Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

A Stock Wattage Plane that Flies!!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

A Stock Wattage Plane that Flies!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 04:46 PM
On The EDGE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Stock Wattage Plane that Flies!!

I just maidened my STOCK Wattage WildCat Cobalt 400 ARF from Global Hobbies and all I can say is 'WOAH!'

Dispite very hard reviews on the Wattage planes and their Amp pulling Cobalt 400 motors, I had a BLAST(!!) with mine this evenign at the park!

I read many reviews about the so called "flying bricks" and although this is true, the Cobalt realy pulls the bricks around with plinty of spunk!

I flew mine with the 400Cobalt and a GreatPlanes 8cell 1100mAh battery spinning a 7x5 prop(LHS was out of 7x4s) on a GreatPlanes 30A ESC and 3 HS-55 servoes and one standard Rx.

I trimed mine to the specs in the manuel and the "Test Flight" controle throws and headed out to the field with a warm battery.

I have to admit that after reading review after review on how crappy and heavy Wattage planes were that I was very nervous that it woudl just make like and ostrage off the first toss and goose its nose into the ground, but lo' and behold, just from a level toss it climbed out at a 30* angle to about 200ft in less than 20seconds!

I added some down trim to get it climbing at a 15* angle so I wouldnt stall it when I was flying at 1/2 throttle(yes, these "Flying Bricks" can accualy crusi around nicly at 1/2 throttle or less!)

I noticed it was turning a bit to the left, so I added 2 clicks of right aileron for a perfect strain flight path and turned it back tward me and did a very nice and fast(even on low throws) axil roll!
I then turned back upwind to attempt a loop and not quite having teh feel of it yet I didnt pull up enough and made a much larger loop than intended, but it still pulled its self VERY well with no stall or rolling tendancies from strait and level!

"WOW!" again, I said....

At that point, only after 2 circuts around my pattern I KNEW that this was no dud, like the reviews said it was! This thing was a smooth, greased rocket!

I was fully in love with this model and coudl already do any # of aerobatic manuvers(keep in mind this is the stock setup!) including LARGE, and small loops, inverted flight, rolls(barrel and axil) and hammer heads.

Im sure it will perform outside loops and knife edge, but I didnt have enough time or rudder throw to try them.

I then turned on final after a low inverted pass after i noticed the BEC cutting in after a 8min, full throttle flight and cut throttle about 50ft up and glided(yes, I said glided!) this beauty back down to Earth with a nice belly landing(no main LG installed)!

I have to say that most, if not all the reviews on the "awful" Wattage "Flyign Bricks" are wrong, because I have proved that these babies will perform, fast or slow, mild or wild, just as Wattage says!

I am VERY happy with mine, and if it can do that amazing on the mainen, I cant emagine what I'll be able to pull off in the futur!

So, listen up all you Wattage critics!
These things DO fly, and fly well STOCK!

So i fyour into getting a good aerobatic ARF parkie, look up the Wattage Wild Cat or Mad Dog NOW!

-Jake
Old 04-27-2005, 01:16 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: A Stock Wattage Plane that Flies!!

Hi;Just a hint on the landing gear!Don't install as theysay will rip out the whole bottom and the wing mount too.I wanted the gear so took the standard gear and used coupole of those lkittle nylon gear plates?that they nsell for mounting gear.Put them acroos the wide part of the gear just ahead of the wing mount.Then I hook couple rubber bands up over the fron of plane with just enough tension to supporet plane.Now on landing it will fold back without any damage except may be some scratches to the belly.That plastic fuselage doesn't take to being repaired!!Don't know what you are supposed to do woith it probably what I did order another one!!Agree it is nice plane and does glide very well,not like my Wattage 330 extra that glides like a large rock!!Good luck!
Old 05-03-2005, 04:38 PM
carlosre

These plastic bodies are actually very easy to fix. Just get another piece of plastic and place it over the damaged area and put some super glue on it. Be careful not to glue your fingers to the model holding the pieces together, I use small hemostats (clamps). I've tried putting the patch inside and outside of the bodies and I can't say which looks best, but the repairs work well and I haven't bought any extra plastic parts since.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:00 AM
On The EDGE

I'll keep that in mind, carlosre! Thanks

Im still having a blast amazing the Nitro guys and my field with it! One guy is thinking about ordering one or 2!
Old 05-07-2005, 10:53 AM
carlosre

Try the Pitts.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:35 PM
On The EDGE

I just built the Pitts for BL power for my friend.

It shoudl fly soon after he gets back form JoeNal
Old 05-07-2005, 10:32 PM
carlosre

There is a good picture of my Pitts on the Comets web site (www.vccomets.com) club pictures - page 2. I'm not a club member and the plane didn't perform well, there's a reason for this that you'll see, but some one liked it enough to show it. This model is more fun than should be legal.