Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Thrust Angle/Panic

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 10:00 PM
Jobu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thrust Angle/Panic

I have a Mountain Models Panic...cool plane. However, when flying medium to slow speed it seems as though the tail is lower than the wing(dragging). And when I pull up it really wants to point straight up. I really hovers easily(Himax2025-5356,3s).
I have the CG set about 1/2" forward of recomended position and it is balanced fine. Could it be the thrust angle is too low??

Thanks,
Joe
Old 04-08-2005, 10:29 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Thrust Angle/Panic

It sounds tail heavy to me. Either that, or the incedence angles of the wing and/or stab are off.

I don't think the thrust angle of the motor would cause what you're describing.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Jobu

I thought of that, but they look to be correct and true to the factory cuts. I looked at the video on their website and it looks like the plane shown has a high attack level too.
I am adding 1/4 lead and adjusting thrust angle a touch. Will report after tomorrow's flight.

Thanks Matt,
Joe
Old 04-15-2005, 03:12 PM
DougBinder

The Panic has a fully symmetrical wing so has to fly at a nose high attitude when going slowly. I could have changed the wing incidence but then the inverted flight would be affected.

Doug
Old 04-25-2005, 10:25 PM
Jobu

Doug,
Sorry about the late response...Thanks for chiming in.
I just want to tell you I have a SmoothE and it is the most used plane I have and also has lasted the longest .
It has been rebuilt and patched dozens of times and still flies excellant. I currently have a Himax 2025/4200 with 4.3:1 gears and a megatech 4blade 8x8 prop. You should see this thing move. I love the plane.
I also did some mods to the Panic like recess the 1500 lipo into the fuse before the wing and recess a rear ultralite gws 1" wheel into the rudder and add some strapping down the length of the fuse. It has a 2025/5300 Himax and hovers at about 1/3 throttle. It's automatic.
Thanks again, your planes rock. I recommend them all the time.
Joe