the ASTRO FLIGHT 101 Watt Meter.

The last pic shows the Quarter Throttle measurement....

Name:	He97348.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	235644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17158.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	235645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty63997.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	235646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97459.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	235647  
Old 02-27-2005, 03:18 PM
guapoman2000

Great Planes inexpensive Power System Upgrade (S-600GD) current draw measurements continued....

Half, 3/4 and Full throttle measurements.

Notice that the Full Throttle is a little blurry as a result from the thrust and vibration, sorry, however, Full Throttle measured 25.6 AMPS, 8 Volts Under Load, and 206 Watts.

Name:	By76299.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	235648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35105.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	235649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61884.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	235650  
Old 02-27-2005, 03:41 PM
guapoman2000

This inexpensive Power System from Great Planes has been so successful that I have ordered two more S-660GD's and several other Sport Props to test with.

One S-600GD is a favor for a member at Moon Port Modelers who asked me to order it for him since he really does not realy get into all the details of gear ratios, Volts, Watts etc... This upgrade power system is pretty much a drop in replacement for the stock and it provides the use of the Stock 30 AMP ESC and Stock SC2100 battery. Using the APC Sport 9 X 8 prop. and 3.0:1 gear ratio, the AMP draw is almost exactly the same as the Stock can 550 motor with the 2.1:1 ratio and super large 12 X 10 prop.

Notice that I was able to get each S-600GD power system for $33.99 instead of the regular $37.99 as a result of becoming Super Saver Club member at Tower Hobby! There was another flyer with a code that waived the regular ground shipping cost as well! I saved about $16.00 total.

Name:	Db84437.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	235654  
Old 02-28-2005, 08:03 PM
guapoman2000

Video clip of my Great Planes Super Sportster EP at the Space Center and flying with the "inexpensive"
Upgrade Power System by Great Planes, the S-600GD Power System!

Go to my Gallery at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1

Enjoy and keep your $$$ in your wallet!
Old 03-01-2005, 05:45 AM
guapoman2000

Okay, here the Video of the landing !

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=500&page=1

This model just glides super nice!
Old 03-03-2005, 01:13 PM
guapoman2000

After a very long stay with the other Remote Control information board known as RCGROUPS, I have got to a point of just unbearable no return. It appears that this board is full of not only people looking for help on their R/C flying Models but, there's people in there that have a vested interest $$$ in seeing you and I spend more than what is necessary in this hobby and for everyone to be brain washed to think that you can not fly an R/C model with less expensive gear such that one moderator communicated to me that he was going to place three threads discussing three different power systems (granted the same model) into one Giant thread.

In my experiences in the past, this just crashes the thread to a senseless garbled mess since you would have three types of people discussing three different power systems in one thread and make the thread just useless since it would be very hard to follow.

Those that have complained have a vested interest $$$ to rather not have these kind of threads and make you and I beleive that if you don't have brushless gear, it would not fly the way it should or that it will make your flying just that special....beleive me...this is just a bunch of horse pocky. All they want is to take out your green-backs out from your wallet or purse.

I am glad to announce that RCU will be my permanent home from now on and will try to upload pic's and videos here of my successes.

Yours,
Carlos (guapoman2000 @ RCU)!
Old 03-03-2005, 01:42 PM
toddhosfeld
My Feedback: (2)

Guapoman,

Welcome aboard, I know many a times I have sent you questions regarding this great model (sun.flyer logon) and every single time you have sent me a response back. I am married with two beautiful kids and a mutt for a dog and am always looking for the best bang for the buck in this hobby. After following your threads (all three of them) I purchased this model and have had great success with it not only in the flying aspect but in the building portions. I have never built a r/c plane before, flown them yes, but never built, and your threads helped me out tremendously helping me fill in some of the gaps and questions that the manual did not answer or spell out clearly. It is a shame that so many people out there feel that the only way to fly a model any more is brushless with expensive setups. Hey, if I had the money I might but guess what I don't. I am just an average joe making an average income and trying to stay in a hobby that I have loved since I can remember.

So you keep on keeping on guapoman, there are those of us out there that enjoy your threads. If that means one thread on a plane or 10 different threads on the same plane, I will continue to read them all. This hobby can be enjoyed by all as it was ment to be.

Peace, I'm out!!

Hos
Old 03-07-2005, 10:38 AM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello all,
just looking for some information on the great planes super sportster stock set up, as i just ordered mine and it should be here in a few days. im looking for info on flight performance and duration with the stock set up ? and also useing different MAH batterys ? also is this plane able to ROG of a closely mowed grass field if bigger wheels are used and the pants are left off ? thanks for any and all help.

bassman
Old 03-08-2005, 10:25 AM
twilly123

bassman
Try this link, get a chair it's a long read but well worth the time.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313871
Old 03-08-2005, 04:52 PM
bassmanh

twilly,
thanks for the link it helped to answer alot of my questions and to make me really look forward to getting my new SS . all though im thinking about using a belt drive unit i have here that doesn not need to have the motor reversed so it should give me very good efeicency. and im goiong to be using scr 2400 and GP3300 7 cell packs as i have these for my big axified corsair and trainer and AT-6 texan. looks like i will need to move the servos and receiver back to help lose some of the nose weight problem people are having with this plane.

at any rate it looks like it will be a fun plane to fly and just goof off with. and maybe experiment with

bassman
Old 03-09-2005, 10:55 AM
Wizard61
My Feedback: (7)

Bassmanh:

I have been flying the Super Sportster in stock condition for two weeks now. I have about 15 flights so far. I looked at the link to the RCGroups thread and noticed that most of those guys were complaining of 3 to 4 minute flights. I am charging my stock Ni Cad packs with a Vision Peak charger at the 4 Amp cycle. This is giving me a pretty hot charge and I am seeing 8 to 9 minute flights. My background is in gas planes. I decided to try to find an electric plane that I could fly at work to get more stick time. Most that I have tried have been way under powered and really a handful to fly. This one is great!

Regards,

James Andrews
Old 03-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Jerseymac

Glad to see you over here on RCU Guapoman.
I was up til 2am going through your start to finish effort on the Sportster.
It was like reading a novel. Tons of detail that most people leave out.
Great job.

I am glad I caught your thread before I flew my Sportster. Going to start mods on it tonight.

Old 03-09-2005, 01:29 PM
toddhosfeld

Wizard61,

What kind of flying are you doing to get that long of flight time with 8 to 9 mins. on the stock pack? Are you even hitting half throttle? If you are that is excellent time with the stock nicad pack. I was also looking at going to the scr 2400 or gp 3300mah packs but I know this will add more weight up front which I am not to fond of. Are you flying off of a hard surface or grassing it? Thanks

Hos
Old 03-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Wizard61

Hello Hos:

I am flying off of a parking lot and road next to my building. Most of the time I am flying at 3/4 throttle. My last flight yesterday lasted 8 min. and 46 sec.

I talked to a R/C car guy who races to try to find out how I could get more time in the air. He told me to hot charge my battery packs. It will reduce their life span somewhat, but befor I go and spend $160.00 on a brushless motor, ESC, and Li Po batteery pack, etc., I can buy quite a few stock packs at $21.99 each. I have not had any problems yet with the batteries. All those batteries will probably last longer than the plane. He also told me that on a fairly regular basis I should completely discharge the packs and then slow charge them to keep the packs from getting a memory. He told me that if I did this the packs would probably last about 4 to 6 months.

Hope this helps.

James Andrews
Old 03-09-2005, 03:05 PM
bassmanh

james,

thanks for the post great to hear it flies so well with stock set up. are you flying from hard surface or grass ? or hand launching it ? as i said i have a belt drive unit i might like to try just to see what difference it makes in flight times and performance. the belt drive i have is from hobby lobby and still uses a speed 600 motor. here is the link to it if anyone is interested. it is a 2.3:1 olympus belt drive,so i will be trying a 12x6 prop and the stock 12x10 and see what my astro flight watt meter says

http://hobby-lobby.com/drives.htm

mitch
Old 03-09-2005, 03:12 PM
bassmanh

hello all,

whats up with this site ? ive been haveing trouble post replys lately.so sorry for the same questions that todd had asked, it just took me forever to get that post to go on. and in my last post i forgot to mention im moving up to 3" light foam wheels for grass field. well again thanks for the info.

mitch
Old 03-09-2005, 03:18 PM
Wizard61

Hello Mitch:

I am flying from a paved surface. The plane takes off great, the tail comes up quickly. My flight times all include a take-off. I have not tried a hand launch. The plane would probably handle it OK.

Regards,

James Andrews
Old 03-09-2005, 03:34 PM
toddhosfeld

James,

Forgive me of my ignorance but what are you doing different with a "hot charge" than you would a regular charge of the pack. The reason I ask is if I can get that flight time with the stock pack and average performance I might not buy the Sanyo HR-SC2600 or the GP3300 packs I was thinking about buying. I'll just buy more of the stock packs with that flight time. Thanks

Hos

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.